PDA

View Full Version : TRD early 4-2-1 header too small for ae111?

Grant #2
2nd October 2009, 06:28 PM
I just re-read some posts on the 20V engines, and I forgot that the blacktop has a larger exhaust port than the ST.

I have a 16V early TRD header with the o2 bung welded to just a pair of exhaust runners on the header. the bung is facing the front of the car.

I made it fit my 20v, but could the opening of the manifold be too small for my blacktop? I did not think to check this! Any advice?

biggo
3rd October 2009, 10:33 AM
thats the first ive heard of the exhaust port being bigger. It looked the same last time i check near on 2 years ago.

Can you get 2 pics?

Grant #2
3rd October 2009, 08:47 PM
I got it from Billzilla's site =\

black top is on bottom:
http://www.billzilla.org/black-silverexts.jpg

Sam-Q
3rd October 2009, 10:52 PM
yeah it is bigger, get the die grinder out and make the flange bigger, but only do it on the engine side not the pipes side or else you will have an issue. Pic of extractors?

Grant #2
4th October 2009, 05:51 AM
You mean, I might grind through the thin header material? Unfortunately the headers are on the engine right now.

Sam-Q
4th October 2009, 09:28 AM
?? do you mean the pipes stick through the flange to the engine side?

Grant #2
4th October 2009, 10:46 AM
No, I'm just trying to figure out why you are saying I will have an issue if I grind on the pipe side of the flange. I was thinking you meant I might run through the pipe accidentally.

Anyways, I'm thinking of tapering out from the header side to the engine side. Do I use like a dye to see where the manifold is actually sitting on the engine? putty? Not sure how to go about this..

Sam-Q
4th October 2009, 11:40 AM
yeah thats what I mean, well to mark it out grease is one trick, not the best though

Grant #2
4th October 2009, 12:34 PM
Before I go through all of this hassle, do you think a header designed for a 16V would cause enough of a restriction to be pretty noticeable? My mid-range is pretty strong now IMO, but I think it doesn't pull as hard up high as it should. But I really don't know, I drove a stock 20V on OEM electronics and I think my engine is better than that now. I'm not really sure what to expect!

Sam-Q
4th October 2009, 02:05 PM
I really need a pic of these pipes. Also I had an idea, if you just put a BT gasket on the flange you will know how far to grind

Grant #2
4th October 2009, 05:40 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/mttfob/DSC02348.jpg

That's the best I can do for now. Not my car or picture.

Sam-Q
4th October 2009, 10:34 PM
ok the way to check is to use a set of vernia's and see what pipe sizes you have. Anything less than 38mm primaries and 44.5mm secondaries might cause a restriction

tuned86
4th October 2009, 11:13 PM
Those give nice low-mid range power, i was certainly impressed with them on the street.

Hen may possibly be a nut
6th October 2009, 01:30 AM
I've seen a certain blacktop powered racecar which put down 123rwkw with a RWD 4AGE exhaust manifold (unsure if they were ported or stock). So I doubt your extractors will be a restriction.

Hen

Grant #2
6th October 2009, 07:15 AM
Thanks for that bit of info..I suppose if it WAS ported you could enlarge it quite a bit though!