PDA

View Full Version : brake-in the brakes

Rice86
6th October 2009, 06:58 PM
What do you do when you have brand new brake pads that you just installed?...

i was reading how they build the R35 GTR...and something along the lines of

"One by one the GT-Rs are driven out onto the test course that wraps around the factory grounds. Here a group of testers drive the cars to check that everything is working as it should as well as taking care of some bed-in procedures. These are done to brake-in the Brembo brakes and the clutches in the GR6 dual-clutch gearbox. To do this the cars are lined up, accelerated hard up to the top of third gear at which point the tester goes hard on the brakes keeping his right foot planted on the accelerator."

caught my attention...

so is there a process that we should consider too when changing to new brake pads/shoes?...

racsov
6th October 2009, 08:07 PM
general rule of thumb

accelerate to 100, brake sharply to 60. repeat a few times. dont overuse them, and dont get them hot then stop the car and hold them on

driftke70
6th October 2009, 09:24 PM
yeah biggest thing is to not hold them on when you have stopped.

if they get polished and squeeky you can pull them out and give em a quick rub on some flat concrete or something.

Cerby86
6th October 2009, 10:02 PM
that bedding in procedure has been written on the packaging of every set of pads i've ever bought.

pope
6th October 2009, 10:15 PM
Yeah my QFM pads had a little sheet on how to bed them in.

DRFTR86
6th October 2009, 10:38 PM
i always do this, even with cars at work (im a mechanic), how brakes should be bedded in

MINIHORSE
7th October 2009, 02:16 AM
the amount of people i see, that, when after a pretty hefty downhill belt they stop at the bottom and either 1. leave their handbrake on or 2. sit there with the foot brake on

NOT GOOD

MINIHORSE
7th October 2009, 02:17 AM
it i HAVE to stop i will pull up against a kerb and turn the wheels full lock so it will gently rest against the kerb

Rice86
7th October 2009, 08:07 AM
wow good feed back...

haha ive never noticed instructions on any brakes ive ever bought, might just be me

sounds like some fun, cant wait to give this a try

marvis
7th October 2009, 11:35 AM
it i HAVE to stop i will pull up against a kerb and turn the wheels full lock so it will gently rest against the kerb

Could leave in gear? :P

MINIHORSE
7th October 2009, 12:34 PM
Could leave in gear? :P

Most likely wont turn off car right after thrashing it

ae71
7th October 2009, 12:45 PM
down hill my car cools down, water temps usually drop blew that of normal driving. those cars with a internal drum hand brake can apply it without any rotor warpage, that was the original idea of it.

however the break in of the engine seems abnormal, i have not heard of any recommendation to put a motor under full load and rev it right out.. unless they are pre-run in before being installed into the car...

MINIHORSE
7th October 2009, 12:59 PM
down hill my car cools down, water temps usually drop blew that of normal driving. those cars with a internal drum hand brake can apply it without any rotor warpage, that was the original idea of it.

Your Not going hard enough!!! :)

however the break in of the engine seems abnormal, i have not heard of any recommendation to put a motor under full load and rev it right out.. unless they are pre-run in before being installed into the car...

Nissan Aus said with the 350Z not to rev over 3,500 RPM for the first 2000Kms

!!!!!!!!!!!!

redsprinter
7th October 2009, 02:15 PM
have been told to break the engine in by putting it underload from 1000rpm-4000rpm ...

and not have it at to much of a constant speed like hwy driving but more driving it up hills and what not.

ae71
7th October 2009, 04:05 PM
mini- i think it could be that the radiator is a bit too efficent for the motor....

varying speed and some load yes, but i would think that WOT and redline... plus putting the motor under even more load by holding the brakes on hard is not a good way to run in a motor.

trueno85
7th October 2009, 04:35 PM
does anyone know if ADM brake pads fit JDM calipers? GSL sponsor only has adm at the moment at he said that he's pretty sure but not 100%

sorry just realised wrong thread!

ae71
7th October 2009, 09:00 PM
yes they do

Driftspec
8th October 2009, 07:46 PM
Removed the double post :)

todd
8th October 2009, 07:55 PM
and just for the record, its break-in the brakes.

racsov
8th October 2009, 08:22 PM
bed in ;)

todd
8th October 2009, 08:30 PM
^^well yes, bed-in to be technically correct.
but you know what my intention was lol.