PDA

View Full Version : What is a dog box?

Tim.duncan
14th October 2009, 02:48 PM
hey guys

i have no desire to put one in my sprinter but i was just wondering what a dog box actually is? and im not talking about a kennel! i have always heard of people talking about them when on the topic of strong gear boxes.

is it simply a gear box with straight cut gears?
how do they work to be able to change up with out the clutch?

any and all info welcome

Breaka
14th October 2009, 02:55 PM
A little light to be shed on the subject also for my own interest.

how do they work to be able to change up with out the clutch?

And also, how does that differ from any synchronised gear box? Does it slip out of gear easier when the foot is planted heavily on the noise pedal?

ke55pig
14th October 2009, 03:22 PM
dog engagemnet gearbox theres dog cut and straight cut gearboxes all i know is that they take less power away and also alwos for easier changes with out clutch

Robo86
14th October 2009, 03:23 PM
Straight cut gears, not helical like a normal box also no synchros on 1-5.

strong as. plenty of info around

Robo86
14th October 2009, 04:32 PM
Yesss

maxhag
14th October 2009, 04:33 PM
It's where you send your wife/missus when she's is being a bitch.

Konakid
14th October 2009, 05:32 PM
google

Hen may possibly be a nut
15th October 2009, 03:11 AM
There are two different things people often confuse.

A gearbox has either straight cut or helical cuts gears.
It also has either synchromesh or dog engagement.

Generally, straight cut and dog engagement go together, but they describe different things.

Hen

Tim.duncan
15th October 2009, 07:25 AM
cheers hen

hell i could have just googled it but i thought if im asking the question some one else might want to know as well

so what is a dog engagment? how does it differ from a syncro?

ha ha loved the photo

greeneyes
15th October 2009, 07:47 AM
Open up a motorbike gearbox, they are dog engagement. Squarecut engagement gears that lock the main (power-transfer) gears.

Car gearboxes have male and female brass cones, and unsurprisingly one slides up against the other to make their speeds the same. Then a set of tiny teeth engage (the ones you hear and feel crunch) and finally the main gears engage.

Obviously dog gears are harder to shift (you drag on them until the castellations fit) and they suffer constant damage at the edges.

All that with helical-cut main gears for silent running.

daily_driven_death_sled
15th October 2009, 09:36 AM
like people said before a dog box (or dog engagement gears, u dont have to run a full set of dog gears) is a set of straight cut gears with no syncros, instead the gears themselves are able to be be made wider because thers no space being taken up by syncro's

you can change gear with a clutch or without but in order to shift your revvs have to be matched pretty well (as ther is no syncro's to help you). this is why people very rarely use the clutch because it would drop the revvs

hey ive looked into dogboxes a fair bit dose anybody know of a t50 dog engagement replacement set? ive looked everywhere, is it just because the t50 isnt worth dogging and may aswell be swapped out?

MJ86
16th October 2009, 11:32 PM
Open up a motorbike gearbox, they are dog engagement. Squarecut engagement gears that lock the main (power-transfer) gears.

correct and also motorcycle gearboxes were the birthplace of sequential shifting technology.