PDA

View Full Version : what engine should i go

shift_rook
14th January 2009, 09:39 PM
i have absolutely no idea, it's for my t-18, i only put the sr cause i've got a free one sitting at home, just needs a head reco... post away. io want this to be the mobs t-18, whatever comes o9ut of this poll i'm doin, gonna do this with some other things too,i'm so shit at decision making

addikt
14th January 2009, 09:43 PM
i voted 4age but yer either that or sr i reckon,depends how much u wana spend and how much u wana fuk around doing it?

ae86hachiroku
14th January 2009, 09:55 PM
I voted SR20 since you have one already. And I'm sure down the line you'd opt for something powerful like that anyway.

Jonny Rochester
14th January 2009, 11:38 PM
If it was my car I would go 2T-GE with a 3T crank and pistons.

You choices are:
1. work the 3T-C, use info from USA. Maybe nitrous.

2. Use the little lightweight 4A-GE. Make it handle with a AE86 inspired setup.

3. Use a 2T-G head. JDM TE71 Levin style. Rare in Australia.

4. Toyota motor. 3T-GTE and 1G-GTE have been done. Look on Toymods. Was a popular setup 5 years ago.

5. Nissan. I have seen a Rover V8 in one.

Trev084
14th January 2009, 11:43 PM
My mates T18 (T16) has a 2TGEU in it, I have mentioned to him many of times to put a 3T block back in it with the 2TGEU head setup on it.

sonsta
14th January 2009, 11:43 PM
4a, simple and toyota hehe

and potential for a decent amount of power later on

dr1ft-pig
14th January 2009, 11:47 PM
i voted 7ag, if you do it do it properly...there are lots of variations the right one will give you good CR etc

shift_rook
15th January 2009, 10:55 AM
the problem with the 2t head on block is that you have to fly vcut the pistons??? seems lke a lot of fucking around, i didn't really want to have to pull the whole motor down to do this

slydar
15th January 2009, 12:40 PM
you havent mentioned what your goals for the car are? or how much money you have to spend/are willing to spend.

4age is probably the easiest and possibly the cheapest. plus depending on who you do it, you can end up with rack and pinion steering fairly easily too. a 4age corolla is a great car to start learning to drift in, which im guessing is what youre in to.

hybrid motors are cool. but the 3tg seems kinda difficult. single cam 3t's are also a fairly well developed engine in the after market. so i dont know theres much of a point bothering with the 3tg unless thats just what you really want. seems like a hard choice to properly justify.

7ag.. well you would start with a 4ag first.

sr.. if you were really considering that choice.. you wouldnt have posted, youd just do it, as this is the type of attitude most people have, who do such conversions.

i would consider just a small upgrade cam for your 3t. and maybe a single dgav or even holley 2 barrel carb'. and some headers. maybe a freshen up. im buying a t18 next week and thats what i plan. something to be said for SOHC 4 cylinder engines. simple engines, not many parts.

Jonny Rochester
15th January 2009, 12:54 PM
Except a 3T-C is not SOHC, sorry. It's a pushrod hemi.

shift_rook
15th January 2009, 02:48 PM
i'm always chanign my mind it's bullshit, i was only goin the sr cause yeah i have one just sittin there, right now it looks like i'll just go 4age, though you'll all find out when i'm done and i make a members ride thread

Vance
15th January 2009, 03:01 PM
If it was my car I would go 2T-GE with a 3T crank and pistons.

4. Toyota motor. 3T-GTE and 1G-GTE have been done. Look on Toymods. Was a popular setup 5 years ago.

one of these

johl
15th January 2009, 03:09 PM
people that make these threads are either dreamers and will never do anything but call places for quotes and never follow through with anything or they are bored 14 year olds that have nothing better to do on their holidays.
neither of which i would wanna be.

do whatever you want. i mean really, who cares. if you got an sr just sitting there i'd say the choice is pretty easy.

good luck with it all anyway

slydar
15th January 2009, 03:35 PM
Except a 3T-C is not SOHC, sorry. It's a pushrod hemi.

haha wow.

i understand more now what you were talking about in the other thread re: dummy cam.

what happens to the push rods? just take them out? and then what of where they run through the block/up out of the deck? like does the 2tg head cover it still and you just have a huge void inside your motor?

push rod 4 cylinder engines are a bit odd, in a v8 it makes sense cos it makes the engine is much mroe compact but.. starts to make more sense why youd want to do the 2tg head swap now.

Jonny Rochester
15th January 2009, 05:28 PM
The 2T and 3T pushrod hemi is a neat engine in itself. Combustion chamber is very similar to the 2T-G twincam, sparkplug hole in the middle, except with smaller valves. The intake and exhaust valves are on either side of the head at oposing angles (similar to a twincam). To operate the valves there are 2 different length pushrods and rockers. It is similar to the Chrysler Hemi V8, both new and old, which was banned by NASCAR because they feared it would dominate. Note how with the Chrysler Hemi the spark plug hole is in the middle, unlike a Ford or GM V8.

The 3T block has provision for a camshaft, lifters and pushrods. Most of this is wasted with the 2T-G, but a short dummy cam is used to drive the oilpump, dizzy, fuel pump and drive the top chain. It makes for a heavy motor. This is partly why the 4A-GE is so much lighter, with a small block.

slydar
15th January 2009, 05:49 PM
yeah i kinda guessed at that as soon as you mentioned it. a mopar hemi copy.

most of the early toyota designs are copys of something not of japanese origin, but successful designs (or percieved to be) in their own right.

anyway, getting o.t.

julzy
15th January 2009, 07:12 PM
Firstly do you have the parts/skills/money to put in an sr, 4age or 7age?

You have a 3tc, put a 2tg head on it, 1.8, twincam, twin carb.
Semi legal, 70-90rwkw, good toruqe, easy and cheap.

Vezza
15th January 2009, 11:05 PM
I say 4ag... but I'm biased

egg_83
16th January 2009, 08:00 AM
sr20 because you have one sitting there

todd
16th January 2009, 08:10 AM
i voted the 2tg/3tc hybrid but hey, if i was you, and the option was there (seems you may not have even realised it was there) i would go 3tgte.

3TGE FTW and they look at home in a t18.

shift_rook
18th January 2009, 09:12 AM
mm, well thanks for ya opinions guys, no i'm not a dreamer, i've just bought a 4age engine package so should have it hopefully done and in my bay by the end of the month, cheers guys. i think i'll just leave this as a cruiser. i've still got dibs on my dads sr though so i'll slowly build it up and when the time comes i'll chuck it in maybe an 86??

worked
18th January 2009, 11:05 PM
2t-3t hybrid.
once any engine is in and making power you'll rock it, so i'm with jonny rochester, something era specific would be ideal, can still get decent power out of them, looks cool, has a bit of a history and style to it, not just another raspy 4ag drifter
thats me tho, and i'm over 4ags,

Beserker99
19th January 2009, 08:33 PM
3TGE FTW and they look at home in a t18.

It's 3t-gte, todd you toolbag :P

3t-gte's are gay in t-18's LOL

Just deck out the 3t-c. Either get a bigger carby on it and some extractors and it should do you well. Seems most of the USA kids do it fine, and its cheaper than an engine conversion :)