PDA

View Full Version : 4AGE bigport of DOOM!!!

JDM-086
12th February 2010, 09:47 PM
the car would run normal from cold to warm (about 20mins worth of driving depending on weather;heat) then it would start to miss or sounded more like a fuel surge at high revs(4k +), the more u throttle the worse it was......

any help would be greatly appreciated, even if its just a recommendation of a good mechanic in melbourne because everyone iv'e gone to hasn.t had the slightest of a clue about anything....

thanks in advance

JDM-086
15th February 2010, 08:16 AM
bump! anyone?

hachirusto
15th February 2010, 08:36 AM
First up have you checked the usual

spark plugs, leads , rotor , dizzy , fuel filter

being that it feels like its serging maybe get your air fuel ratio checked out, it might been running to lean and thats why at higher rpm the engine is straving and running like crap, or could be a faulted fuel pressure regulator that has caused the issues.

these are only starting points I can think of not 100%, as for mechanics, only ones I can think of that might know would be team trash garage , but they are on the other side of the city so might be a problem to get their.

hope that helps

Clinton
15th February 2010, 10:19 AM
Do you have water in your radiator?

xero
15th February 2010, 11:55 AM
quick question.

did it or previously after it was warm not start or had very very weak crank from the starter?
but once started run normal?

evil86
15th February 2010, 04:55 PM
id say fuel system. pump, lines, filter, wiring

JDM-086
15th February 2010, 05:47 PM
ive check the fuel filter seems fine. leads n plugs? not sure, from cold - warm it runs fine so unless they play up afterward somehow, not sure how though? rotor n dizzy, dont no really how to check or what to look for, possible oil leaking from the dizzy could cause this problem? i dont know if its technically surging but its the best way i could describe it, missing maybe? the more u throttle it just starts popping n farting and doesnt wanna gain speed, if u ease onto the throttle its not as severe...it cuts out a bit harder around corners if u go round fast enough.

radiator has water.could it be a thermostat issue?

uum not sure what u mean? i guess sometimes the crank was weak but for the most part starts fine, just needs a bit of juice to stay on because i removed the cold start. it idles like absolute crap if that counts for anything, especially once it gets to the stage that its playing up at. misses like crazy.

fuel system? at first i thought the same. but what could it be? most fuel issues would happen constantly no? instead of just occurring when the cars warm? i could be wrong.

ps. if this helps this problem began a while ago after my mate bogged down the car really hard, was going really slow in neutral, reved the car hard dropped to second but was going too slow for second gear and the car just bogged down like crazy then this crap started happening.....also the car only does this under load, it revs rather freely on idle...

44GTE
15th February 2010, 05:49 PM
It not the coil / igniter breaking down under load once it gets hot?

JDM-086
15th February 2010, 05:50 PM
could be? hard to tell/test? i need to get a spare igniter/coil and drive it for about 20mins+ before it starts happening

xero
16th February 2010, 09:37 AM
ok, your going to have to trust me on this, can you get another starter motor and try it with that.

let us know how that goes.

i had this issue before, it started once engine was hot then it was a massive cunt to start. let it cool down it woould crank and fire, or clutch it and it would start.
then it would do as you describe, fine until warm then it would pop and fart and then eventually die.
i checked all fuel systems (filter, pump, reg) also got a brand new coil and tested with another ignitor, also wrapped extractors in heat wrap to curb the problem. worked slightly better but not much..

finanlly got to the point of having to replace the starter (i killed it, but long story short) once starter replaced ive never had an issue since.
it seems there was a short in the starter but i dont know where..

H8CHIR6KU
16th February 2010, 04:06 PM
it wont be the starter. hes having trouble with it missing and farting under load, not hard to start when hot.

JDM-086
17th February 2010, 01:21 AM
yeah if anything it starts better wen its warm, the issue is gettn worse, now its happening sooner.

Stain
17th February 2010, 04:50 AM
Does sound like a poor fuel mixture. Should bridge the diag pins and check if the ecu is throwing any codes... might have a bad O2 or Temp sensor.
Could also try resetting the ECU so it runs at factory settings again and try that.

KE70GT
17th February 2010, 08:23 AM
sounds like it's your coil i know you can't use a 4kc coil with a 4age it just heats up to much and starts missing if your using a 4ac coil this might be the problem just try a proper 4ag coil

X Kyle X
17th February 2010, 05:26 PM
had same problem with my 4agze that i fixed yesterday....would drive fine until it got ho0t then would miss badly and surge...i put it in diagnostic mode and it threw error code 14 (ignition/coil) replaced teh coil and ignitor with a 2nd hand unit and it is running fine now, throwing no coeds....

maybe do a diagnosis check on it...they are easy to do...

lilmikemike
17th February 2010, 05:59 PM
it could be the pick up in the ignition system or the ignition module

JDM-086
17th February 2010, 06:36 PM
water temp sensor? any thoughts?

gonna try another ignitor+coil just sourcing 1

blake.
17th February 2010, 06:44 PM
didnt someone else have a simmilar problem and it turned out to be the TVIS system not opening as SEXY16 suggested?

but that would only help if yours is a bigport with TVIS still installed.

JDM-086
17th February 2010, 06:47 PM
its a bigport pretty sure TVIS is still installed..

went to have a look at the motor before and there seems to b a leak around injector for cyl. 2. hopefully that helps

H8CHIR6KU
17th February 2010, 07:12 PM
its a bigport pretty sure TVIS is still installed..

went to have a look at the motor before and there seems to b a leak around injector for cyl. 2. hopefully that helps

what sort of leak?

JDM-086
17th February 2010, 08:38 PM
i think oil? but that doesnt really make sense? shouldnt it be fuel if its around there?

skit
17th February 2010, 08:58 PM
i think oil? but that doesnt really make sense? shouldnt it be fuel if its around there?

Possibly weeping from a cam cover seal if it's oil. Check your breather tube to see if it's venting your crankcase pressure properly. You can force oil out the seals with a blocked breather. Or possibly the seal is just shagged.

Agree that you shouldn't bother worrying until you try a new coil. Check all the connections too.

Seriously doubt it could be a tvis issue. I've had the linkage break once & jam the butterflies 3/4 closed. The can ran fine (no missing, pops, etc) it was just a slug above 5500rpm.

JDM-086
17th February 2010, 09:01 PM
ill check the rocker cover seal n see if its leaking, but i doubt its that, its only around the injector and the plug on cyl 2 the rest are squeeky clean. i got a spare coil n ignitor so im going to try that and see what happens.

ozhummer
19th October 2011, 01:18 PM
I'm having this exact issue - I have a new distibutor, coil, igniter etc - JDM-086 Did you ever find the cause ???????