PDA

View Full Version : Need a 4agze enducation..

--Redwork--
18th February 2010, 11:21 AM
Looking to get a GZE for my daily...

Firstly from what I'm gathered there's 2 deiferent versions of this engine.
An AFM and a MAP senser type...
AFM is 145 and MAP is 165.?????

The engine I'm hopfully getting is a MAP type...
First off I'd like to know where you get the lager pulley for more boost from and how much can you get away with on the standard ECU..

Only looking to do basics as this is my drive car..
Front mount headers and zorst + more boost.. What can I expect.?

Apparently the stock intake mani is ASS.. can a normal mani be fitted or do you have to more heaps of stuff to make it work.??

Sorry for all the noob questions...
Searched, but didn't find much.. and I'm not prepared to wade threw pages and pages of members rides to find the info..

timbo
18th February 2010, 12:00 PM
well im pretty sure there is a bigport (early) and a smallport (later) ze. at least one of the ze motors if not both have a very small throttle. i guess you could swap it over for a NA 4a throttle body, i did read about someone doing a few mods on their ae101 and this was one of them.

also if you're doing a front mount make sure the piping is a simple as possible, so as little bends and length as possible.

google is good for info. the forum search is pretty good if you use specific keywords.

86TRD
18th February 2010, 12:23 PM
the motor you want is a ae101 4agze from an ae92.

i think you can get the pulleys off ebay , im going to be getting one once my car is up and running , just not to sure where from.

are you putting it into a rwd car? if so have a look in my rides thread and you will see there is few different things that you have to change.

Nikkojoe
18th February 2010, 12:40 PM
it goes a little something like this....

AW11 GZE
AE92 GZE Series 1
AE92 GZE Series 2
AE101 GZE

AW11-AE92 series one were bigport, afm (except ae92 were also twin coils and not dizzy). Bigports are 8:1 compression, no oil squirters with 7rib. That is the main reason why it makes lower power.

AE92 series two - AE101 were smallport, map and twin coil. Compression ratio was 8.9:1, with oil squirters in the 7rib block (external oil breather as per usual on smallports). The supercharger ran a smaller pulley to make slightly more boost (about 1-2psi at most with abv mod done).

Make it as stock as possible and the engine will work close to it's peak (not saying exhaust keeping it stock, but cooler size and small 2" pipework). I got a small 500x140x60 cooler (700 length with tanks) which has 2" outlets on it. Response is still there and works a treat. I will probably update my members ride thread with more info soon.

Nikkojoe
18th February 2010, 12:42 PM
the motor you want is a ae101 4agze from an ae92......

:omg:

Nar i think you mean either ae101 or ae92 map. AE101 have a knock sensor issue though, but you may get a good one...

slydar
18th February 2010, 01:02 PM
the best version is a late ae92 small port with map sensor. as stated above, the 101 version, whilst probably the best core motor has a lot more complicated engine management system and is a lot more tricky to get running right in a conversion.

the stock intake manifold is a bit shit, but changing it is not worth the effort, it is an intergrated part of the SC mounting.

if youre going to do such drastic changes you are better off just doing a simple turbo conversion.

WAcky
18th February 2010, 02:03 PM
Here's a kit someone I know just bought. They say performance is great but its only new so time will tell. Expensive yes, but made in the USA so quality should be there although it appears they're out of stock till next month.

http://www.nonstoptuning.com/pKitToyMR2GZ.htm

Nikkojoe
18th February 2010, 02:40 PM
Don't get solid pulleys, they flog out your keyways

86TRD
18th February 2010, 03:07 PM
i thought there were only 2 types of 4agze's ,

my motor is a ae92 ae101 , its a smallport and its cas and map sen.

Nikkojoe
18th February 2010, 03:32 PM
Quick way to tell the genrations (via dipstick)

AW11 have a dipstick like bigport 4age's, but yellow.
AE92 bigport have a thin wire one painted yellow.
AE92 map have a yellow plastic handle
AE101 have a a grey handle, which looks like a pull turn hand brake leaver :P

86TRD - Yours is an ae101. Some minor internal difference between ae101 ane ae92 series 2 (map), mainly with block which is why they require a different knock sensor.

--Redwork--
18th February 2010, 08:53 PM
GOT MY ENGINE.... Yaaaaaaaaaaaayyy.

Asked the fellow I got it from he said it was from a 101. But after seeing you last post Nikko I went and looked and it has a YELLOW dipstick..??

Any other ways to tell.??
And who can sort out the total mess of factory wiring harness for me... I really don't want to even bother trying atm... looks soo messy..
Either way.. I have an engine.. woo hoo... I know I'll be disapointed, but its only my daily so I think I'll manage :)

Oh and alternator... Whats the easiest way to ride myself of the factory boat ancor attached to the side of the block that hold the PS and AC. Will a normal 4ac alt bracket work.?

Cheers for the help guys.

lo_rolla
18th February 2010, 09:13 PM
i thought there were only 2 types of 4agze's ,

my motor is a ae92 ae101 , its a smallport and its cas and map sen.

I'm pretty sure it can't be both dude.
AE92 and AE101 are two different cars...

Nikkojoe
18th February 2010, 10:55 PM
GOT MY ENGINE.... Yaaaaaaaaaaaayyy.

Asked the fellow I got it from he said it was from a 101. But after seeing you last post Nikko I went and looked and it has a YELLOW dipstick..??

Any other ways to tell.??
And who can sort out the total mess of factory wiring harness for me... I really don't want to even bother trying atm... looks soo messy..
Either way.. I have an engine.. woo hoo... I know I'll be disapointed, but its only my daily so I think I'll manage :)

Oh and alternator... Whats the easiest way to ride myself of the factory boat ancor attached to the side of the block that hold the PS and AC. Will a normal 4ac alt bracket work.?

Cheers for the help guys.

Ok, to dig deeper:

TPS on both ae92 map and ae101 are round plugs (aw11/ae92 afm were square).
But the cold start injector on an ae101 is also a round plug. If its square, its probably ae92 or older. To make sure its a small port, it will have an external oil breather at the rear of head (drivers side).

For alternator, use an aw11 4agze alternator bracket. You will need to use a normal 4age alternator, but otherwise its a nice neat factory setup with it's own tensioner. I do have one and an alternator to suit if interested :)

--Redwork--
18th February 2010, 11:04 PM
Ok... External oil drain is there. cold start injector is a SQUARE plug. and has a Yellow plastic dip stick..

So its fairly safe to say its a AE92 model engine..??

Just spent like a good hour stripping stuff off it just so I could remove the wiring loom... God it was a headache... Such a mess... so many vacum lines and remote sensors..
Please tell me I don't need them all... Any where can I take my loom to get sorted.?
Extend the right bits and hack off whats not required... Does Anthony do this.?? Is he even still around.??

86TRD
18th February 2010, 11:30 PM
whats with the knock sensor issue?

out of them all whats pretty much the best one?

ive learn heaps now from this thread haha.

Tim.duncan
18th February 2010, 11:35 PM
ze are the best!! i was runing 12 psi with mine and it went pretty hard.

while the motor is out remove the standard throttal body and replace it with a 3s one, heaps of info on it just hit up google. I have not done this yet but its on the cards apparently its a really good mod as the standard one is only 45mm???

when installing make sure all you water fittings are done proper as they are all behind the sc and if any leaking you have to remove the sc again this = no fun

I like having everything running as per toyota intended so i would keep everything, sensors, valves the lot. with the loom im pretty sure it only needs to be extended, should not be to hard to work out.

if you need ideas on intercooler piping check out my build thread i have taken pics of all the pipes you will need.

DO IT!! makes the car so much fun. when it was raining i was loosing traction at the top end of second in a straight line around 80ks, on some roads. will kick the back out in the dry with with out dropping the clutch, just get her rolling plant your foot

Tim.duncan
18th February 2010, 11:39 PM
What i have heard is, when you chuck a bigger pully on the sc makes more noise and the knock sensor freaks out thinking somthing is wrong. Throws the ecu into limp mods, which loads up the fuel and cuts rpm to 5,500 rpm. i had this issue when first getting my car running, i simply wrapped my sensors thread in thread tape, never had a problem after that. But the sensor still works which is great!

86TRD
19th February 2010, 12:25 AM
oh ok , well im using a microtech with my motor , i wonder if they have a limp mode or not , im not changing the pully on mine , when i want more power ill just save up and convert to turbo.

Tim.duncan
19th February 2010, 12:40 AM
12-13 psi is awsome!! plus the boost its instant with the sc, love watching the needle on the gage nearly snap from hitting 13 psi so quickly

but your right turbo will see good gains fairly easily, i personly think some of the gains are due to running the rwd inlet manifold as the ze one was definalty a fri afternoon decision by Mr toyota

Nikkojoe
19th February 2010, 12:42 AM
What i have heard is, when you chuck a bigger pully on the sc makes more noise and the knock sensor freaks out thinking somthing is wrong. Throws the ecu into limp mods, which loads up the fuel and cuts rpm to 5,500 rpm. i had this issue when first getting my car running, i simply wrapped my sensors thread in thread tape, never had a problem after that. But the sensor still works which is great!

It's just that it's sensitive. The noise of the charger has nothing to do with the frequency that the engine runs at. The ae101 block changed (due to the 20v cast requirements) so they made another sensor to suit the block. This knock sensor happens to be very sensitive, and also retards timing on stock engines.

If running aftermarket management (which imo is kinda pointless on them, dont seem to really run as good as they can be) the knock sensor will not be used if the tuner knows how to tune...

Nikkojoe
19th February 2010, 12:45 AM
whats with the knock sensor issue?

out of them all whats pretty much the best one?

ive learn heaps now from this thread haha.

Out of all of them, ae92map are probably the best to get. The looms have less shit in them so you dont have to hack them as much, but saying that they are the shortest of the lot (ae101 looms are 1foot longer, aw11 are too long).