PDA

View Full Version : GL-5 based oils in W5X gearboxes?

NIZLAH
26th March 2010, 06:31 PM
Hey just looking for some information regarding the use of GL-5 based transmission oils in W5x gearboxes (specifically a W55 in this case)

I currently have a GL-5 based oil (Nulon smooth shift 75-90w) and was wondering if it is safe to use in these gearboxes (do they use any yellow metal internal components that could be affected by the sulfur in these types of oils?)

I ask the question as I was going to use the same oil in my new daily, but found that I must use a GL-4 based product...... until now I never even knew that GL-5 based oils could be damaging to the gearbox.

Also is Nulon G70 safe to use in this circumstance as well... ? Because on the back it says 'meets the requirements of SAE-API GL-5' ..........I'm not exactly sure what this implies....

All helpful help appreciated.

Cheers
Niz.........................................

marvis
26th March 2010, 06:50 PM
I used it in mine, copped a thrashing.. But only 22RE.

NIZLAH
26th March 2010, 07:04 PM
yeah don't think it would be an immediate effect.... more progressive over time as it corrodes the yellow metals

marvis
26th March 2010, 07:08 PM
Used it for 1.5 years or so?

Dropped the oil every second month or so.

Touge Boy
26th March 2010, 07:32 PM
I used Amsoil (GL-5 based) in my GZ20 soarer, copped a year of abuse from me, and at lest another year from the new owner. Oil was changed a couple of times in my possession and has been done another couple of times since. but car wasnt daily driven.

Car was making 180-odd rwkw's, with a fairly aggressive single plate clutch and lightened flywheel. No ill effects whatsoever.