PDA

View Full Version : banded steel wheels??

john84ie
10th May 2010, 10:10 PM
is there anyone in oz making wide steel wheels?seen a few american companys make them,would be good cheap rims in decent sizes

john84ie
10th May 2010, 10:13 PM
the likes of these,would be nice in black in 13 or 14 x 8 or 9"
http://www.bassettwheel.com/legends_mini.html

Konakid
10th May 2010, 10:17 PM
Can get a full set of 15x8+ quality, Japanese made good looking, good offset, light wheels for under 1500 bucks from japan.

If that is too much money for you to spend on your car, you have picked the wrong hobby.

john84ie
10th May 2010, 10:22 PM
i like the look of the steel wheels mate,look good in black!i know all about it matey,have a few sets of jap rims already!

john84ie
10th May 2010, 10:32 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/3/0/2/549702.jpg

blair
10th May 2010, 10:38 PM
Its like the next level of boganness!

Konakid
10th May 2010, 10:40 PM
they only look good because they are wide,

Spray your jap rims satin black!

marvis
11th May 2010, 11:11 AM
^I agree with the two above comments.

stx-16
12th May 2010, 09:25 AM
my girlfriend has a pair of 14x8 "banded steel wheels"
and she might want to sell them pm me if your keen

JinxD
13th May 2010, 04:43 PM
im with you dude banded steels are a good look.
im looking into getting some made for my MK1 golf project, that said i doubt you will get any help on here.
This site's mentality is only JDM yo, or you aren't cool
I will keep you in mind though when i get some more info ill let you know.
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/7096/eumeet9_2.jpg

jay70
13th May 2010, 06:30 PM
my girlfriend has a pair of 14x8 "banded steel wheels"
and she might want to sell them pm me if your keen
are they my old ones? they were pretty rad

MINIHORSE
13th May 2010, 08:06 PM
Performance Gain Nil
Aesthetc Gain Nil
Financial Gain Nil

Why?

Leave it to the yanks

stx-16
13th May 2010, 08:12 PM
yes they are lol

--Redwork--
13th May 2010, 08:54 PM
Steelies = heavy and not really that cheap by the time you get the outes,r then find some centers that will fit, and then fuck about taking the centers out of the shit sized bands they come in, and then welding them into the new bands whilst trying to make sure it runs perfectly true and doesn't pull when its welded...
Seems totally worth it..

jay70
13th May 2010, 10:15 PM
mine were $320 for a pair of 14x8s in any offset, would be fairly cheap if could weld them up yourself...

Gunner
13th May 2010, 10:23 PM
those bassett wheels are $90 per wheel

aussierider
13th May 2010, 10:30 PM
I looked into doing this about 8 months ago for a pair of track wheels , because they would be hard to bend etc and i thought they would be cheap.
I spoke to a place that did coustom wheels, i think in new castle, the name of the business escapes me now.
It worked out to be about 950.00 posted for a set of 15x8.5 -10
So it isn't really cheap, but I think they would look really cool.
Only thing that turned me off about them was the weight and brake clearance for 4pot hilux calipers.

john84ie
14th May 2010, 10:49 AM
i was on about the ones that are sold complete,there only $100 each so there pretty cheap and ya can get good sizes

Low Style
14th May 2010, 12:42 PM
I'm looing into steel wheels myself i dont give a shit about bandwagons JDM or USDM or anything i'm building my car for me if you dont like it suck a fuck.

Basicly the ones im looking at are $87 EACH US

a shit load cheaper than jap wheels ( one of the reasons)

Todd
14th May 2010, 04:18 PM
im growing old of the whole jdm thing, and then the people who call all of them jdm whores etc etc.
two way street, grow up please thank you.

in regards to the wheels, they are better than stockos, and better than those 14x6 +10 longchamps.
if people want nice wheels, then good on them; i have nothing but nice things to say.
but it's the idiots that bag out on either side that do nothing but make themselves look like massive twat heads.

regards,
fence sitter.
(full of contradictions, dig it)

JinxD
14th May 2010, 05:27 PM
I'm looing into steel wheels myself i dont give a shit about bandwagons JDM or USDM or anything i'm building my car for me if you dont like it suck a fuck.

got a link to the ones you are looking at ?

sun_moon
14th May 2010, 05:36 PM
im so over all the JDM hypebeastin' that goes on... everyone became way too JDM to the point they refuse products DESIGNED for australian roads, and use products from japan not designed with our conditions in mind... but they are from "jay land" (lol at that term), so they must be the best.

MANY (not all) JDMer's are no less of wankers than all those "kawaii sugoi western cosplayers" who do it wrong on oh so many levels.
i mean its come so far as a fettish all the shit that goes on.

i bet you if i had taken a fuckin Victoria numberplate back to japan with me, everyone would be like "omfg cool yes very american we like" and suddenly all the car guys in japan would be masturbatin over victorian numberplates. like a lot of people in australia do "oh he obtained a rare and exclusive japanese number plate sugoi deshou !!!"..

then again there is the photo thing, if many people here see some shit modification to a car parked in front of the MCG, they will be like, "ugh so dumb"... but if the same thing happens and the photo is of at Daikoku futo PA, then everyone will go fucking batshit crazy "omg see that guy at daikoku who drawn a penis on his door... thats so cool !! i MUST do it"

all these JDM style tuning websites are nothin but a bunch of fetish people wanking over shit, like all those WAPs going "omg yeah antic cafe is oh so sugoi desu"

anyway, in closing...
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs007.snc3/11453_781618083967_3602112_44820270_194449_n.jpg
(i taken this comic from a english magazine distributed in tokyo called "metropolis)

Todd
14th May 2010, 06:10 PM
im so over all the JDM hypebeastin' that goes on... everyone became way too JDM to the point they refuse products DESIGNED for australian roads, and use products from japan not designed with our conditions in mind... but they are from "jay land" (lol at that term), so they must be the best.

MANY (not all) JDMer's are no less of wankers than all those "kawaii sugoi western cosplayers" who do it wrong on oh so many levels.
i mean its come so far as a fettish all the shit that goes on.

i bet you if i had taken a fuckin Victoria numberplate back to japan with me, everyone would be like "omfg cool yes very american we like" and suddenly all the car guys in japan would be masturbatin over victorian numberplates. like a lot of people in australia do "oh he obtained a rare and exclusive japanese number plate sugoi deshou !!!"..

then again there is the photo thing, if many people here see some shit modification to a car parked in front of the MCG, they will be like, "ugh so dumb"... but if the same thing happens and the photo is of at Daikoku futo PA, then everyone will go fucking batshit crazy "omg see that guy at daikoku who drawn a penis on his door... thats so cool !! i MUST do it"

all these JDM style tuning websites are nothin but a bunch of fetish people wanking over shit, like all those WAPs going "omg yeah antic cafe is oh so sugoi desu"

anyway, in closing...
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs007.snc3/11453_781618083967_3602112_44820270_194449_n.jpg
(i taken this comic from a english magazine distributed in tokyo called "metropolis)
i am totally lost on what to say here.

perhaps....

just give up?

sun_moon
14th May 2010, 06:34 PM
sorry, thats not an intelligent answer

JinxD
14th May 2010, 06:37 PM
i like that cartoon hey :)

john84ie
14th May 2010, 06:43 PM

cool man,let me know how ya get on,maybe if we bought a few together we could get a deal

jeez this thread has turned ta shit!

Sprinter86
14th May 2010, 07:54 PM
Theres a few sets of 14x8 steel wheels around, 12 slotters being the common one, i find its a hell of a lot easier to redrill 5x114.3 to 4x114.3, rather than buying bands, paying to be fitted, balanced, painted ect.

if anyone needs steel wheels redrilled from 5x114 to 4x114 in vic i can arrange it as we have a jig and proper countersinks ect.

Low Style
17th May 2010, 04:22 PM
cool man,let me know how ya get on,maybe if we bought a few together we could get a deal

jeez this thread has turned ta shit!

yes yes it has.

an when im buying wheels i will be buying probably 8 to 10 wheels just for myself hahaha.

14 x 8 -17 for $85 us.. JDM wheels can go fuck themself. If im not JDM enough for you go to J-Land lol

shift_rook
17th May 2010, 04:34 PM
posting from the us is very expensive, try all the avenues of getting them in australia first

Water Boy
18th May 2010, 08:10 PM
I am a big fan of "phat steelies" I spose its bcuz I like Vortex looking VW's .

I wouldnt bother with banding hoops. Juts buy new hoops from ROH (like $65 each) coming in all sizes.

Places like Eastern wheel works and AJ's wheels if you bring them some centres they will weld on new hoops with your desired offset and width.

Hazzard
18th May 2010, 11:42 PM
well, i reckon id be keen for a group buy of these "steelies" as i think theyre kinda cool and give that sorta ratty effect. also they are cheap so ya can just smash em up, and it doesnt really matter.

Low Style
20th May 2010, 01:55 PM
I am a big fan of "phat steelies" I spose its bcuz I like Vortex looking VW's .

I wouldnt bother with banding hoops. Juts buy new hoops from ROH (like $65 each) coming in all sizes.

Places like Eastern wheel works and AJ's wheels if you bring them some centres they will weld on new hoops with your desired offset and width.

hhhmmm i have some stock sprinter wheels (14") should i or should i make them 14 x 9 - 22 ......

Dom86
20th May 2010, 02:40 PM
i'm building my car for me if you dont like it suck a fuck.

Tell me silver styer, how exactley does one suck a fuck?? :P

But I do agree with the statement.

I like the idea of 14x9 standard sprinter wheels. They looked great on that Need for Speed where you could customize the width/size of the wheel....:)

Sunraisers, or what ever, would definately be the cheapest option. There is a place in WA that does 15x10's for around $90 each new. I don't think they are made, or at least brought to Aus, in 9's though. 10's and 8's in decent sizes only, I think.

I would recommend trying your local second hand paper to get a real bargain.

redsprinter
20th May 2010, 04:33 PM
what would the weight of some 15x8 steelies be?

Gunner
20th May 2010, 08:07 PM
7.7kg

Just Half Steppin
21st May 2010, 06:03 PM
15*8 steelies...mine weigh 12kg each

reecegze
23rd May 2010, 06:52 PM
I would be interested in seeing some 12 slots 14x9 on a sprinter, considering buying some now. Jdm parts are over priced junk

floody
26th May 2010, 02:04 AM
Yeah $87 USD each plus circa $100 USD+ shipping each...suddenly cost the same or more than Superlite/Challengers....Just sayin'

benzo
26th May 2010, 06:47 PM
they only look good because they are wide,

Spray your jap rims satin black!

+13

I don't know how steelies ever found their way onto imports.

Just thought I'd add, it takes torque to spin wheels. This means the heavier the wheels the less wheel speed when drifting. Would be a very small difference but still something to consider. I remember a D1 team had actually worked out they wanted to use wheels under (lets say 7.6kg) because of the 'low torque' output of their rotary engine. That was a 400hp+ 13BT

im looking into getting some made for my MK1 golf project

And thats the difference. Acceptable!

floody
30th May 2010, 01:52 AM
I don't know how steelies ever found their way onto imports.

I blame Americans.