PDA

View Full Version : sacrificial anodes

Sam-Q
1st February 2009, 06:35 PM
Has anyone ever tried using a sacrificial anode in their cooling system? I dont like to rely on my anti-freeze and have thought of making provision for one of these suckers as part of my top cooling pipe

Simon-KE70
1st February 2009, 08:12 PM
if u run an alloy radiator then its generally recommended that you do, and its probably a good idea which i cant see doing any harm!

fantapants
1st February 2009, 08:14 PM
wtf is a sacrificial anode?? :)

Simon-KE70
1st February 2009, 08:18 PM
most hot water systems have them, basically the water corrodes the anode rather then the system itself.

filfilfil
1st February 2009, 08:43 PM
Its the "nobler" aluminium you are wanting to protect I assume so its magnesium or zinc needed in a sacrificial system....I have thought of a powered anode but I lost interest without knowing the impact on the rest of the system....or the properties of todays coolent. Chemistry to this level I thought I would leave in the hands of a $30 container!
Todays modern engines obviously have been designed with careful consideration to what metals come in contact with the coolant as they certainly dont seem to suffer like engines of old...or perhaps its just the regular service intervals keeping the integrity of the coolant chemistry?

if u run an alloy radiator then its generally recommended that you do
^Is this something designed in alloy rad's or the engine systems? If so is there something we can acquire off a "modern" engine?

Sam-Q
1st February 2009, 10:11 PM
now the other question; where do I get a lump of zinc or magnesium?

shift_rook
1st February 2009, 10:14 PM
boat stores you can get zinc i believe

filfilfil
1st February 2009, 11:58 PM
boat stores you can get zinc i believe
Scrap metal places will probably have a bar you can hack bits off for the rest of your cooling days cheaper....and they are great to find all those other "one day" bits ;)

Sam-Q
2nd February 2009, 12:45 AM
yeah good point guys, now I will look at what system I should use to hold one of these pieces into place

fantapants
2nd February 2009, 08:47 AM
so is this due to the electolytic corosion with the water and aluminium?

dustyae86
2nd February 2009, 11:15 AM
supposedly since you use rubber mounts on the radiator, this stops it by earthing it out, getting rid of the "electrical current"

ke70dave
2nd February 2009, 04:49 PM
hey sam

any particular reason why your concerned with sacrificial anodes with a radiator and you have had a aluminum head on your block the whole time?

i would have thought so long as you ground the radiator that should get rid of any coroding due to electrolysis?

i know electrolysis is a big problem in boats (my dad a marine electrician) and i believe this is caused by the fact that there is no real "ground". and also contributed by the fact that the boat is surrounded by an electrolyte.

i would have though so long as you give the rogue electrons a path back to the negative battery terminal (ie ground) then it should be ok?

enigma
2nd February 2009, 06:55 PM
boats are actually always grounded through the water which is why cathodic protection (the reactive method) works for them. a car on the other hand doesnt have a good earth. so you cant complete the circuit well enough to get it to work properly. if you had your car in storage you could connect an earth stake to it. then you could bury an annode in the ground and have a wire coming off it that connects to your car which would protect it for a while.

cuzzo
2nd February 2009, 07:01 PM
Tyres a rubber insulator. No earth there.

Have you voltage tested your rad and its water to see if its getting current?