PDA

View Full Version : Converting a86 carby ADM model to EFI bigport

sprinter666
22nd June 2010, 05:34 PM
need to know if i havto change fuel lines from the stock ADM 4ac ones to bigger ones? i have the JDM tank with fuel pump, and engine connection for the bigport so i still need the EFI fuel filter BUT so i need to upgrade all the fuel lines????

hao.
22nd June 2010, 05:35 PM
nah man. My old ADM 86 was running a small port 4AGE with the stock metal fuel lines.

the_van_can
22nd June 2010, 07:22 PM
nah man. My old ADM 86 was running a small port 4AGE with the stock metal fuel lines.

x2 - smallport in ke70 pano, no problems.

Sam-Q
23rd June 2010, 09:13 PM
even the turbo guys seem to have no issues

Matt
23rd June 2010, 10:04 PM
Done a heap of 20v conversions on fwd rollas and have never upgraded the lines...

As for efi filter, get a bracket made up and use a VT commodore one mounted near the tank or in the engine bay, costs you bugger all and is allot easier to change than the stock one.

sprinter666
24th June 2010, 03:40 AM
will the filter fit right on the stock fittings? or whats the go with that? at this stage all i need is fuel filter, wiring done (mate doing that), fuel lines matched to other ones and accelerator cable anyone know of a random one that fits perfect? or havto cutom it?

p.s. if ur easter subs of melb and can lend a hand plz contact me :P thanks for the tips guys :)

hao.
24th June 2010, 04:46 AM
You can use a KE70 accelerator cable.

I have no idea about how the stock JDM EFI fuel tank setups work. From memory, in my 86 there was only 1 fuel filter which was mounted in-line, in the engine bay before the fuel rail. I was running an ADM tank and all I had was an in-line Bosch 044 pump in the rear sucking out of the tank externally. It worked flawlessly for the 2and a half years I had the car.

Like this:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs108.snc4/35773_410699859268_814959268_4250131_4956331_n.jpg

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong or if I've missed something important.

sprinter666
24th June 2010, 05:29 AM
haha thats hao awesome pic yeh ill try that ke70 trick my mate has a ke lying around in his yard ^.^ so might borrow that see if it fits, worth a go, might be modding a 180 cable if thats close, yeh i got the internal pump is its roughtly guna be the same guna need to remount the filter and that, guna need someone to make sure its all hooked up correctly coz got no idea so many hoses atleast not as bad as takin the carby off fuck that!

how did u do ur intake or did u get jap intake and jap washer bottles etc??

KE70
25th June 2010, 05:10 PM
You might want to run a carby fuel filter before the inline fuel pump as the tanks are usually rusty and full of crap that will stuff your pump.

Sam-Q
25th June 2010, 06:03 PM
You might want to run a carby fuel filter before the inline fuel pump as the tanks are usually rusty and full of crap that will stuff your pump.

just curious what makes you say that, have you seen it

sprinter666
25th June 2010, 07:15 PM
carby 28 year old tank had no rust and will be flushing the new one, seems to be fine so im not worried, why run carby filter tho their plastic n wouldnt take the pressure??

shift_rook
25th June 2010, 07:58 PM
exactly don't listen to him, i'm not doing anything this weekend so if you need to call me for anything feel free, sick as a dog though so can't come round but happy to guide you through shit

Sam-Q
25th June 2010, 09:08 PM
the plastic carby type fuel filter will not be subjected to any meaningfull pressure if you but it before the pump like ke70 said

KENut
25th June 2010, 10:08 PM
I'd put a filter or even a strainer before the pump too. Heaps of junk has come out of the fuel tank in my car. Stock efi pumps have a stainer thingy, theres prolly a reason hey

Also Hao that is the best picture ever! ;)

KE70
28th June 2010, 10:18 AM
Well I did it to my car just to be safe and after a few hours of running the car you could see tiny bits of rust and dirt in the filter (clear type).

As KEnut has said the stock EFI pumps usually have that strainer so it should stop most of the junk.

ke70dave
28th June 2010, 10:32 AM
on the contrary i have no fuel filters in my car what so ever. ive had 2 filters sitting on my work bench for 18months, on the "list of things to do".

but of course im going to suggest for others to use fuel filters.

do as i say...not as i do.

its prolly a good idea to put a fuel filter between the lift pump and the high pressure pump, so if the lift pump explodes you dont fill your high pressure pump up with bits of fuel pump. (if your running 2 pumps that is)

sprinter666
29th June 2010, 02:57 AM
running one pump in-tank, got a metal filter that fits in the same old spot so all sorted cheers for all the help and advice guys appreciate it heaps :) 4age POWA :D