PDA

View Full Version : ke70 with bluebird lca's

chopsrolla
23rd June 2010, 11:17 PM
hey guys got a ke70 with bluebird lca's
standard steering setup atm but need longer rack ends because standard dont reach

was told some form of celica rack ends fit???
just need a definate answer to go out and find the right ones
:)
cheers

twisted
23rd June 2010, 11:56 PM
ra60 rack ends are what you want, or

ra40 tierod ends

have a look under and see what ball joints are more shaged. like if your rack ends you have now are really good find some tierod ends. but if the rackends are shaged then it would be a good opitunity to replace them :)

OR you can buy a lock spacer from somewhere like ajps or buddyparts that will correct this problem of shortness, bolt up, easier to source and give you more lock. the lock spacer should be first the thing anyone should buy for their car

i would go for the second option

Skylar
25th June 2010, 12:31 AM
For anyone anyone cares about suspension geometry, don't put a lock spacer on your car.

KePanelVan
25th June 2010, 01:14 PM
really... why?

ke70dave
25th June 2010, 01:37 PM
i would also like to know this.

im assumign it has someting to do with the angle of the steering arms, and has the potential to cause bump steering at the extremeties of the rack movement.

twisted
25th June 2010, 01:55 PM
For anyone anyone cares about suspension geometry, don't put a lock spacer on your car.

???????? a lock spacer has nothing to do with the geometry

Skylar
25th June 2010, 05:13 PM
I probably should have said steering geometry instead.

can't be bothered explaining it now but you know what bump steer is and what causes it? Well make your rack an inch longer and you've changed the relationship between the two arcs of motion. Whether it's a good thing or not I dunno. Haven't really looked at that but toyota probably made the car like that for a reason, probably for roll understeer.

twisted
25th June 2010, 05:35 PM
i cant see it doing fuk all myself

the 2 arcs are still going the same ratio to one anonther
you might be getting mixed up between cut n shut steering arms or rca's of somthing but allowing the rack to travel further woundnt stuff anything up.

Hen may possibly be a nut
25th June 2010, 10:56 PM
A lock spacer effectively makes your rack 1" longer. Therefore each tie rod (well rack end and tie rod) needs to be 1/2" shorter to keep toe-out the same. Now your LCA and tie rod are not the same length and you get toe-in/toe-out through suspension travel.

Is it good: no.
Is it worth staying up at night worrying about: no.

If building a race car you'd want to think about it though.

Sam-Q
25th June 2010, 11:02 PM
you know Hen this is the first time someone has mentioned this. I have been thinking about it over the last month and I plan on modding my rack ends instead of putting lock spacers in my ke70

twisted
25th June 2010, 11:56 PM
well i just learnt somthing :P

but wouldnt it only matter if your in the last 1/2'' travel either side of the rack?

what is bump steer exactly? i know what it is, but not what it is, if you get what i mean?????

Hen may possibly be a nut
26th June 2010, 12:18 AM
Try here (http://www.google.dk/search?hl=&q=what+is+bump+steer&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_daSE337SE337&ie=UTF-8)

I'm no expert. But I also think bump steer is often mixed up with the pulling you get on the steering wheel over bumps with negative offset wheels.

ke70dave
26th June 2010, 12:28 AM
i think thats a scrub radius problem your refering to there hen.

Sam-Q
26th June 2010, 09:26 AM
no the scrub radius is unchanged, this ones bump steer. Bump steer is steering movement independant of the steering rack through the suspension stroke.

Skylar
26th June 2010, 04:29 PM
Sam, it's not the first time it's been mentioned on this forum. I'm pretty sure I picked up from Dimitri a long time ago when he was talking about his machined rack ends.

Hen, no lmgtfy?

The car will already have some bump steer built into it so it naturally understeers when the body rolls. This is countered by stiffening the suspension to minimise travel and changing the TLLTD with springs and swaybars. Lock spacer changes bump steer characteristics but I don't know which way it affects it. I need to go look at the car and see what will happen.

Sam-Q
26th June 2010, 04:45 PM
that may be the case but I never saw it, I just worked it out myself. I had plenty of time to think all about it when I was working out how to do a RA22 rack and pinion conversion.

Toyotas would have some extra turn in bump steer for stability and it would of been what they would of assumed was best for a stock car with stock suspension with a fair bit of travel, this is there for a reason and I think it's best left alone. I am however very wary of added more bump steer to what I have even if I do have less of the original travel. By having an effectively longer rack you increase the amount of toe out under compression. How much difference a simple lock spacer would make is anyones guess, probably does next to nothing, hahaha

Skylar
26th June 2010, 05:05 PM
Yeah, probably does nothing with the tiny bit of travel I get at the front end on 8 kilo springs.

driftke70
26th June 2010, 07:10 PM
only thing i can really see happening is there is effectively more leverage on your steering arms making any resistance you would normally encounter less.

by the time you add in rcas to the equation, longer control arms and steering arms, greater offset rims, and 8kg springs, i think any difference would be fairly insignificant.