PDA

View Full Version : Coilover Rattle

sprint
11th August 2010, 03:52 PM
hi, just bought myself a jdm trueno and drove it back from sydney on sunday. i was told that the front suspention needed rebuilding.

the front right coilover is knocking alot when i go over bumps but thats all i can hear.

wondering if its worth rebuilding it or just getting new coils alltogether?

i would like to keep them as they are set pretty well and wouldnt need much adjusting as they are currently

AJPS
11th August 2010, 03:56 PM
camber top bearing - either nut loose, or bearing fucking

shock - gland nut loose, shock fucked..

sprint
11th August 2010, 04:29 PM
thanks. il have a bit of a play around then

Sam-Q
11th August 2010, 04:34 PM
I am guessing spherical camber top bearing myself, lift the car up and physically try and move the whole strut up and down, if there is any play it's the bearing

sprint
11th August 2010, 09:18 PM
thanks. il give that a go too.

takai
12th August 2010, 09:16 PM
I am guessing spherical camber top bearing myself, lift the car up and physically try and move the whole strut up and down, if there is any play it's the bearing

Can also be a gland nut that is loose. I had a similar issue with the coilovers on the Supra, there was some swarf down the bottom of the strut which compacted to make the gland nut loose.

Sam-Q
12th August 2010, 10:59 PM
yes thats a good point also

hachi_dk
12th August 2010, 11:28 PM
i have the exact same thing and its fkn annoying.
i dont know what it is but i will try what was said above.

Sam-Q
12th August 2010, 11:33 PM
this is the main reason why I think every camber top bar one on the market is rubbish. Noltec only for me

hachi_dk
12th August 2010, 11:42 PM
i got cuscos, if it is shitty c-tops, then thats damn annoying and i'll buy some newies.

Sam-Q
12th August 2010, 11:44 PM
now I havent proven it but I think any time you have a metal to metal contact you eill hsve some kind of knock because there is nothing to absorb the shock.

Cerby86
13th August 2010, 01:18 AM
there's two different types of noltecs though isn't there? I have spherical bearing ones and they knock, plus i hate with a passion the way you adjust the camber on them!! you have to get a wheel allignment everytime you work on the front end!!
Just as well i read this thread cos i figured i should buy cusco ones to get rid of the knock!

Sam-Q
13th August 2010, 01:25 AM
yes your right, I should of mentioned it, the race only ones are what you have, the ones I have but yet to install are the street/tack version with an integral polyurathe bushing in them

takai
13th August 2010, 09:48 AM
The spherical bearings that Cusco use are teflon lined on the inside of the outer race. Its not a metal on metal contact at all.
However, if they havnt been looked after properly (kept clean and lubed) then they can destroy the teflon. I havnt seen it happen though on any that have been kept clean etc.

Sam-Q
13th August 2010, 09:30 PM
ok not metal to metal but the teflon would still provide very little shock absortion, but I guess if there is not slop in it then it wouldn't make that distinctive knock

hachi_dk
13th August 2010, 11:14 PM
there's two different types of noltecs though isn't there? I have spherical bearing ones and they knock, plus i hate with a passion the way you adjust the camber on them!! you have to get a wheel allignment everytime you work on the front end!!
Just as well i read this thread cos i figured i should buy cusco ones to get rid of the knock!

i just tightened up the top nut on the struts that holds the ctops to the shocker and the knock is completely gone.
i dont know how it could have come loose (wasn't 'that' loose though)

cuscos ftw :D

p.s.
i only noticed the knock once i lowered the front end of the car.
not quite sure why that would result in the knock to become more noticable?

takai
13th August 2010, 11:23 PM
When you were winding down the adjustment on teh coilover it was probably spinning the topnut too.

I matchmark my strut top nuts to both the inner race of the bearing and the thread of the strut itself. Just do it with a sharpie or similar, enough to notice if it shifts but doesnt damage and isnt completely permanent (comes off with isopropyl alcohol)

hachi_dk
14th August 2010, 02:33 PM
yes thats probably what it was.
good idea too.

RobertoX
15th August 2010, 06:31 PM
I found recently that my stabilizer bar bushes were completely deteriorated (the 4 bushes on each side on the attachment from the stabi to the LCA)
I replaed them today and the knocking that was there previously disappeared, I thought it was my strut tops but they turned out to be fine.
the car also turns in a lot better now too :)

Anyway, another thing to add to the list that can be checked.