PDA

View Full Version : carby install 4age - using 4ac setup

redsprinter
12th February 2009, 11:47 AM
hi guys ,.

as the title states. i was wondering if this is possible ... to take out the 4ac and drop in the 4age and use all the 4ac wiring and its disturbor for a signal and all that stuff .. the way i see it is that the im just taking out a old carby motor and dropping in a newer cabry motor. ...

Jonny Rochester
12th February 2009, 12:34 PM
Mmmmmm. I have seen this done, or a weber at least. Scary stuff. Not nice.

Generally, the answer is no.

redsprinter
12th February 2009, 12:44 PM
thanks for the reply jonny, but can you please elborate...

sorry to confuse anybody but i meant to say is take the 4ac out and install a 4age with side draft carbs... and use the standard 4ac wiring, distributor and fuel system,

blair
12th February 2009, 12:59 PM
generally if you have to ask, i doubt you have the ability/skill level to do it?

will be a giant headfuck.

dr1ft-pig
12th February 2009, 01:19 PM
if you want to do it that way you can get the 4age dissy and the 4ac disy and kinda graft the 4ac dissy onto the 4age dissy shaft, that will sort you out ignition wise

or you can run locked timing and it will be just a little hard to start in the mornings

u buy a bosch module from i think a falcon?? unsure of car but the part number for this module was BIM 024 this allows you to run the 4age dissy un modified, to wire the module u go by the numbers on each of the 4 terminals coming from it

i cant remember the numbers as i did this a long time ago now

looking at the modulefront on the 2 terminals on the left go to the dissy (theres 3 wires on the dissy 1 is unused) and the 3rd one along goes to positive side of the coil (i think) and the last one gets earthed, the module itself is also self earthing so u will need to attach it to a god earthing surface

thats about all the info i can remember, the diagram for this was lost ages ago

but what you want to do is very do able and very easy if you can work out the module i mentioned above the rest is all just plug in and away you go.

also need to block up injector holes when using carbs, we used welsch plugs and just tapped them in,

also with the standard wiring being used, pull the oil pressure sender from the 4ac and instal on the 4age so the light will read correctly, or use A/M guage

p.s. blair... jason and i did the module in the ke70 your setup came from.... do u mind taking some close up pics of the module and telling me which numbers on the mudule go where, what i mentioned above is just from memory

hope i helped
cheers

redsprinter
12th February 2009, 03:33 PM
generally if you have to ask, i doubt you have the ability/skill level to do it?

will be a giant headfuck.

thanks for the input mate... did you really have to make a comment like that(make you sound like a cock imo) . no need to flame some one who asks, maybe for you a simple question with a simple answer. you might know how to do it .. so why not just share your wisdom instead of flaming me ... thanks dude ..

for everyone else thanks for the input. and yeah i was looking at my brother's standard virgin engine bay and thought logically ... if a 4ac came out of it and has all the elements to run a carby motor.. i asked my self the question why cant a 4ag carb be put in and maintain the factory setup.

Golberg
12th February 2009, 03:49 PM
Remember, it won't be legal to register either, unless you can prove that the emissions from the car are no greater with the carbies than what they are from a standard EFI system. That in itself would be a pain of a job, expensive and if not impossible.

blair
12th February 2009, 05:48 PM
wow i actually just reached for the camera to go take some photos to help you

ohwel.

/end keyboard warrior fight.

i didnt mean to come off like a cockhead before, will take some shots in a sec

blair
12th February 2009, 06:11 PM
blue off dizzy -> 7
white off dizzy -> 3
black and red -> relay then ?
earth -> earth

bosch module
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/4/9/6141.jpg

silver and gold to blue and white
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/4/9/6142.jpg

relay setup that other red and black go to
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/4/9/6143.jpg

and case (lol)
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/4/9/6144.jpg

entire setup
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/4/9/6145.jpg

hope this helps bud and goodluck

redsprinter
12th February 2009, 10:27 PM
thanks mate appreciate it ..

Jonny Rochester
12th February 2009, 11:07 PM
Oh, you mean sidedrafts. Sorry. Was thinking of something else.

Some sidedraft setups are nice and simple.

You won't need any extra wiring on top of what the 4A-C has, except the ignition that has been discussed.

markiitourerv
12th February 2009, 11:23 PM
would probably be cheaper/simpler overall to go efi.

You will already have to mess with the fuel system/pump to run better carbs, and
the wiring side of things is pretty simple for a 4age conversion.

Decent carbs and pumps aren't cheap.

Golberg
12th February 2009, 11:49 PM
would probably be cheaper/simpler overall to go efi.

You will already have to mess with the fuel system/pump to run better carbs, and
the wiring side of things is pretty simple for a 4age conversion.

Decent carbs and pumps aren't cheap.

He said it....

You'll more than likely get better performance with the EFI system too.

Not to mention running carbies will more than likely render your car no longer legal. Not that it seems to bother too many.

blair
13th February 2009, 07:34 PM
interested to hear why running carbs makes it illegal??

Golberg
13th February 2009, 07:54 PM
Because emissions are worse than with EFI... Well, that may be arguable but I think you'll stuggle to get emissions down to the same level as an EFI motor.

As a part of doing an engine conversion, at least in NSW it is mandatory that emissions amounts are level to that of the car which the engine came out of. And emissions is the one thing I've found that they have 0 tolerance for.

rthy
13th February 2009, 08:07 PM
the dizzy would be the biggest problem, altho a 2tg in a ke70 would be more legal

H8CHIR6KU
13th February 2009, 08:07 PM
the other thng you could do is run an electronic dizzy for your ignition.

my old 4ac in my 86 had an electronic dizzy with vacuum advance. not sure what it came out of, all i know is it was on the car when i got it.

if you could find a dizzy the same might make it hell of a lot easier.

will try and find a pic later for you

Sprinter86
13th February 2009, 08:28 PM
i think the majority of AE82 4ac come stock with electronic ignition, and i assume vac advance, a good upgrade for any AExx 4ac.

dr1ft-pig
14th February 2009, 07:18 PM
thanks for those pics blair saved :)