PDA

View Full Version : Running rich?

Ham86
3rd March 2011, 08:36 AM
gday. Ive been suspecting for a while now that my 4age is running rich. ive been told by a few mechanics so im pretty sure that the problem. the car backfires alot! and blow out lots! of carbon.

I was wondering the best way to solve this?

Should i take it down to my local dyno tune and get it tunned?

Clinton
3rd March 2011, 08:43 AM
What ecu do you have? Timing? Spark? Injectors?

Ham86
3rd March 2011, 11:08 PM
i didnt put it in but im pretty sure its the stock 4age ecu.

Clinton
4th March 2011, 10:13 AM
obviously doesn't have an oxygen sensor, get one wired up and see what happens

Nicko
4th March 2011, 11:32 AM
Moved to the TECH QUESTIONS forum.

timbo
4th March 2011, 02:10 PM
and what happens if it does have an oxy sensor? check your plugs, you will know if its running rich if they are fouled up. check heat rating and make sure they are the right type of plugs.

Casey-G
5th March 2011, 06:06 PM
Timing sounds out.

You'd notice a pig of a start up/stalling if the plugs were to cold, and you would also wouldn't really* get many/alot of backfires if it was the 02 sensor as it will only target rich at WOT.

Ham86
7th March 2011, 04:47 PM
it only happens pretty much every time i take my foot off the accelerator. It Pops after about 2 seconds

timbo
7th March 2011, 05:14 PM
check your dashpot on the throttle body and make sure it is working. this stops the throttle snapping shut and allows if to close smoothly.

Casey-G
7th March 2011, 07:05 PM
And check your base ignition timing with pins T1 & E1 bridged while your at it (timing light required)

Are you running bigger than OEM injectors?

Ham86
14th March 2011, 11:24 PM
plugs are spotless and dash pot is fine. dunno what injectors im running.

Casey-G
15th March 2011, 04:03 PM
What color are they? (injectors)

Are you certain the timing is right?

another thing i'd like to know is if its a map sensor or afm type load? is it a bigport or a smallport in other words (assuming its a 16V)

You really need to give us a bit more information if you want even the slightest bit of help.. its not exactly easy to diagnose a problem online with sfa info

Hen may possibly be a nut
17th March 2011, 02:15 AM
If you're running a stock ECU then pull error codes from it. They may point you in the right direction.

Also more investiagtion and information will help with diagnosis, both for you and anyone trying to help on the internet.

TODA AU
17th March 2011, 07:22 PM
it only happens pretty much every time i take my foot off the accelerator. It Pops after about 2 seconds
It could be a dodge O2 sensor, but it also sounds like the tps is out causing an issue with the overun fuel cut.
Check the voltage, adjust as required then re-do the ignition timing.