PDA

View Full Version : s13 s14 r32 r33 hub upgrade on ae71

grkrolla
4th April 2011, 07:44 PM
Hi all im new to this site.

And would like your help.

Ive got a Ae71 and want to put on a 5stud with bigger brakes on the front.
i would like to to now is it hard to do and is there thread on how to do it.
and is there a better brake upgrade to do.

thank you.

foamy
4th April 2011, 08:03 PM
Have a read of this: http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php/208-s13-front-coilovers-into-86-*e7*

Using Silvia gear apparently messes with the front end geometry, I guess it can be made to work..but the advantages are Silvia gear is cheaper, easier to find, and you get decent brakes.

ghettorolla
4th April 2011, 08:06 PM
i got full s13 gear in my 86 now ... when done right dude .. its magic ... feels amazing in the front end and the brake upgrade options are limitless ....

why do u wanna go 5 stud thou?

whouldn the standard 4 stud be better for 15 inch an lower wheels?

AJPS
4th April 2011, 09:18 PM
can do the rx7 upgrade on ae86 struts

grkrolla
4th April 2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks.

Im getting my car rdy for the track. And ive been told that if you have a 4 stud you cant do track work. And the weeks that i want to run. do you think you could fit 17x9 all round.

Is it eazy to put it all on. did you change the muster.

Delazy
4th April 2011, 10:50 PM
LOL...that is all!!

id love an explanation as to why only having 4 stud would prevent you from doing track work??

Jacobxxx
4th April 2011, 10:54 PM
why do you want 17x9's so bad?

grkrolla
4th April 2011, 11:06 PM
LOL...that is all!!

id love an explanation as to why only having 4 stud would prevent you from doing track work??

i dont really i just got told that. and i dont want to go though with everything then they do let me go on the track.

And destroy-her i dont really want to go that size wheel but the wheel i want only comes in that size.

Sam-Q
5th April 2011, 01:34 AM
your a confused man, many a car goes on the track with 4 studs, infact many rally cars are 4 studs, so this gives no problem in any way.

You need to decide if your building a show car or a track car because it sounds like your going to try and do both and very unsucessfully at that.

As for your question- crown hubs on thicker axles

grkrolla
5th April 2011, 08:24 AM
As for your question- crown hubs on thicker axles

I don't get what question I asked to get that back from you.

I don't want a show car at all. Yer I want my car to look nice that is all. So do 17x9 fit.

Sam-Q
5th April 2011, 09:13 AM
fitting Nissan stuff will compromise your geometery unless you convert the whole crossmember and do other mods. By using Crown hubs you can have your 5 stud and still have things where they are meant to be.

Sure you can run 17s, but keep in mind that it's at the compromise of it's ability on the racetrack.

Rice86
5th April 2011, 10:10 AM
what type of track work are you referring to? just random track days or like competition with rules, even saying that i dont think 5stud is a must on any track rule..
What type of engine and power are you hoping to have or already have on the car?
If your dead set on a 5stud Nissan brake setup, get R32 GTR brakes setup, lighter, stronger, and i think there is a setup selling for dirt cheap on nissansilvia right now, cheaper then 4pot s15 setup
but like i said, how much Hp are you expecting to run on the car..

Delazy
5th April 2011, 11:54 AM
build thread?

what wheels are you wishing to run exactly?

grkrolla
5th April 2011, 05:46 PM
I just want to get out there and have some fun not drifting well i mite but most likey just track i dont now what you would call it.

ok just a run down what my car has.
Its got a s14 sr20det with 210hp @ 8psi (getting new turbo in a couple of weeks getting a gt2871) so i dont know what power it will have then.
Sr20 gearbox
Standard diff with mini spool
Ae86 front shocks,hubs,brakes,
Swaybars,stratbraces front and rear

The wheels that i want to put on are rota grid drift in the black

And they only come in a 17x9 4 or 5 stud. i dont really want to go 5stud bcoz then ill have to change the rear to 5 aswell.
So 17 will fit will 9's.
And ill put up some pics of my car as well.

If i could call someone that has done a s13 or s14 front end on a ae71 so they could talk me though it that would be so great.

grkrolla
5th April 2011, 07:56 PM
what type of track work are you referring to? just random track days or like competition with rules, even saying that i dont think 5stud is a must on any track rule..
What type of engine and power are you hoping to have or already have on the car?
If your dead set on a 5stud Nissan brake setup, get R32 GTR brakes setup, lighter, stronger, and i think there is a setup selling for dirt cheap on nissansilvia right now, cheaper then 4pot s15 setup
but like i said, how much Hp are you expecting to run on the car..

Not any rule stuff to start off with. And can you put up the link for the r32 gtr set up plz.

ke70dave
5th April 2011, 08:17 PM
rota grids weight about 46kg each. no good for anything but looking cool, and i would argue they arent very good at that.

you may want to rethink your 17x9 decision on a corolla.

whats wrong with 17x7.5, they make that in 4x114.3.

not that i condone 17" anything on a corolla, but it solves your issue of the 5/4 studd, and they have alot more chance of fitting and being useful than 17x9.

http://www.rotaaustralia.com.au/rota-grid-17x75-4x1143-et45-white-set-of-4-wheels_p1047273.htm

edit: do you mean "rota grid" or "rota grid drift" wheels. i cant see any of the "rota grid drift" wheels in 17" at all on their site?

AJPS
5th April 2011, 08:25 PM
rota grids look cool?

grkrolla
5th April 2011, 08:45 PM
He is the link there about half way down the page.

http://www.option1garage.com.au/NewWheels.htm

What should be a good weight. Wont I have more then enough power anyway.
I'm new to all this stuff so I don't really no.

AJPS
5th April 2011, 09:10 PM
yuck! they dont even try to hide the fact they are direct copies

johl
5th April 2011, 09:27 PM
dont run 17's on a corolla for performance. bigger is not better. 14's will be fine, 15's if you need the clearance for bigger brakes, or 16's if you are getting dirt cheap tyres. the amount of work to put a 17 on and have it at a functional height is rediculous. well known people have tried and have ended up pulling the pin on it

Pidgey
5th April 2011, 09:32 PM
Take the easy way out and reshell into an S13/14/nissan.

grkrolla
5th April 2011, 10:16 PM
yuck! they dont even try to hide the fact they are direct copies

Copy's of what.

I'm thinking 16x8 will be alot better.

ghettorolla
5th April 2011, 10:18 PM
i rpled to you pm ... with the parts list.

grkrolla
5th April 2011, 10:18 PM
Take the easy way out and reshell into an S13/14/nissan.

Nope lol.

grkrolla
5th April 2011, 10:28 PM
i rpled to you pm ... with the parts list.

Yer thanks for that mate. But I don't want to cut and shut. I feel like it will brake or something. Did you do your own or did you get some one to do it for you.

Sprinter Freak
6th April 2011, 12:10 AM
fitting Nissan stuff will compromise your geometery unless you convert the whole crossmember and do other mods. By using Crown hubs you can have your 5 stud and still have things where they are meant to be.

Sure you can run 17s, but keep in mind that it's at the compromise of it's ability on the racetrack.

but how does it compromise your geometry? and is it really that bad or noticeable?

grkrolla
6th April 2011, 12:30 AM
And how dose it make the car feel if I get a -offset won't it make the wheel where it was b4.

Well I hope it dose not make the car to unstable bcoz I'm about to buy s14 hubs and gtr brakes and disks.

Sam-Q
6th April 2011, 02:28 AM
I need to come back to this thread but grkrolla I suggest you work your way through this thread:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php/23483-INDEX-OF-TECHNICAL-THREADS-Check-here-before-making-a-new-thread!

also have a look at the second link in regard to rear braces

slide86
6th April 2011, 02:34 AM
ok if you want to switch to 5 stud and retain the factory style setup/geometry. then.

use xt130 struts
use ae86/xt130 steering arms
use xt130/ae86/s13 lower control arms depending on track wanted
use MS65 hubs on strut (good luck finding these tho)
use F or G series diff........they come in varying widths, make the correct selection accordingly, also more suited for your engine

99% sure that you wont do this tho, you already have your heart set on the nissan stuff.......which is fine i guess but you will suffer several unforeseen complications. including the epic amounts of guard and front end work that will be required to get the beloved "cool" wheels to fit

Rice86
6th April 2011, 09:33 AM
i dont want to offend anyone's advice or suspension setup but all this geometry talk... but slamming your car as low as possible, isnt that the very first thing already that will fuck up your geometry, and yet we all claim the car handles way better and is straight away noticeable? obviously other modifications can account to this and fix the issue but just saying if your going to do it right, your going to need more then just adjustable coilovers..

S13 setup will have a different fell from the ideal standard but it doesn't mean it wont work at all

all sounds good but the best option would be to run Wilwood Brakes...like..cause they bloody work and have been proven A+++,

Sam-Q
6th April 2011, 09:39 AM
i dont want to offend anyone's advice or suspension setup but all this geometry talk... but slamming your car as low as possible, isnt that the very first thing already that will fuck up your geometry, and yet we all claim the car handles way better and is straight away noticeable? obviously other modifications can account to this and fix the issue but just saying if your going to do it right, your going to need more then just adjustable coilovers..

S13 setup will have a different fell from the ideal standard but it doesn't mean it wont work at all

all sounds good but the best option would be to run Wilwood Brakes...like..cause they bloody work and have been proven A+++,

As having the very simple macpherson designed suspension it's very easy to correct bad geometery with roll center adjusters. On a double wishbone front end it's a different story

Rice86
6th April 2011, 09:42 AM
^ oh right that i did not know lol

grkrolla
6th April 2011, 08:37 PM
I just going to give up and sell my car and buy a s14......

Delazy
7th April 2011, 11:15 AM
I just going to give up and sell my car and buy a s14......

Prolly a smart option in this case.... :)

Rice86
7th April 2011, 11:20 AM
LOL, i did that and got a s13, still no regrets, always have time in the future to build another corolla

grkrolla
12th April 2011, 09:40 PM
Just asking what dose a ae71 that has a very good body with no rust and great paint with sr20det sell for.

foamy
13th April 2011, 11:49 AM
Anywhere between $8-12k depending on condition, power output, general tidyness etc.

ae71
13th April 2011, 12:18 PM
Just asking what dose a ae71 that has a very good body with no rust and great paint with sr20det sell for.

i have a peice of string... i was wanting to know how long it is.

A:about twice the length from the centre to the end.

oh and ive been to the track before, they said 4 stud was not allowed, so i went home fitted 5 stud hub caps and it was all good..... but seriously if you think shit like that is true then maybe you need to take a break and think about it, reeeally think about it, then jump on google. btw if your making a car to race its best to have a look at what class of racing you want to do as you will have to build the car to suit. this will greatly effect your choice of engine, what can/cant be done to the body, suspension, brakes etc. even what car is best suited to the class.

edit: so many factors with the car value, but id say anywhere from about 3>8ish

Jacobxxx
13th April 2011, 12:50 PM
it could be worth that but it'll take you a long while to get that. $8000 for an ae71 is a bit much..

Rice86
13th April 2011, 04:54 PM
AE71 no rust good paint $2000 at most stock

SR20det engine and loom $2000 at most

headaches, labour, long nights, forum trolling hours for information on how to wire the bad boy up, priceless

$8000 is way expensive, must have the works on suspension and rear end diff to hold the SR20det power + i would want a 5stud conversion done correctly for $8000 too LOL, and a total solid unbreakable car...i mean a s13/180sx sr20det is already $8000...which one would you rather buy?

AJPS
13th April 2011, 05:25 PM
$2000 AE71 + $2000 SR20 does NOT = an SR corolla.

SR20det with a gearbox is pretty much impossible to find for $2000

It will need brakes, diff, etc etc at the very least.

foamy
13th April 2011, 10:16 PM
I would take the 8k KE70 over the Silvia. Your already at a 290kg + weight advantage (930kg for the KE70 vs 1230kg for the Silvia..give or take a few kg).

grkrolla
13th April 2011, 10:29 PM
It's got ae86 front brakes and ae86 struts all round and adjustable strut tops. Swaybars and strutbras's, corona diff with a mini spool built in 200sx in tank fuel pump. Microteck with handset oil, water, and boost gaugers. Custom intercooler set up and the car is very strait with no rust. And trx wheels with new tyes and the list go's on and on.

Sam-Q
13th April 2011, 10:34 PM
guys getting very off-topic

(better check that ke70 weight foamy)

foamy
13th April 2011, 11:15 PM
930kg is what's listed on my rego papers..(I figured it would be close to this, give or take 20kg? Havn't had a chance to take it to the local weighbridge). Going off the reliable interweb, most KE70's seem to be around this weight, depending on how much is stripped out of them.
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php/8915-AE71-Curb-Weight

Sam-Q
13th April 2011, 11:20 PM
let me give you a clue my rego papers say my 86 is 1250kg.

Skylar
14th April 2011, 10:43 PM
my rego papers list:
KE70 4MT as 880
AE71 5MT at 940
AE86 hatch 5MT at 960

all without aircon.

foamy
15th April 2011, 04:52 PM
Most people's rego papers seem to indicate under 1000kg. Maybe your looking at gross weight instead of curb weight?