PDA

View Full Version : Diagnosis Help Please - Not having any 4a love!!!

drft86
27th April 2011, 12:38 PM
Hi, Was hoping to get some ideas of what might be wrong with my car.

Its a 4agte, with external wastegate. It has a razorback ecu.
The turbo manifold manifold cracked and the car sat around for about a year. I then had a new manifold built and I put it back together.

The problem has started since then.

It has become very difficult to start, cranks over but jut won't kick over. After alot of patience and persistence it will eventually start.

The car can sit and idle for approximately 10mins fine until it appears to flood and stall.

If started again, (also very difficult) it can be driven around normal and will drive fine.

It can be driven hard and goes great, doesn't miss a beat, not a single problem. However, when coming to a stop it's as if it floods itself and will stall unless the rev's are held up.

I've tried adjusting the idle speed, emptying the fuel tank, at first i thought it was just bad fuel, had the injectors cleaned, tried lowering/raising air fuel ratio's in the computer. Nothing seems to make a difference.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Jason

slide86
27th April 2011, 01:14 PM
things you need to look at:

fuel pump

when you say its hard to start, do you mean, it cranks fast but coughs and splutters and tries to fire? Or, cranks and cranks but no signs of life and then finally fires up

drft86
27th April 2011, 01:24 PM
things you need to look at:

fuel pump

when you say its hard to start, do you mean, it cranks fast but coughs and splutters and tries to fire? Or, cranks and cranks but no signs of life and then finally fires up

Coughs and spluters. Tries so hard to start. I've checked it has 36psi of fuel pressure when ignition is on. Drops back to about 32psi directly after cranking. Still possibly the fuel pump??

slide86
27th April 2011, 01:57 PM
hmmm it should easily start with that pressure.

how is the throttle plate adjusted, if its shut all the way and no air is getting into the engine, it will cause this problem.

try turning the flat head screw on the throttle body ANTI CLOCKSWISE abit and see if it makes a difference.

drft86
27th April 2011, 02:09 PM
hmmm it should easily start with that pressure.

how is the throttle plate adjusted, if its shut all the way and no air is getting into the engine, it will cause this problem.

try turning the flat head screw on the throttle body ANTI CLOCKSWISE abit and see if it makes a difference.

Already done that too! It made no difference at all

Skylar
27th April 2011, 02:19 PM
I wanna say take it to a tuner and let him take a look at what the razorback is doing but I dunno why. :/

Check your coolant temp sensor and wiring to it.

motorculture
27th April 2011, 04:42 PM
do you still run the cold start injector thingy ? disconnect it if it still runs it .. and see what happens.

drft86
28th April 2011, 09:53 AM
Don't run a cold start injector. Will have to check the water temp sensor. Are there methods to accurately yet them?
Cheers guys

Skylar
28th April 2011, 02:27 PM
Accurately would be to pull the sensor out and stick it in hot water and measure the temperature of the water and the resistance of the sensor. Then compare this to what the manual says the sensor should show. If you wanna know it works, then measure the resistance before starting and after running for ~10 minutes. If it's dropped a lot then it's workin still.

Lookin at the razorback's hand controller won't hurt either, they show you engine temperature right?