PDA

View Full Version : ae71 light bulb type

v-tec
28th May 2006, 04:22 PM
hey, im just interested in some light bulbs that are being sold.
i am a total nube at lights etc, but i am told these lights are to suit a H4?

Anyone know if the ae71 lights are the same?

This is the lights

http://image-cache.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forum/uploads/post-601-1148787002.jpg

Also, just another question.. these lights come out as blue dont they? rated at 5000k they will be quite easily to see?

any info will be helpful
thanks

- Grant

bahnugget
28th May 2006, 05:42 PM
i have those exact lights in my celica, they're pretty good.. they're VERY white/light blue.. i love em.. they're suitably bright

Dxaqta
28th May 2006, 06:44 PM
thanks mate, do you know anything bout the H4 thing?
whats it bout? is there a way to check my lights to see if they are?

if anyone has any idea it would be useful as id like to find out tonight if they will fit my car http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

Course_Out
29th May 2006, 12:38 AM
I knew working in spares would come in handy! All headlight bulbs have a code that tells you what type they are and how many pins, etc they have. A h4 globe, as used in ae86's and ae71's, is a high/low beam bulb with three pins on the back.

v-tec
29th May 2006, 11:28 AM
ok thanks mate, i also rang up toyota this morning and apparently they both suit the same port.

Cheers all

riceburner
10th July 2008, 02:31 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Course_Out @ May 28 2006, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=228494)</div>
A h4 globe, as used in ae86's and ae71's,[/b]

just dredging up an old post here:

ae86 use h4's yes? :rolleyes:

Ksevn-T
10th July 2008, 02:41 PM
Are Ke70's the same? I'm tempted to put HID in.

ae71
10th July 2008, 04:35 PM
flat front ke70 use a seld beam don't they?

ke kid
10th July 2008, 10:40 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ae71 @ Jul 10 2008, 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=559584)</div>
flat front ke70 use a seld beam don't they?[/b]

whats a seld beam?

Driftspec
10th July 2008, 11:14 PM
AE86 are H4, yes. Unsure of any of the e7 varieties, but I am guessing that they should be the same.

If you are looking at using HIDs, be sure to check with your local roads authority to make sure that putting them in an older car is legal, and the requirements to do so.

johl
10th July 2008, 11:47 PM
flat front ke70's are a sealed beam. therefor you cannot replace the globe as there is none as such. you can buy new complete lights for like $28 each at bursons as i wanted some 5000k love but i am yet to find a semi sealed beam for my car

ke70dave
11th July 2008, 12:06 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ke kid @ Jul 10 2008, 09:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=559782)</div>
whats a seld beam?[/b]

sealed beam you can't change the bulb, the bulb is part of the lense/reflector

slanty ke70 uses H4

*most* flat front are sealed beam, but the sealed beam is a standard size, you can get H4 semi sealed beams from other cars (hilux etc, can buy brand new from hella) and put in whatever h4 bulb you like.

hids are freeking awesome, but i reckon they look terrible on *old style* cars like ours (ke70 ae71), they might look ok on ae86 though...

they are really suited to projector lenses as well unfortunately

Ksevn-T
11th July 2008, 01:36 AM
Julzy on this forums got a HID kit in his Ae71, The colour and beams that come out look tuff as. One problem is that you have to custom a cracket to fit the HID and you they look stupid next to yellowy lit parkers, so you have to put white LED's in to make them look any good. HID's are legal in VIC in these vintage cars, but what is!!!

kazman
11th July 2008, 02:13 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Course_Out @ May 28 2006, 11:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=228494)</div>
I knew working in spares would come in handy! All headlight bulbs have a code that tells you what type they are and how many pins, etc they have. A h4 globe, as used in ae86's and ae71's, is a high/low beam bulb with three pins on the back.[/b]

The most common types of headlight bulbs found on most vehicles are H1, H3, H4, H7, 9005 (HB3) and 9006 (HB4).

H1 has a long base with one prong. It is very distinguishable due to the small globe size on a long base (almost as small as a T10 wedge).
H3 has one prong and a wire sticking out of it. Shorter than the H1 but the globe head is the same size. Usually not used for main headlight beams. Rather it is used mainly for supplementary lighting and foglights.
H4 has three prongs. It has the largest globe size among H1, H3 and H7. It is a popular fitment due as it has two filaments directed at different angles that allow it to operate a low and high beam.
H7 has two prongs. Slightly larger globe head than the H1 and H3 but much smaller than the H4.
9006 and 9005 are those L shaped globes that you twist in and out of the headlights. They are used on later series vehicles that had water sealed headlights. They look exactly the same but the filament locations are different, slightly higher projection on 9006 which is why it is usually used as High Beam more than 9005. To avoid misfitting 9005 into 9006 and vise versa, the O-rings are different meaning the wrong globe won't fit into the wrong light assembly.

Apart from this most globes can be identified by the inscriptions on the base of the globe. A note of precaution, when removing globes it is best not to touch the quartz globe areas with your bare hands if you plan to use them later. They may shatter.

Also in some vehicles there are slight variations of these fitments eg H3C which is pretty much a H3 head with a H7 base. Globes are assembled from different components and sometimes different component configurations are used to restrict the aftermarket parts sales.
A picture of most common types of globes can be seen on the following link.
Common Headlight Globes (http://www.intakeone.com/images/Light_bulbs/NokyaActicWhite_chart.jpg)