PDA

View Full Version : ideal computer?4agte..

cotts13
16th March 2009, 10:20 AM
Looking at getting rid of the stock gze ecu and getting an aftermarket computer- running a 4agte full exhaust, front mount, boost controller, ligtened flywheel, t28 (bit laggy) current boost 10psi.
What computer have you guys run or should i look at getting, dont mind going 2nd hand as not looking at getting a full on crazy big $$ computer.

cheers
nick

--Redwork--
16th March 2009, 11:03 AM
Microtech Lt10.. with x4 and multicoils...

Think all up it will be $1200 for ECU, loom, X4 box, and 4 coils...

EMS, Haltech, wolf ect are all crap....

This isn't my bias either...
I have a freind who owns his owns performance tunning shop and he recommends Microtech. There simple cheap and effective... Anopther plus side is you can take your car to almost anyshop in australia and get it tunned...

Don't get a second hand Lt8 as microtech wil no longer reconfigure these... So unless you get one thats allready on a 4a with all the stuff you need, DON'T BUY IT..

Sorry... this doesn't really help your thriffy buying...

Give it a day and i'm sure someone will suggest something different...
Best bet is talk to GOOD tuners....

Easiest way to find said gone tuners... get on silvia forum or skylines australia and ask...

Please note... just casue there a big name shop DOESN'T mean there good...
I have been witness to 2 cars in the last week at my freinds shop that just came from 2 different well known shops. boths cars have had BIG dollars spent on them at these shops... eg over 20k and the owners were frustrated with the cars not running right and not gettin the results they were after....
Quick inspection of both cars revieled that there brand new awsome engines were infact. completely stuffed and needed rebuilding..

I have more storries but I'll save that for another time....

Spose you could always get a Motec... it'll do pretty much do anthing but your washing and house work...

JUST RESEARCH brotha...

wideslider
16th March 2009, 11:24 AM
EMS, Haltech, wolf ect are all crap....

This is just a crap, unsubstantiated statement, You think Performance workshops don't have any bias???

But like Redwork says, do your research, find other cars running similar setups and see what they are using.

I say Haltech but I am biased,,,

Jonny Rochester
16th March 2009, 12:51 PM
Any computer at all. They will all work fine. As long as the instructions are in your mother tongue.

It takes a long time to get familiar with everything in the computer system (unless you have installed and tuned lots of different cars).

So the system that works the best is the one you have already spent most time with. If you have no experience, get the system your friend or tuner already has used.

If someone says a certain ECU is crap, they are just showing their misunderstanding. (A very well known tuner told me one brand of ECU was rubbish, then admitted seconds later he had never even looked at one before. Idiot).

Nikkojoe
16th March 2009, 01:01 PM
The only one I would probably stay away from is haltech, not because its a shit ecu but it doesn't like the 4agze cas for some reason (signals get miss read/interference/noise).

johl
16th March 2009, 02:18 PM
microtech has fouled alot of plugs on my mates 20v. has now put in an adaptronic and has had great success. but again, that is because ant lives not too far away and adapt+4a's are his bread and butter

--Redwork--
16th March 2009, 04:57 PM
Wideslider is correct in saying that my quote was ill informed....

What i should have said EMS is crap.... haltech is ok... But you often have to change sensors when running them as for some reason they don't get a good signal... even from the sensors they supply.!
And Wolf.... well how knows anyone that runs a Wolf computer.?? I don't nor have ever
meet someone who does....

Johl....
When was is fouling plugs... just driving around or on start up.???
That seems odd if it happened from just driving around...

But like everyone here said... Depends one your tuners experiance with a certain product... I just use Microtech cause I can go nearly anywhere to get it tuned... plus they're probably one of the best value for money..

PS.. my prefered tuner is Justin. from competion tuning... Nice guy. solid tuner..

I won't name my shame list.... would take to long...

And as for workshops having a bias..
My friend makes like $15 dollars off selling a Microtech..
He can sell an EMS and make $600 profit but allways tells the customer to go with the microtech...
At the end of the day... If they sell it, more than likey they'll end up having to tune it.. and be responsible for the results..

johl
16th March 2009, 05:06 PM
i have heard many many bad things about competition. but i wont go into it here. yeh it would happen on start up. if it didnt start by like the second time his plugs would be farked

fantapants
16th March 2009, 05:18 PM
adap peoples.... soooo much support for the 4a platform, and sooo easy to work with.

have heard good things about haltech, though the ones i have been involved with take a bit of messing with to get sensors working well. Microtech i have heard work great for racing, but lack a lot of resolution for lite throttle response etc for daily.

Get the best comp u can at the time. Yes all comps will work in the right hands, but some excel in certain areas... ie adaps are well used on 4a's and easy to tune on the dyno, motec are great for all round resolution and control. Thats the difference between a working car and a good tune :)

slydar
16th March 2009, 05:20 PM
KZG will supply you an Adaptronic for a lot less than $1200 and it is very very easily a match for a microtech.

will work with all of your stock sensors.

is completely reconfigurable to any engine.

the firmware is constantly being updated. and the updates are free.

its proven to work on a f'ing shite load of 4ages. plus tons of other engines.

slydar
16th March 2009, 05:23 PM
plus, seeing as youre running turbo, it is possible to take advantage of the adaptive mode to some degreee too. i.e self tune.

--Redwork--
17th March 2009, 10:04 AM
Bad things about competition tuning.???

Every shop gets there fair share of ppl that aren't happy...
I've used Justin a few times.. so has quite a few ppl I know... Many of them with cars thats make over 400whp and no ones ever had a problem with him....

Having absolutly no experiance with Adaptronics. I can't coment on them..
But they do seem to be a perfect fit for a 4a from what I'm been hearing...

Johl.... just sounds like his cold start wasn't tuned properly...
Most shops don;t touch it. Just leave it how Microtech set it up...
Its usually not to bad... But you can never get a 1 size fits all withs cars...
Apparently the base maps are exactly the same when you buy a Microtech for 4 cyclinder... No difference in the Base tune from a 4a to a SR20...
Only learned that the other day... Bit sceptical about it though...

--Redwork--
17th March 2009, 10:05 AM
I just wired a Microtech onto my car...
Should be running as soon as my Dissy gets here...

Let you guys know how it all goes...

Konakid
17th March 2009, 10:44 AM
As long as the ECU has the features you want it ultimately comes down to the tuner.

koulouris#03
17th March 2009, 10:57 AM
im running an ems stinger on my 4agte... it seems to run pretty well, although i have not been to any track days or anything, but yeah... for as long as i have had it running on the road and been thrashing it, there have been no problems with the setup.
what actually make an ecu better??? lets try and leave the super technical info out, and keep it real time... what will define a good computer to the end user straight away at first drive???

Ae86sam
17th March 2009, 12:00 PM
I've got a 4agze with a t04b hanging off the side of it.. I'm Running an Adaptronic with 1zz coils and getting 220hp at the wheels on a moderate boost.. Super reliable and works like a treat, Never fouls plugs and runs perfectly..

Bang 4 Buck = the Adaptronic. Like Dimitri said, $1200 and its a great unit, Any tuner can tune them as their package is easy to use and alot like other ones to avoid confusion..

sundee
17th March 2009, 04:01 PM
As long as the ECU has the features you want it ultimately comes down to the tuner.

Exactly!!!

i bet all u guys saying that certain brand ECU's r crap house have never had any personal experience tuning them, i bet all your comments are just hear say. like the shit spoken around a camp fire after a few beer's

all ECU's have their own pro's and cons, and the outcome in the end all depends on how well your tuner knows the system at hand and how experienced he/she is.

ive seen haltech ecu run many cars with great success, each tuning session is going to have its share off issues that need to be overcome i just dont get why some of you guys persist on talking rubbish.

Cotts - just buy an ecu that has the functions you need that is in your budget, simple as that really. haltech, microtec, adapt, EMS, motec, MS, autronic, just do some research on the manufactures options available and read some.

Hen may possibly be a nut
17th March 2009, 09:50 PM
^^^^ Amen.

If the computer you choose does the things you want it to do, then it's up to the tuner.

What sets the top end (exspensive) stuff apart is the ability to do fancy stuff, like datalogging of extra sensors, closed loop cruise, VVTi control, cruise control etc... And frankly there are very few Sprinters that require that sort of thing.

Another good approach is to download the manuals and tuning programs (usually free) for each type of ECU and have a play with it yourself, you should get an idea of how easy they are to work with, and if not then you'll get some free education anyway.

Hen

slydar
17th March 2009, 10:01 PM
thing is. the adaptronic can do some of that "fancy" stuff too.

dual constant variable cam timing control? (beams) no problem.

haltech cant. micro cant. not that the same price point as the adap' anyway.

same deal as the closed loop functions. the adap is way advanced there too.

there is not really any reason to look past it. its cheap and good. it just comes in a bit of an ugly case, thats about the only way to fault it.

the only other reason youd consider something else, is if you were in RedWorks situation, where you have a long relationship with a shop/tuner, who prefers a different brand. that, or youre somewhere with not a lot of dyno tuning options, and theyre scared of something new(in the case that they hadnt touched adap' before, which is becoming much less of a common situation).

45aken
18th March 2009, 12:15 AM
slightly off topic,
but i got my microtech ltx8 2nd hand a while ago with a n/a 16v base map, it's now a 4agte 16v so it should be all sweet when the tuner gets it??
and i'll second that a shop makes very little on the sale of a microtech. Microtech basically told me "you make the money when you tune it". shame im not a tuner haha

MJ86
18th March 2009, 03:02 AM
I love my haltech, anyone who says they are shit is a tossle smoker, that being said i think it is up to the individual in the end as to what they buy, i think just about every computer discussed here would do most of what you would need on a 4age.

Sprinterboy
18th March 2009, 10:11 AM
I'm running an autronic SMC, easy to tune, easy to install, only down side, retail prices are a bit exy. Cheaper than motec, pricier than Haltech, but IMO, worth the $$$ after seeing a hi-po 4AGTE have nothing but trouble with an Haltech.

Best advice, Find a tuner and go with what they sujest, as they will be doing the work on it, they need to know what they're working with,

eg. no good having a Wolf 3D if the tuner isn't to crash hot with them but a wiz with motec's.

Anthony
18th March 2009, 05:31 PM
MJ86: does your haltech connect directly to your toyota CAS? reason I ask is I noticed they had to use a reluctor adapter box on beau yates car (E11V2/SXE10 3SGE), which I was a little suprised at.

crackett
18th March 2009, 07:11 PM
I have a GReddy E-Manage Ultimate brand new, still in box which you can have for $950 ;)

fixeruperer
19th March 2009, 12:18 AM
yeh haltech doesnt like cas, so dont use the cas. Its a great ecu.
that adaptor box from haltech is a wave converter its ment to make reclutor style cas's work with the haltech but it didnt work for me so i went with the halleffect magnet sensor and its perfect.

MJ86
19th March 2009, 11:17 AM
MJ86: does your haltech connect directly to your toyota CAS? reason I ask is I noticed they had to use a reluctor adapter box on beau yates car (E11V2/SXE10 3SGE), which I was a little suprised at.

No Anthony, i`m still using the distributor, seems to work alright for now, may change it later, and i`m running an old E6s.

Mirko
11th February 2014, 01:15 PM
The only one I would probably stay away from is haltech, not because its a shit ecu but it doesn't like the 4agze cas for some reason (signals get miss read/interference/noise).

Is this still the case joe with newer models?

Matt
11th February 2014, 02:29 PM
thread dig... but nah the sprint 500 is perfect with the cas now.

The only reason you'd go the 1000 is for the 32x32 fuel maps.

Mirko
11th February 2014, 02:30 PM
thread dig... but nah the sprint 500 is perfect with the cas now.

Yeah got ps1000 if it ever arrives

Skylar
11th February 2014, 10:33 PM
Didn't I post the answer to Nikkojoe's problem in this thread somewhere?

The e8/e11 is fine for 4a CAS as long as you wire them properly. That means split the three white signal 'ground'/return wires at the CAS and run two minus wires to the haltech harness as it says in the manual and you'll be fine. If you leave it as it is and used the single joined return wire (white) in the toyota loom and connected the trigger and home minus wires together you will get crosstalk across the two sensors and the ECU will get mixed messages and things get fun.

Matt, the 32x32 is max capability right? You can add, delete and move rows/columns as you wish, right?