PDA

View Full Version : How much did you spend on an engine upgrade?

li21
24th September 2006, 10:49 PM
Hi all

Dont know if this has been done before...

Im lookinging at going to a 4age from my 4ac.
Just want to get an idea how much people spend on their engine upgrades?

<EDIT: Cant work out how to put a POLL, can anyone help?>

flamingheads
25th September 2006, 09:08 PM
I feel a lock coming on...

Its been asked before. Try searching.

dori_86
25th September 2006, 09:10 PM
i think she's just wanting a poll to see how extreme some people have been, no need for it 2 b locked

kraggah
25th September 2006, 09:11 PM
if you are going to do everything properly then you would probably be replacing the following...

New Fluids
New Filters
New Timing belt, timing belt tensioner, and front main/cam pulley oil seals
Serpentine belts
New Water pump
New walbro 255lt or VL fuel pump
New quality Spark Plugs
New ignition / spark plug leads

then i would expect around $4000 - $4500 including a engine halfcut, but add another $2000 to the 'oh fuck' (to be on the safe side) fund incase something happends that you didnt plan.

mattysshop
26th September 2006, 12:16 PM
100kw smallport w/ blown head gasket- $200
rebuild/linished & balanced rods, rings/bearings, chemicle bath, debured internals, head full reco/straightened, decked 20thou, portwork, new guides/gaskets throughout, new timing belt, water pump etc - $1200ish (most of the work done by myself.. just machine work etc was sent out.
GZE back to GE wiring - $150
4 puck clutch rebuld - $180

quads - $200
manifold - $330 aud (converted est from $250 US)
misc items - oil/plugs/leads/dizzy cap etc etc $200

aprox $2460.. but that was stock ECU..

but essentially thats project revs.. reason being so cheap.. is i built it mostly myself.. and all parts are trade price or better..

and i didn't have to worry too much about wiring/fuel system.. carried over from the GZE conversion.. which is all stock jap AE86 in tank pump/lines etc..

Bensonius
26th September 2006, 12:29 PM
where are you??? If you are in brisbane..KAIZEN GARAGE drive in drive out 20v (silvertop) somewhere about 5000, with adaptronic

kraggah
26th September 2006, 03:57 PM
where are you??? If you are in brisbane..KAIZEN GARAGE drive in drive out 20v (silvertop) somewhere about 5000, with adaptronic[/b]

does that include changing fluids etc, filters, timing belt, and a general cleenup of the engine tho?
if so thats a bloody good price.

mattysshop
26th September 2006, 04:30 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=267939)

where are you??? If you are in brisbane..KAIZEN GARAGE drive in drive out 20v (silvertop) somewhere about 5000, with adaptronic[/b]

does that include changing fluids etc, filters, timing belt, and a general cleenup of the engine tho?
[/b]

if you cant do that yourself you shouldn't have a car with something like that in it..

timing belt - 30-45 mins..
fluids/filters - 10 mins..
degrease - 10 mins?

rthy
26th September 2006, 05:08 PM
my 4age in my ae86 cost me about 2700
could have saved 800 on the loom (went to toyospares for the loom job..)

AmyC
26th September 2006, 05:46 PM
So far to put my 4agze in my ke70 its cost me about $2900 about to jump to $3500.thats not including the seats , Gauges and shit like that.

EDIT:that includes the half cut and the ke70

lachy2k3
27th September 2006, 02:21 PM
switching from the mighty 4ac
my gze cost
1k for the engine(radiator, loom, wire, ecu)
extractors - 250
2.75 straight exhaust(cordia) - 70
fuel pump - 50
intercooler - 150

still need to custom cooler piping, buy custom bends for the exhaust and weld it together
and do all the wiring.. i think it should be finish by then.. way cheaper if u can do everything urself
or have friends that know how to do everything http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

li21
28th September 2006, 10:17 PM
switching from the mighty 4ac
my gze cost
1k for the engine(radiator, loom, wire, ecu)
extractors - 250
2.75 straight exhaust(cordia) - 70
fuel pump - 50
intercooler - 150

still need to custom cooler piping, buy custom bends for the exhaust and weld it together
and do all the wiring.. i think it should be finish by then.. way cheaper if u can do everything urself
or have friends that know how to do everything http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif[/b]

I dont think i'd be able to DIY or know anyone that could help
If one could get all these parts, how much would labour be ?

Gilly
29th September 2006, 12:12 AM
so far $1420

that's bought me a

JDM engine and an ecu
near new 4 puck clutch
HKS filter and intake pipe setup
Kaizen extractors
R33 cat convertor

already got from past conversions

fuel pump
fuel hose
oils
coolant
clamps etc

still a way to go yet, mostly just need to finalise my loom arrangements. i do have some other performance orientated parts i have bought but aren't essential to the conversion so i've left them out.

there will never be a definative figure as to how much a conversion will cost, ther is just too many variables, initial engine cost, labour charges differ things like that. i try to buy all the parts i need here on this forum or others as you can pick up some nice deals if you keep an eye out. for example i didn't jump on the net for one day and i missed Evan selling his complete smallport 16 with loom, fuel pump, ecu, all rwd cooling setup for $900 which was an absoulte bargain especially considering the wiring was done. needless to say i never miss a day now!!

my advice would be to budget by using full retail prices of items you'll need such as fuel pumps and hosing, exhausts, cat convertors, clutches etc even things as small as airfilters. you can pick all these items off these forums or others 2nd hand in good nick. but seeing you budgeted for full price items you have actually saved yorself some money along the way. better to over budget than find yourself short (me at the moment as i bought a pair of wheels as an impulse buy!!)

definately do your research, i'd post a thread in your local area section on here asking the other guy's in your area where they get there engines etc from, also where they get there work done if they don't do it them selves, things like that. that way you know from a good source what you need and what you should be paying for it. latch onto a good source of information then pick their brains whenever you have a query, thats what i've done (hey Dimitri!!)

heavy emphasis on budget, find out what you are going to need to spend first and what you actually need, just because that twin plate clutch is cheap for what it is doesn't mean you need to buy it! especially when a brand new decent single plate is a few hundred dollars cheaper, or that complete fuel system with lift pump and surge tank feeding 2 vl pumps, a decent in tank pump with a modded tank pickup will work fine and cost you half as much. i've seen guy's just hand over cash because it's cheap for what it is when in reality they just don't need it!

give yourself a buffer in your budget too, i allow $500 for the unexpected stuff, if you are thorough you won't need it but better to be safe.

good luck!

FLT LNR
29th September 2006, 12:33 AM
good replies. good, patient hachi love is what its all about.

btw, regarding labour...... if u find out some people on here live nearby to you, beers speak louder than words http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

jono86
29th September 2006, 08:19 PM
my bros corolla cost him round 6g's....
4agte
ported head, high flow t28, hks manifold, rebuild JHH spec engine, microtech, custom intercooler.... helps that my uncle owns JHH tho...
yea the best thing is to have mates who know thier shit and can give you a hand.

KAWAII_hachi_roku
29th September 2006, 08:32 PM
if i bought a twin carb 4ag engine and i had somebody to do the conversion for me (family friend who is very experienced) what extras do i need to buy and what is an estimat of total costs ?? sorry to hijack the thread http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sad.gif

japlish
30th September 2006, 01:18 AM
Hot engine allready had around 6000 spent apparently, cost me 2200
-300 for the side drafts I sold from it.
T3 quad adapter silver 20v quads, lavender trumpets around 800
apex extractors 450 including shipping and duty from japan.
2.5 exhaust 170.
Microtech lt10 custom with dash screen about 1500. 1000 + for fitting did a few other things for me as well.
gen 3 coils 100.
walbro on special at option 1 100, surge tank 150, lift pump 40.
Probably a couple hundred of other things as well.

So about 6500 plus so prob 7000

pumpkinking
30th September 2006, 01:35 AM
drunken beer fights=$30.00
Taxi=$25.00
Being stupid and posting on DC= Lame!!!

johnny_08
30th September 2006, 02:06 AM
how much would a drive in drive out 20v convert be?

FLT LNR
30th September 2006, 05:08 AM

rthy
30th September 2006, 11:15 PM
melb drive in and outs around 3.5 > 7k
donno about the 3.5 tho..

johnny_08
1st October 2006, 01:14 PM
lol hummmm maybe i shoulda read that bit http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif how bout in syd?

kraggah
1st October 2006, 07:02 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=268011)

[/b]

if you cant do that yourself you shouldn't have a car with something like that in it..

degrease - 10 mins?
[/b]

check my previous posts (yes the few) and it shows im not a newb at this stuff, however $5000 just to bolt an engine together, make it turn over and wire it isnt exacly that great value. i guess what im saying, it would be completely stupid if the necessities of the engine are not replaced whilst the engine is out of the car. i mean realistically, the difficulty of changing a water pump and timing belt for example is alot easier, and aviods alot of stuffing around if the engine is out of its home.

Billzilla
2nd October 2006, 12:03 AM
On the new engine I'm building, the head is up to over $3,000 all by itself, and it's far from finished ....

devolutio
2nd October 2006, 12:16 AM
$!200 for jdm rwd 4age... just whapped it in... can't remember the rest. oh maybe $50 for fuel pump and an odd $150 for stuff i can't remember. i did wiring and all sorts of dodgy stuff myself. my advice... pay the 'takumi tax' asking price for an ae86 with 4age. worth it for the non mechanically minded.

mattysshop
2nd October 2006, 08:18 AM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=268025)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr_3K @ Sep 26 2006, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=267939)<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

degrease - 10 mins?
[/b][/quote]

check my previous posts (yes the few) and it shows im not a newb at this stuff, however $5000 just to bolt an engine together, make it turn over and wire it isnt exacly that great value. i guess what im saying, it would be completely stupid if the necessities of the engine are not replaced whilst the engine is out of the car. i mean realistically, the difficulty of changing a water pump and timing belt for example is alot easier, and aviods alot of stuffing around if the engine is out of its home.
[/b][/quote]

doing timing belt in a 86 is just as easy as out of the car.. plenty of room.. if it were fwd i would have agreed with you.. to be honest 5k drive in drive out for a 20v with aftermarket ecu sounds damm good to me.. 5k is cheap as anything.. especially someone else doing the work for you.. try finding a workshop to do that price.. with an aftermarket ecu fitted and tuned.. with a 20v..

on a slightly different topic, aimed at some of the other members.. my dog could borrow 5k off a bank or something.. the repayments on something like that would be about $80 per f/t for those people who can't fork out straight up.. having a small loan is actually a good thing.. take it out for a slightly longer term than what you aim to have it paid off in.. eg.. i want to have it paid off in 1-2 years, take it out for 4 years.. have nice and low monthly payments.. and pay extra to pay it off sooner, in your 1-2 year est.. not only will you be showing a good pymt history/credit rating etc, if something does go wrong.. it is a low monthly payment till you can afford to get back up again..