PDA

View Full Version : Toyospares 4age package? What would you do?

parkerlewis
2nd December 2006, 08:33 PM
Ok here the situation.

I've got an ADM sprinter, engine is f***d (4ac), so it's a great time to go 16V.

Decided to get Toyospares to sort me out with a small port 4age.

Before I get things rolling this week, I want some last bits of advice from those who've done it, or
know enough about the different options/what's involved to offer rock solid advice.

I am capable of doing nearly anything, labour wise, but need my car going ASAP, because I need
to get to work every day, etc etc.....basically I'm going nuts not having a car.
I know that if I do everything myself certain problems will arise that will stretch the timeframe
out too long, but toyospares may not be ultra quick getting the work done either, so it
could work either way.

My question is basically; where should I look to save money? I know money can be
saved by sourcing certain parts myself, such as ecu/loom. I've got a new clutch already.
They are asking 3650 drive in/out plus exhaust is extra. Wish I had the time to save a
packet by doing everything myself (being hanging to work on my own car for once,
instead of my mates cars!), but really I'd just like to get on the road with a red top
soon, and cut the cost back a bit.

Thanks in advance, and I've def made my mind up about the 16v small port, so no 'why not 20v?' type
comments! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

rthy
2nd December 2006, 08:52 PM
my 16v conversion cost me close to 3k (4age 16v to rwd)
would have saved $800 if i finished the loom my self... dam fuel filter...

parkerlewis
2nd December 2006, 08:56 PM
what do you mean by 'damn fuel filter', rthy?

rthy
2nd December 2006, 09:05 PM
i modded a fwd loom to rwd but wouldnt rev past 2000...
after getting toyospares to mod another fwd i loom i found out the fuel filter was backwards.... http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sad.gif

HYPNTK
2nd December 2006, 09:53 PM
i modded a fwd loom to rwd but wouldnt rev past 2000...
after getting toyospares to mod another fwd i loom i found out the fuel filter was backwards.... http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/sad.gif[/b]

ahahahhahhaha...sorry man for laughing at ya but thats funny coz it reminds me of something i would do and lose money on! now that i read this i will definetely check my fuel filter arrangement when i install my new engine...classic.

ps, g/l with your engine intallation parkerlewis

ke70dave
2nd December 2006, 11:33 PM
i have not done this conversion myself, but am gonna do a ke70/4age conversion soon, but from what i gather, you will save heaps from sourcing the parts yourself through formus/wreckers etc, but it will be a pain in the butt, so getting all the parts from this toyspares might be a good idea if you have the money and like you said, you need it quick.

only thing i can sudgest is to try and get as much stuff as you can from forums, like people that crash sx corollas, then maybe get a mechanic to put it in for you? rather than him sourcing the parts from ripp off wreckers...

TRD_86
2nd December 2006, 11:45 PM
buy a $500 bomb for a month or two, and do it all urself, u will save shitloads!

then u can have a huge bonfire with the car http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/laugh.gif to celebrate the sprinters open heat surgery success!!! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tup.gif

yoshimitsu9
3rd December 2006, 12:28 AM
might be a long shot in the time (almost christmas time) it will take to get done but try rev zone in nunawading (98789299) i got them to wire my 4age. excellent service, my loom and ecu didnt match... and they called me over every little detail. talk to justin and say stefan with the red sprinter recommended them to u (they might look after u, i dont know)

parrot
3rd December 2006, 09:57 AM
If you have lots of spare time and don't need the car on the road for at least a month, do it yourself AFTER you source all the parts you need.

Otherwise, paying them to do it is reasonable.

Toyospares are generally pretty good to deal with, at least when buying stuff. Have bought abit there over the years. Haven't had any work done there though. Though I would tend to be sure everything was right BEFORE handing over the full amount of money.

ke70dave
3rd December 2006, 11:55 AM
another option is....get another 4ac and stick that it,im sure someone one here has a freeby lying around, ptu the 4ac in, so you can drive to work etc, then start sourcing 4age parts, one of those parts being a 500$ run around car, then when you got all the parts do it all yourself! then sell run around car....

just a thought http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/2thumbs.gif

parrot
3rd December 2006, 01:43 PM
To clarify above, I am not suggesting it will take a month, just that you need to be prapared to possibly have your car off the road that long. It may take longer or it can be done in a weekend if you know what you are doing (i.e. done it before) Modifying looms is compicated, especially the under dash stuff and charging circuit if you are not real confident. Melding the engine loom into these takes some time and good wiring diagrams.

Once you have done it and it works, it all seems easy in retrospect....

But it probably won't run first time is what I am trying to say.

[MET]
3rd December 2006, 02:11 PM
for the money and hassles just drop it off at Toyospares and pick it up a week later done and done properly. Everytime I hear of someone taking a sprinter off the road to fit an engine it always drags out to be months and months.

Best option? sell you car for $2000-$2500 and go buy a one already done with more mods for $6000-$7000

slydar
3rd December 2006, 03:47 PM
is that drive in drive out all inclusive? not a bad price really. specially seeings as its small port.. theyre hard to get sometimes.

to give you an idea we do about the same on a big port.. but we do your exhaust too.

parkerlewis
3rd December 2006, 11:49 PM
yeah drive in/out, slydar. Seems alright I thought. Got a cat-back already which will help too.

selling car not an option. the build up is half the reason I'm into impractical cars! Like I said the drive in/out option isn't what I want, but rather what I need.

THe $500 runabout idea seems a bit silly too. Where am I going to find a rwc car for 500? I'll end up working on that one more than the hachi! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/emoticons/tongue.gif

StockAE86
4th December 2006, 01:11 PM
I would recommend toyospares. I doubt they would take that long. These guys do 4age/4agze conversions all the time and heaps of people go to them for the wiring.
Everything will be done exactly right the first time too with some sort of guarantee too.

jezz
4th December 2006, 01:46 PM
Mic do you know if that coupe still forsale (white *e7*, with 3sgte)?

StockAE86
4th December 2006, 04:01 PM
Don't know.. I assume I would've heard of it if it did get sold ... So I'd assume it hasn't been sold yet. *shrugs*

Granto
4th December 2006, 04:16 PM
ohh i love that car.

it's like an ae71 but not ugly.

*ducks and hides from the hordes of ae71 fans*

lachy2k3
4th December 2006, 04:31 PM
work heaps no time so car is goin to toyospares
scared of buying a cheap car.. breaks down.. more money to fix

so my 86 is goin in there on wednesday
the engine is already in and wires are complete
they are goin to
-wiring up my 4agze
-install cooler and do piping
-replace with 8mm fuel lines
-install fuel pumps/surge
-custom a cordia straight pipe exhaust on to the trd copy extractors

i think thats all of it
and i got quoted $2000 which im happy to pay
but i know there will be some sort of "problem" so there will be extra
cash on top of that.. hopefully not tho

parkerlewis
6th December 2006, 10:59 AM
just found out that the deal is only for a blue top/86kw! toyospares said with headers/pod filter you can't feel the difference but this goes against everything I've heard on club4ag and on here, by respected members. Getting a bit 'iffy' about the drive in/out deal....

[MET]
6th December 2006, 02:42 PM
isnt it only another 300-400 for the smallport 100kw though?

rthy
6th December 2006, 02:46 PM
i prefer bigport as a standard motor, but if ur ganna mod it then small port is the way

parkerlewis
6th December 2006, 05:41 PM
$500 extra for small port, but they didn't sound like they had any. So that's now $4100 for a stock motor install, plus exhaust plus gearbox (mines a bit fukd), so say 450 box, and 250 headers used, another 250 for the headers back to muffler (which I already have). It's then over $5000. I could do a 20V install myself for much less than that, or a bit less anyway. aarghh...stress.

[MET]
6th December 2006, 08:08 PM
yep once you start adding things up it gets too exxy unless you do it yourself, for $5000 you could go buy a running 4AGE sprinter from the forums! lol then work out what to do with your car.

parkerlewis
6th December 2006, 08:09 PM
yep...

defect
7th December 2006, 03:09 PM
i think u should spend 500 bucks getting a 2nd car
while sourcing the parts over the forums and from other wreckers yourself.

parkerlewis
7th December 2006, 03:43 PM
what car can i get rwc on for 500? I'm not going to do that, but thanks for offering help, it's just not something that is realistic right now when I have all the other stuff to chase up...

rthy
7th December 2006, 04:35 PM
y not fix up the 4ac?
i know people dont like to spend money on the 4ac, but its still a decent motor with some kinda of power to get u from A to B