PDA

View Full Version : stereos into ke70s

Clinton
9th July 2007, 08:31 PM
ok so im looking for a simple set up of like a headunit, 2 6x9's on the parcel shelf and 2 other little speakers which go into were the original speakers holes. the fuckwits at straithfeild car radios didnt really want to help but more flog something to me. can anyone shed some light on the topic as to what needs to be done to the front speaker holder-in-erers? (some dooche at srathfeild said there was no speakers in the front WTF) and also they said that 6x9's wouldnt fit onto the parcel shelf. please someone help me!

ae71
9th July 2007, 08:54 PM
you would have to cut holes in the rear parcel shelf if there are not already some there. the front speakers are on the pannels under the dash and are 4" standard.

you may want to put them in the doors if your going for 6x9 or 6" should fit where the front standard ones are under the dash.

there is a seporate section on www.rollaclub.com for audio just so you know.

DRFTPG
9th July 2007, 08:56 PM
hey clinton if you can get yourself a headunit ill hook you up with some speakers, ill talk to u on msn. and i can put em in for ya

Clinton
9th July 2007, 09:31 PM
ok thanks all. next question: has anyone mounted 6" into the original holes with some chopping? if so of what has been chopped? thats actaully 2 questions lol ^_^

Driftspec
9th July 2007, 09:45 PM
ok thanks all. next question: has anyone mounted 6" into the original holes with some chopping? if so of what has been chopped? thats actaully 2 questions lol ^_^[/b]

What size are you chopping into? In my old Navara ute I fit 6" 4-ways into what was a 5 - 5.5" hole. They should sit in fine. Anything smaller would probably need spacers on them to work.

And you will need to cut holes to fit the 6x9s in. The stock parcel tray will probably be old and sucky, so it may be best to fabricate a new one from some 1-inch chipboard (approximate size), some foam and carpet. If the car is going to feel every bump, do it, so that way you won't end up with it falling in every time you go over a speed bump...

Shouls look something like this (to give you an idea):

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/142160.jpg

Was a custom job done by the good guys at Strathfield Morayfield. They know their shit :)

DRFTPG
9th July 2007, 09:47 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=371309)
ok thanks all. next question: has anyone mounted 6" into the original holes with some chopping? if so of what has been chopped? thats actaully 2 questions lol ^_^[/b]

What size are you chopping into? In my old Navara ute I fit 6" 4-ways into what was a 5 - 5.5" hole. They should sit in fine. Anything smaller would probably need spacers on them to work.

And you will need to cut holes to fit the 6x9s in. The stock parcel tray will probably be old and sucky, so it may be best to fabricate a new one from some 1-inch chipboard (approximate size), some foam and carpet. If the car is going to feel every bump, do it, so that way you won't end up with it falling in every time you go over a speed bump...

Shouls look something like this (to give you an idea):

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/142160.jpg

Was a custom job done by the good guys at Strathfield Morayfield. They know their shit :)
[/b]

he is in a Keto not an 86 bro

obey wan boenny
9th July 2007, 09:51 PM
^^ he was just using his parcel tray as an example of how he can use the same set up in his KE70.

MountainRunner
9th July 2007, 09:53 PM
i just got my sound shit for around $357 which was head unit 2x 4" speakers (front) 6" speakers for the Rear
ok sound dont really want some fucking HECTIK SOUND SYSTEM BRO unless u wanna look like a tool (y)

Driftspec
9th July 2007, 09:55 PM
he is in a Keto not an 86 bro[/b]

I know :)

The idea is the same but, and illustrating the point that 6x9s will fit easily (the KE70 should be similar dimensions).

And I like my music, I like it loud and good quality, mmmkkayy?? :lol:

DRFTPG
9th July 2007, 10:15 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=371324)
he is in a Keto not an 86 bro[/b]

I know :)

The idea is the same but, and illustrating the point that 6x9s will fit easily (the KE70 should be similar dimensions).

And I like my music, I like it loud and good quality, mmmkkayy?? :lol:
[/b]

if you like good quality then why do you have 6x9's and a sub?:P the oval shape of 6x9s doesnt create an acurate sound like round drivers do. so if you have a sub then there is no need for 6x9s as the only benifit of 6x9's is more bass :P

obey wan boenny
9th July 2007, 11:51 PM
^I was under the impression that 6x9's handle mid-range tones better than bass tones, which is probably the reason why driftspec has 6x9's to handle mid range tones and a sub a handle low frequencies which should give a better overall sound quality? :huh:

Driftspec
9th July 2007, 11:51 PM
if you like good quality then why do you have 6x9's and a sub?:P the oval shape of 6x9s doesnt create an acurate sound like round drivers do. so if you have a sub then there is no need for 6x9s as the only benifit of 6x9's is more bass :P[/b]

The picture doesn't illustrate the 4" splits with boxed crossovers in the front of the cabin.

The way it is set up now works really well, I've spent a long time (well, 1/2 an hour on Saturday actually) tuning it to the way I want it to sound:

4" Splits up front do the majority of the high-end frequencies. High guitar, vocals, cymbals, the tinny part of the drums, it handles them fairly well, no distortion (not trying to produce lower frequencies). They are run off an amp, so they can be pushed fairly hard.

The 6x9s run off the head deck. Obviously, they can't really be pushed, but the benefit is the mid-to-low-range frequencies they produce. Many guitars, bass riffs, vocals, it produces them all. they tend to create a nice warm feel to the sound. I want them to produce bass, not the doof-doof stuff, but the useful frequencies that make music so nice. I didn't have that before, but I have it now (read on)

The sub is run off the amp (obviously), produces deep to mid level bass. The bass kick drum, low bass guitar as well as other low frequencies produced by music.

I've found that the particular sub/amp combo goes very hard from about 60Hz to 150Hz, and then trails off badly, leaving a hole in the spectrum of sound that I want produced. After playing with the settings on the head deck and the amp, I've turned down the splits and sub to allow the 6x9s to be louder, so that the 'hole' in the spectrum I had previously is no longer there. I've now got response from all frequencies, from 50Hz to 18KHz, with a hump at about 80HZ and again at about 8KHz or so - tested with a sine wave test, it performed pretty well. Obviously not the best, but I'm pretty damn happy :)

I don't think I answered the question... moral of the story is that my 6x9s produce the bass and midrange that the sub doesn't, and now I can hear it, so I'm happy :)

EDIT: And majic beat me to it :P

obey wan boenny
10th July 2007, 12:00 AM
lol :P

ke70dave
10th July 2007, 12:41 PM
if your gonna run a sub you dont need 6x9s in the back (not having a dig at you drift spec) i used to work at JB hifi selling car audio, and people woudl come in and ask why their system sounded like crap. was most of the time because they were running bass through their 6x9's as well as having a subwoofer as well. so both speakers were producing low frequencies in the same compartment (6x9's and sub both in the boot compartment), and interacting with each other and creating weird sounds.

i have got some 6" speakers in the rear of my ke70, they seem to fit in perfect but i think they holes may have been cut by previous owner.

if your gonna fun 6x9's and a subwoofer you really need to high-pass the 6x9's (ie get rid of any bass from them) and low pass the subwoofer at the same frequency.

egsample.

6x9's high pass set to 80hz (ie the 6x9's get everything above 80hz)
and the subwoofer low pass set to 80hz (ie sub gets everything below 80hz)

as has been mentioned 4" is stock in the front, you should be able to fit some 6" in the doors, but will prolly have to use those spacer things to stop the speakers from hitting the window mechanism.

julzy
10th July 2007, 01:07 PM
I have 6x9's in the back of my 71.
You can make a template which bolts through the holes in the parcel tray and also through the speaker. The speaker itself will sit about 1" below the parcel tray. They sound pretty good but unfortunately leak a fair bit of sound out through the boot. And from memory cutting a parcel tray is illegal

spoon
10th July 2007, 01:51 PM
yep, because the 6x9s arent round the frequency spectrum they output isnt linear. this is caused because they are an oval shape meaning the narrowest part of the speaker is the stiffest producing the mid range as the frequency decreases the part of the cone further out is used and begins to distort as its not as stiff. this makes sound quality not as good. the reason they dont work well with subs is because the subs put out a more linear sound as they are round (funny enough) and when run with a pair of 6x9s they produce an out of phase wave and cause the bass to be canceled out. thats why guys turn the bass on the 6x9s off... so apart from having no need for the larger diameter of the 6x9s also overall sound quality is reduced. thats why if you're running a sub you should only use it with round speakers and ones that have seperate crossover frequencies.

DRFTPG
10th July 2007, 02:41 PM
i think we've gotten a little offtopic here haha but i agree with ke70dave and spoon, there is no need for 6x9's if a subwoofer is going to be used.

Ontopic: Clinton you buying those speakers today?

DRFTPG
10th July 2007, 02:41 PM
double post sorry

Driftspec
10th July 2007, 03:32 PM
6x9s don't seem to produce the low stuff at high volume well (in my experience anyways)

I agree with you completely Dave, avoiding conflicting frequencies is the go (unless you want muddy, weird bass). Got LPF working on the sub, and I'm pretty sure the phase is different between the 6x9s and sub.

I will say, thats my experience, its all subjective, etc etc, each person to their own.

Not sure about the legalities of cutting parcel trays, thats why I went the new option :D

Hope the speakers worked out well Clinton :)

Clinton
10th July 2007, 06:29 PM
anyone butchered there 6" into the original place were the 4s were?

ae71neo
10th July 2007, 06:36 PM
Best sounding stereo? Straight through 2 1/4" pipe.

Clinton
10th July 2007, 07:24 PM
^^^ lol yes but back on topic

Driftspec
10th July 2007, 08:30 PM
lol

I'm sure it can be done, with some force and possibly some power tools.

Now I'm trying to remember how I got my 6" into the ute...

If I remember I'll let you know :)

dr1ft-pig
10th July 2007, 08:53 PM
clinton, my cousin used to own a stereo shop over here in lismore, he still has heaps of stock and will help a brother out wif sum stereo, ill see what hes got , get u a cheap price and ill put it in for you for free

obey wan boenny
10th July 2007, 10:10 PM
^^bloody saint mate :2thumbs: ^^ wish there were more fellas around like you :)

dr1ft-pig
10th July 2007, 10:20 PM
aww yaknow i do me best B)

Clinton
11th July 2007, 11:08 AM
lol hate to break it to you brendon but I've already bought all the shit i need. thanks for the offer though. even when i made stuff up to people at strathfeild car radios saying that i was going to re fab the parcel shelf and the kickpanels, they said i needed to buy more shit from them :wacko: to the people at straithfeild ca radios in tarren point fuck you!

dr1ft-pig
11th July 2007, 07:34 PM
lol alright, you right to ut it in, i can if needed, just come over here and ill knock it over if ya want

DRFTPG
11th July 2007, 07:44 PM
lol alright, you right to ut it in, i can if needed, just come over here and ill knock it over if ya want[/b]

me and him are putting it in on friday night :P

dr1ft-pig
11th July 2007, 07:46 PM
done,saves me doing it haha

Driftspec
11th July 2007, 11:45 PM
Probably not going to help you guys, but anyway...

You'll probably end up cutting the hole to make it bigger (obviously). When we put the 6" in my ute, they were 5" holes, but we put them in little plasic holders of some description. I think they held the speaker in the door, enough so that when you screwed it in it all sat as one unit, no bounce etc. I'm sure you'll be able to figure it ourt easily enough, especially after a few brews... I know we did ;)

DRFTPG
13th July 2007, 03:04 PM
haha the ghetto spec stereo is in :D, we modded the speakers to make em fit :P was easier than making new mounts.

Driftspec
13th July 2007, 03:22 PM
haha the ghetto spec stereo is in :D, we modded the speakers to make em fit :P was easier than making new mounts.[/b]

Awesome.

And it isn't even Friday night yet :P

Clinton
13th July 2007, 09:58 PM
yes all done. dam i should put a jihad on the wog lady at strathfeild car radios. if anyone lives in the southerland shire of sydney can they please go and tell a wog lady that the fat kid with the white corolla successfully fitting everything into his car WITHOUT any of her shit that she said i needed. if someone did that for me it would be greatly appreciated