PDA

View Full Version : 4agte opinions for killer oil smoke

JDMJNKY
2nd September 2007, 04:04 PM
ok gte engine last comp blew radiator hose ran hot for a bit, head checked ok bottom end unknown damage, head replaced with trd metal gasket motor back in run fine untill under boost blows copious ammounts of oil smolke. engine out check compression 150psi even all cylinders, only difference im running the engine rocker cover breather straight back in2 the inlet mani instead of a catch can. I run na 4age rocker covers on this motor, smallport head bigport block so oil return gallery in back of head blocked.

ok first thought of mine rings got soft from getting hot, blowbly, not aplicable 150psi compression.
2nd thought too much oil in engine incorrect dipstick fitted checked not applicable.
3rd thought na rocker covers have different breather setup??????????
4th thought not enough oil returning to sump due to oil return in head blocked off???????????
5th thought why is there so much oil in the top of the motor???????????
6th though no turbo is near new just been checked and is fine!!!!

give your thoughts people im extreemly lost here????

slide86
2nd September 2007, 04:25 PM
does the engine breather have a one way valve in it?

if not, there will be boost entering the engine and forcing it (oil) into the cylinder somewhere.

tried disconnecting the breather and going for a run?

bahnugget
2nd September 2007, 04:34 PM
probably a really dumb idea, as i dont know if its even possible..

but a crack in the oil gallery, letting oil seep into the cylinder under pressure?

JDMJNKY
2nd September 2007, 04:35 PM
that makes extreeme sense!!!!!!!!!!! but engine is out of the car and i couldnt of driven it on the street anyway!!

slide86
2nd September 2007, 04:48 PM
^ which idea

ive seen a diesel jackaroo with a cracked oil gallery. too months to figure out what it was

AE71 Rolla
2nd September 2007, 06:12 PM
Number five is a dead give away. The breather from the cam cover has to run into a catch can or just straight to the atmosphere. I have been told that when you run it back into the inlet manifold it pressurises the top and bottom of the piston so the oil that is pumped up cannot go anywhere. i had it setup like this for a while and one time when i opened my bonnet the entire engine bay was covered in oil as it all came out of the dipstick from the pressure build up.

JDMJNKY
2nd September 2007, 06:25 PM
^ which idea

ive seen a diesel jackaroo with a cracked oil gallery. too months to figure out what it was[/b]

engine breather idea!!!! both head and block have been insopected and are in excellent cond!!

JDMJNKY
2nd September 2007, 06:26 PM
Number five is a dead give away. The breather from the cam cover has to run into a catch can or just straight to the atmosphere. I have been told that when you run it back into the inlet manifold it pressurises the top and bottom of the piston so the oil that is pumped up cannot go anywhere. i had it setup like this for a while and one time when i opened my bonnet the entire engine bay was covered in oil as it all came out of the dipstick from the pressure build up.[/b]

did u get any problems with the smoke though??

AE71 Rolla
2nd September 2007, 06:53 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=397747)
Number five is a dead give away. The breather from the cam cover has to run into a catch can or just straight to the atmosphere. I have been told that when you run it back into the inlet manifold it pressurises the top and bottom of the piston so the oil that is pumped up cannot go anywhere. i had it setup like this for a while and one time when i opened my bonnet the entire engine bay was covered in oil as it all came out of the dipstick from the pressure build up.[/b]

[/b]

Yeah i did. When it came on boost it just pumped it out

JDMJNKY
2nd September 2007, 07:22 PM
<{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=397758)

[/b]

Yeah i did. When it came on boost it just pumped it out
[/b]

thanks very much for the info i guess that was the problem!!! spuing i went to the drift practice and did 2 laps before i put it on the trailer and went home what a bummer!!!

70XIN
2nd September 2007, 10:35 PM
Haha definitely the breather hose!

I thought i had killed my beautiful motor when one day, in my sillyness, i decided to "clean up" the big breather line instead of having it vent to atmosphere

Ahhh you learn things every day :greenbounce:

albertos
3rd September 2007, 07:39 AM
breather hose needs to be a good size with no kinks and even better if u can get one on each cover

i was thinking turbo gone, was it still making power

nanes
3rd September 2007, 11:26 AM
breather for sure,

same happened to me. installed catch can, vented to atmosphere. problem solved

JDMJNKY
3rd September 2007, 02:13 PM
breather hose needs to be a good size with no kinks and even better if u can get one on each cover

i was thinking turbo gone, was it still making power[/b]

Yeah mat was still meking power haha lucky it wasnt my good motor!!!!

lesson learnt!!!