PDA

View Full Version : Common modifications - and how useless they can be... interesting read

eddie6943
25th November 2007, 02:23 AM
I accidentally stumbled upon this page, although its not about ae86s its still an interesting read.

"Common modifications - and how useless they can be"

http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/gotch...seless_mods.htm (http://www.max-boost.co.uk/max-boost/gotchas/useless_mods.htm)

Some of it might actually be true , such as:

'Steel headgaskets'
'ARP head bolts'
'Turbo timers'

What do you guys reckon?

Cheers
Eddie

letsgohunting
25th November 2007, 03:07 AM
The thing about turbo timers is true. In my c33, if I got for a hard run, all I do is drive sedately sort of like a warm down and then turn the engine immediately off. Obviously if you've been driving on the highway for 4 hours at 140km/h you don't want to turn the car off immediately, thats when you give it say 30 seconds to just warm down.

As for pod filters, IMO they do make a difference even on n/a cars in throttle response, plus the intake noise is better - cars are just as much about enjoyment as they are figures.

riojin
25th November 2007, 09:17 AM
i like the thinking on the steel head gaskets.

i dont bother with most bullsh*t mods like those mentioned. some i do like for personal preference like lowering, but i dont like it superlow like some people go. just enough to make the guards look filled.

i and most people would barely be able to tell the difference between a 86kw and 100kw 4age in power. we can however tell the difference in the way the motor reacts.

figures dont mean much to me when it comes to cars. is it fun or not is what i care about.

Huz
25th November 2007, 10:04 AM
That's what I have always thought about when people put steel head gaskets in there 7mges. The head gasket is supposed to be like a fail safe so that you don't do any damage to the engine.

I don't believe him about a lot of things on there including the turbo timer part.

70XIN
25th November 2007, 12:09 PM
Exhaust no good?

A dead stock S15 made 110rwkw, one with a pod and exhaust (no boost upgrade) made 150rwkw.

I don't agree with quite a few points there, but he does have a few interesting ones of his own.

puzzigully
25th November 2007, 12:26 PM
ive thought similar on turbo timers for awhile too.. just drive the car gently for the last few minutes

TrackRona
25th November 2007, 12:34 PM
damn, he has a lot of good points. i have to disagree on a few. exhausts DO yield more horsepower. the difference between my hachi with its factory exhaust, and my hachi with a custom header and muffler is at least 20 friggin horsepower(eh..dont know how many kw that is..) also custom wheels are ok if theyre not too big.

eddie6943
25th November 2007, 05:17 PM
Yea he does have a few good points, but i reckon as long as you do ur research with ur mods i dont htink u cant go wrong.

LAZY
25th November 2007, 09:04 PM
disagree about the arp bolts part, what a load of ship. The only things a consider stupid are big wings, stickers, neons, and chrome.

JoshKE
25th November 2007, 09:48 PM
Well if he's right with everything then explain to me why I can corner at much higher speed than I could with a stock setup...

According to him I shouldn't think that perhaps a car manufacturer needs to accommodate everyone they aim to sell the car to, not just track drivers.
How many 86's would have been sold to old ladies if the suspension was a set of race coil-overs from factory? none
and I don't doubt for a second that it puts more stress on components, but if your going to convince me that there is no performance gains then I need to see a stocker do some pretty crazy things...

KYLE K YO
25th November 2007, 10:31 PM
there are very good points in that
now i feel like a hiprocrite cause my cars slammed.
lol