PDA

View Full Version : two questions in one

Fozz
1st December 2007, 05:52 PM
Hey guys just a few questions

so i decided to do some diy work cause im really poor so tomorrow im planning on replacing my sump and headgasket
is there anyway to remove the sump without taking off the crossmember and also what do u guys use to seal it up i brought some liquid gasket from super cheap will that work?

also when i take the head off to replace the gasket is there anything i should be aware of? whats the easiest way off removing the head?

soz for the noob questions

by the way the motor is 16v 4age

Beams
1st December 2007, 06:07 PM
When resealing up the sump use the Toyota FIPG stuff. Works well and knowing its from Toyota, you wont have any dramas.

For the head, disconnect hoses, unbolt according to the manaul, I dont think youll have any problems.

350hp4agte
2nd December 2007, 03:05 PM
number one if the sump aint leaking its not going to its not under pressure so there is really no need to change the seal also the sump is only goowed on no gasket as sutch

number two taking the head off and putting it back on is easy , but is very easy for sh*t so go pear shaped quickly, do you have a tourqe whrench do you no the tourqe settings, do you no that the head has to be taken off and put back on with the number one piston at top dead center, the timing belt has to go back on exactly where it cam from if its one toth out it wont run the same (timing will be out ) there is alot of stuff man is not just take off and put back on.

is there a reason you want to change it has it blown?

ke70dave
2nd December 2007, 04:08 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (350hp4agte @ Dec 2 2007, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=445504)</div>
number one if the sump aint leaking its not going to its not under pressure so there is really no need to change the seal also the sump is only goowed on no gasket as sutch

number two taking the head off and putting it back on is easy , but is very easy for sh*t so go pear shaped quickly, do you have a tourqe whrench do you no the tourqe settings, do you no that the head has to be taken off and put back on with the number one piston at top dead center, the timing belt has to go back on exactly where it cam from if its one toth out it wont run the same (timing will be out ) there is alot of stuff man is not just take off and put back on.

is there a reason you want to change it has it blown?[/b]

bingo!

no need replacing stuff that dont need replacing.

head gaskets and sump gaskets are not considered "maintainence".

if they are fine, then leave them!

parrot
2nd December 2007, 05:22 PM
Download the factory manual and follow that, then there is little to go wrong. Obviously you will need a VRS set which I buy from a guy on UK ebay. Hugely cheaper, even with postage than Australian options plus he has the metal intake gaskets in his sets.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOYOTA-MR2-CELICA-C...1QQcmdZViewItem (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/TOYOTA-MR2-CELICA-CARINA-1-6-GT-4A-GEU-HEAD-GASKET-SET_W0QQitemZ130176997771QQihZ003QQcategoryZ10428Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

Plus another vote for the Toyota sealant gunk.

DRFTPG
2nd December 2007, 05:40 PM
If it aint broke dont fix it!! And if you dont know what your doing get a profesional or some help from someone who has done it before. its not just a matter of bolting it back on, theres timing, valve clearances, new exhaust and intake manifold gaskets...its a pretty big job and if not done properly can have disastrous consequences!!

parrot
2nd December 2007, 05:59 PM
I disagree. As long as you have a reasonable set of tools and a torque wrench it is a simple job, you just need to take your time and follow the factory manual. Clearances are not affected with a headgasket change.

Whilst you are there, make sure you change your timing belt too if you don't know how old it is.

mc68
2nd December 2007, 06:20 PM
not so much of a problem with a little 4A but when you take out the camshafts to get to the head bolts below, just be careful never to mix up the shims and buckets

I know it sounds hard to muck them up, but hey, it happens sometimes...

thats why whenever i pull off a head in any car i always mark the shims/buckets from where they came with a paint pen, even if i wont be taking them off the head at all. Say with 1 being the shim at the front of the engine and 8 being the shim at the back; mark I (inlet) #1 then so forth, and E (exhaust) #1 again.

Fozz
2nd December 2007, 08:45 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ke70dave @ Dec 2 2007, 03:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=445546)</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (350hp4agte @ Dec 2 2007, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=445504)

is there a reason you want to change it has it blown?[/b]

bingo!

no need replacing stuff that dont need replacing.

head gaskets and sump gaskets are not considered "maintainence".

if they are fine, then leave them!
[/b][/quote]

thanks for all of your replies

yer the headgasket is blown and the sump got bashed in accidently wen i was doing the engine conversion

ke70dave
2nd December 2007, 09:08 PM
ahh well in that case, better get crackin

as otheres have said its not a difficult job, taking it off is easy,you just have to make sure you allign everything correctly when you put it back on.

once you get the manual for the engine it should be easy enough to follow to put it all back together.

so yer jsut do a bunch of research, and take your time, and most importantly...use decent tools!!!

roady
2nd December 2007, 10:44 PM
three bond good stuff just make sure every thing that u use it on is very clean and dry and let it dry for 24hrs never leak again i use it at work good stuff

the head is easy to do if u have the tools and some mechanical mind lol just dont for get if it has a blown head gasket think why. (old age, overheated) if overheated u might want to get the head check out to see if its warped cuz if it is, it will just blow the gasket again dont for get to clean the deck to

Jai

machg
3rd December 2007, 09:54 PM
You may find the head bolts difficult to get out as they have minimal clearance around them. I found a 1/2 inch drive socket (10mm from memory) needs to be "turned down" to fit on some of the head bolts, otherwise the soulder on the socket stops you getting it on the bolt properly. Anyone else found this?