PDA

View Full Version : How To: ae71 centre swap

vx2dy4
22nd April 2009, 10:17 PM
Hey Guys,

New to ae86, If someone can give me a run down of how to change centres or do it for money or a slab or something.

Thanks Borey

Golberg
22nd April 2009, 11:30 PM
Swapping a centre in a borgy is a fairly big deal, better off just swapping housings with the centres still in them. If you do swap the centre you really should get it done by a diff shop so that its all setup correctly.

An AE86 diff is much more simple and can be done at home.

adam
22nd April 2009, 11:42 PM
It's a bitch of a job, but here's how you go about doing it.

Jack car up, place on stands.
Undo shocks.
Take wheels off.
Loosen hand breaks then take drums off.
Get a 15mm socket and undo the 4 bolts holding the axles in on each side.
Take axles out (probably the hardest part), use a slide hammer or just put drum back on backwards, screw in two nuts lightly, use the drum as a slide hammer.
Undo the diff plate, 13mm from memory. Don't forget to place a bucket of some sort under to catch oil.
Undo brackets which hold centre in by using a 16mm socket, should be four, two each side.
Pull diff centre out.

Go back for installation.

I might've forgotten a step..

vx2dy4
23rd April 2009, 09:05 AM
Cheers guys,

When taken the axles out, is there a c clip to hold them in place. Or do i just have to pull them out and thats that!

scott_22
23rd April 2009, 06:45 PM
dont forget the shims in the diff!!! make sure when you take the diff out. there will be 2 little oil seal looking things on either side in between the diff houseing and the bearings. these have to go back in in the exact same place otherwise the diff will be stupidly noisey. trust me. i put up with it on a daily basis.