PDA

View Full Version : more f series questions

jontrueno
17th May 2008, 09:24 PM
i have a zenki rear end in my 86, t292, is the f292 or f282 the best one? i assume the f292 due to the same numbers but i just want to make sure, and to be clear, is it a straight fit once the mounts are changed over? because my current rims just fit in the guards. and what are the diff ratios of the f? i saw the f292 in a bubble tarago as well as the older squarer one?
and for the tailshaft does that have to be changed or can my t series one still bolt up?
sorry for the million questions, thanks
Tim

Andor
17th May 2008, 10:13 PM
Not sure about the diff codes. there is a webpage somewhere that says whats what. But the tarago diff is definatly wider atleast 20mm per side. You can get a 4.1 ratio and I think a 4.3 aswell as some others. You definatly need a custom tailshaft. I think the mx13 corona diff is the closest width to std ae86 diff, but theyre harder to come by.

slydar
17th May 2008, 10:52 PM
the code only pertains to the ratio, the ring gear size.. as well as the centre type. it has nothing to do with the housing.

T = 6.7" ring gear
E = 7.xx?
F = 7.5" ring gear
G = 8"

ect

29 = 4.1 ratio.. 28 = 4.3, 30 = 3.9 ect.

the last number, is the centre type 2 = 2 pinion open

3= 2 pin' lsd

4 = 4 pinion open

5 = 4 pin' lsd.

jdm ae86 with factory option lsd = T283...

you will need a different, or modified tailshaft, for lenght and drive flange pcd.

also there is not an un modified F housing that will add any less than just under 20mm track.

sorry, its a kinda big and expensive job, which is why people persist with the borderline strength T diffs (me included)

E series tarago adds only just enough strength for most turbo people, lots of cheap ratios and axles, and you will almost always get away with your stock T compatible tailshaft. there is no well known LSD option, and you will still get a minimal track increase of around 20mm.

then F obviously has been discussed.

mikewestphoto
17th May 2008, 11:00 PM
The tarago diff is 1455mm wide, your corolla diff is 1410, you can figure out that your rims aren't going to fit.

Your t292 has a 4.1 ratio, the f292 is the same with 282 being a 4.3. Some taragos are 252 and these have a 4.56. You can get 3.5, 3.72, 3.9 from MA61 and MX73.

Screwing around with the tailshafts and diffs outside, the flange should meet up but be dodgey(tarago uses bigger bolts to connect tailshaft to diff flange, I suggest you get the tailshaft modified with the right flange). taking an approximate measurement, both diffs look to be 250mm from axle centreline to diff flange. I would put the diff in and try the stock tailshaft but as said, might be dodge.