PDA

View Full Version : Slanty to flat conversion

ke70_sa
5th June 2008, 02:31 PM
hey guys,

just wondering, as i prefer the flat front ke's to the slanty, but the slantys hav the better motor, can you convert the front ends with the quarters, bonnet, gril & lights to look flat front?

cheers

superbmobile
5th June 2008, 03:02 PM
yes you can.

marvis
5th June 2008, 03:06 PM
Slant front's come with 'the better motor' (4a-c) and the 4k-c. Yes it can be done, need to change the radiator support or make a bracket for the lights. Also need the beaver pannel to add to what you have said. :)

pebbles
5th June 2008, 06:04 PM
4k's also came in slanty fronts

Gilly
5th June 2008, 08:21 PM
bit of a mission to do properly.

you really should use an early radiator support to make it all "work"

ke70_sa
6th June 2008, 12:37 AM
well i currently have a flat front, so I'm sure that would make the process a whole lot easier i recon. that would end up easier than converting a flat front with a 4AGE set up.

wide s13
6th June 2008, 09:08 PM
its not hard ive just unstiched my front radiater panel off my ae71 slantey to install a ke70 flat front due to jap quad headlights. lines up pretty sweet. its like 2mm out one side but nothing noticeable to the naked i lol

Rakurai
6th June 2008, 09:12 PM
Buy a flat front lol. I'm lazy and got to the point where u need to make a bracket for lights and or rad support. and its just gay.

marvis
7th June 2008, 09:13 AM
I'm going to look at it and make a bracket for the lights.

How do quads go on a slant front converted?

Anyone have pics?

wide s13
7th June 2008, 10:12 AM
well my fornt was a slanty and they didnt fit so i unstiched the radiater support panel and stiched in a ke70 flat front all bolts in nicely.

wide s13
7th June 2008, 10:18 AM
sorry guys fixed it lol

Clinton
7th June 2008, 11:07 AM
pix don't work unless they have an accnt?

marvis
7th June 2008, 11:32 AM
Seems to be so. I wanted to see pics too!

starni_boy
8th June 2008, 11:09 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (marvis @ Jun 7 2008, 08:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=542656)</div>
I'm going to look at it and make a bracket for the lights.

How do quads go on a slant front converted?

Anyone have pics?[/b]

It Looks like a normal flat front KE with Quads..

If your super interested to look at pics, V-tec had a slant front radiator support with early model lights. He made up a bracket to suit the lights to the rad support and bolted them on. When he went Quads I'm pretty sure he cut the rad support and welded the early one on.

Also, take into consideration that you have to modify the wiring loom. The AE71 front has parkers and indicators in the one unit and it only has one plug, Whereas the KE70 flat front has parkers in the same spot, but indicators on the guard, meaning you will need to get another plug from somewhere and modify the loom.
You will also have to mod the loom to suit the Quads, for high beam etc etc. Unless you only want one quad headlight working, which kills the point of having quads :P

wide s13
8th June 2008, 11:35 AM
fixed the pics lol it took a day pretty much yeah you have to modify the loom but any mechanic/electrically minded person can do it lol i thought to my self stuff making brackets so got hold of a t18 support panel but ke70 early flat front are the same too not hard to unstich and reweld. prolly safer to get a panelbeater to do it but mine now has less flex than my ae71 front lol i did weld it in more places though

Clinton
8th June 2008, 11:48 AM
but you can just get at it wil tin snips and a drill and it will be right?

marvis
8th June 2008, 12:47 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (starni_boy @ Jun 8 2008, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=543033)</div>
It Looks like a normal flat front KE with Quads..[/b]

I know that. i was thinking with swapping the rad support... But it seems it can't be done..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (starni_boy @ Jun 8 2008, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=543033)</div>
If your super interested to look at pics, V-tec had a slant front radiator support with early model lights. He made up a bracket to suit the lights to the rad support and bolted them on. When he went Quads I'm pretty sure he cut the rad support and welded the early one on.[/b] Yeah i have that picture on my pc :) Looks like i will have to get a rad support.

Also, take into consideration that you have to modify the wiring loom. The AE71 front has parkers and indicators in the one unit and it only has one plug, Whereas the KE70 flat front has parkers in the same spot, but indicators on the guard, meaning you will need to get another plug from somewhere and modify the loom.
You will also have to mod the loom to suit the Quads, for high beam etc etc. Unless you only want one quad headlight working, which kills the point of having quads :P[/b] Sounds like lots of fun. Thanks mate.

ke70dave
8th June 2008, 01:13 PM
i converted my slanty ke70 to flat front and kept the slanty rad support, but i installed some quad lights off some old corona, which was all custom made.

the wiring converting part is easy, just have to get friendly with a multi meter and a soldering iron, just make sure you get your new parkers with plugs/short wires already on them.

the ONLY reason you need to get the flat front rad support is to mount the head lights. like has been said vtec used the slanty front rad support with with early lights, just have to get creative, as long as you do a good enough job you wont get hassled by the boys in blue.

i don't know if its been mentioned but you also need to get a early model rad support..support part....the bit that attaches to your bonnet latch and mounts down below somewhere. this is used to bolt on your grill, and the apron doesn't sit properly if you got the late model one still...

starni_boy
9th June 2008, 11:42 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ke70dave @ Jun 8 2008, 01:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=543066)</div>
i don't know if its been mentioned but you also need to get a early model rad support..support part....the bit that attaches to your bonnet latch and mounts down below somewhere. this is used to bolt on your grill, and the apron doesn't sit properly if you got the late model one still...[/b]

Yeah, the top bolt is way too long for the apron/stone tray. This could be easily fixed by cutting said bracket in half, taking a section out then re-welding it on accordingly.

Its the part in the middle of the rad support, going down from the bonnet latch to the bottom chassis rail. The mentioned bolt is just below the Bonnet latch.

starni_boy
9th June 2008, 11:44 AM
Also, the plus of not cutting off the rad support, is that you can always go back to Slanty front if you need to.

wide s13
9th June 2008, 06:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (starni_boy @ Jun 9 2008, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=543379)</div>
Also, the plus of not cutting off the rad support, is that you can always go back to Slanty front if you need to.[/b]

thats why mines sitting in the shed if i need it ;)
easily rewelded on :2thumbs:

Konakid
9th June 2008, 07:22 PM
\/\/\/

Konakid
9th June 2008, 07:22 PM
Just drilled holes in my slanty front for quads, sits mint.

Clinton
10th June 2008, 12:50 PM
hey kona do you have pix of how it sits and what has to be cut and all that sort of jabber? I'm about to do it in the next couple of days

starni_boy
10th June 2008, 04:56 PM
If you are referring to quads:
When going to quads from ADM flat front, nothing needs to be cut. Quads fit in with the ADM stone tray uncut.
Hilton used an ADM stone tray, but later on went to a JDM one anyway. Pretty sure that Ethan on here (shic-jyu or some shit) uses an ADM stone tray too.

Pics wont help too much, its just a case of trial and error. Get all the panels on, the get your Flat front lights (or quads) and get the parkers sitting properly in the guards and mark where the studs foul on the rad support. Then get the grille and measure that, make sure that it will all fit.

Hope that helps.. Probably not haha

marvis
11th June 2008, 03:27 PM
Sweet. I'm picking up a ke70 s1 front today, makes things easy.