PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Setup....

federal
21st June 2008, 06:56 PM
Gday,

currently wiring up my switch board and boot mounting the battery...

just need alittle help as to whether this layout will work?

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/172104.jpg

any help appreciated,

Cheers,

p.s. yes, i do suck at both ms paint and wiring...

seek
21st June 2008, 07:07 PM
4 gauge cable, has a diamter of 5.189mm

if i was you, and i couldnt be fucked doing it ever again, i would just go 2-gauge cable, as it has a diamter of 6.543mm and can by my calcs can flow around 50% more current.

edit: to answer your question, yes it should work.

federal
21st June 2008, 07:25 PM
just to add to the question....

for the engine bay feed, i was planning on going 2 gauge through to a distribution block, to 2 x 4 guage cables, one to the starter, and one to a second distribution block for the bay ancileries

and then run a seperate line to the kill switch, then through a distribution block into 6 x 8 guage to the start panel

the start panel will be running....The two fuel pumps, thermo fan, and Ecu-Acc all on seperate switches....

anyone have an easier way to do it..

slide86
21st June 2008, 07:58 PM
use the 2 gauge to the engine bay.

you can use the distrubution block, or you can use a marine terminal mount to mount the original +ve terminal. ill post pics soon.

the in car starter panel will have the switches that turn the relays on, so you will need to have a place to mount the relays also. you probably shouldnt run the switches in the power circuit for the fuel pumps, only in the trigger circuit.

are you going to be using the fuel pump safety shut off? (when engine not running, pump not on) cause the fuel pump relays will run off that.

you will also need to run 4 gauge to the distribution block for the alternator, but if you use the factory terminal with the 4 gauge connected to this, you wont need to add an extra cable.

federal
21st June 2008, 08:17 PM
hmm.....

got time to come up and show me where the triggers for the fuel pumps etc are slide? :P

i quite honestly have no idea where any of the trigger lines are due to the pathetic excuse for wiring that that craig made when he wired it up....

for the starter i was going to run a distribution block off the 2 guage line, with 2 x4 gauge coming out so that one can go to the starter and one can go to the distribition block with the bay wiring....

Sprinter86
21st June 2008, 08:21 PM
Yeh use 2 guage, remember the longer the cable, the more voltage drop you will get, so i'd definitly use 2 guage.

rthy
21st June 2008, 08:31 PM
what things does this fuse box power?

Golberg
22nd June 2008, 01:42 AM
I don't know how I managed it, but I replied to the wrong forum.

Ignore me.

federal
22nd June 2008, 05:39 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sam_Q @ Jun 21 2008, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=550018)</div>
what things does this fuse box power?[/b]

start panel is for, ecu on, fuel pump on x2, thermo fan on

rthy
22nd June 2008, 09:36 PM
ok so maybe 40 amps max I am thinking. Even a 8mm^2 should be able to handle that, I think that works out to a 12 gauge?

Just get some 8 gauge cable and it will provide heaps of current. Also put an in-line fuse near the start of the cable, I recommend a corolla sprinter type battery clamp and then modify it to suit. I can get some pictures of what I mean if you like.

federal
23rd June 2008, 07:37 PM
yes please....^

rthy
2nd July 2008, 09:07 PM
ok its been a while but here it is, here is how this terminal looks now:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/172741.jpg

I don't have any before afters so its harder to describe but I will try anyway.

These have two flaps that swing open if you pick them with a screwdriver or something. One is for the alternator fuse connection and the other is for the unfused connection, which is pictured below:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/172742.jpg

this originally has the bottom brass part form into an intergral lug, I chopped this off and just fitted a normal plug instead with a longer bolt.

Same deal for the alternator wiring:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/8/4/3/172743.jpg

I just undid the existing lug and fitted a new one.

For the other two connections I just unpicked the push in lugs and crimped my own.

Looks and works like stock