PDA

View Full Version : Flywheel Q's

Dish
28th September 2008, 09:30 AM
Hey guys,

I've searched but couldn't find a DEFINITE answer. I'm getting a custom clutch built and most probably going to use a 20v flywheel. I've got a Bigport 4a and a T50 with JDM bellhousing. I want to know for sure that the 20v (212mm) flywheel isn't going to foul or cause me any problems.

Thanks,
-Roy

tony_kim
28th September 2008, 10:00 AM
AFIK they seem pretty interchangable... my smallport and t-50 used to run a blacktop flywheel.... now using toda tho.

so it should work for u also

fergo308
28th September 2008, 10:22 AM
it won't foul anything. it's only the 220mm GZE flywheels that need to be clearanced to fit inside a T50 bellhousing.

Justin...

70XIN
28th September 2008, 10:35 AM
As above

And the ring gear is exactly the same as a 200mm one, so no mucking around there

It is win :)

DRFT - 86
28th September 2008, 11:06 AM
While we are on the topic of flywheels...
can someone list the stock weight for each flywheel....

ie: bigport, smallport, silvertop 20v, blacktop 20v

Dish
28th September 2008, 05:46 PM
Thanks guys. Also would like to know above question.

I was getting a price on an extreme 200mm lightened and it was 4.3kg, but didn't bother about persuing it anymore as I want to use a 20v fly.

fergo308
28th September 2008, 06:58 PM
ae86/ae82(big port) 180mm and ae92(smallport) 200mm are the same size and weight,only difference is the friction surface diameter.
they weigh about 7kg.

silvertop 20v (200mm) is about 5.5/6kg.

blacktop flywheel (also 200mm) is the lightest factory unit. would be around 5kg at a guess. I did a clutch in my girlfriend's Ae111 late last week,and it's tiny. it's as light as you could get without swiss-cheesing it like the trd units.

steel trd flywheels are 4.3kg. - I have one of these in my 86 and it's perfect IMHO.

there's an alloy one out there that uses a steel insert for the friction surface,and that's 3.2kg... made by alloy race components in melbourne. I've driven an 86 with one of these behind a rebuilt stock smallport 4ag and it wasn't too bad for daily use,as long as you're fine with 3k rpm launches from the lights everytime you move off,especially if you're going even remotely uphill.

the ring gear is the same on all models,from 4ac to GZE.

tony_kim
28th September 2008, 07:00 PM
Blacktop: 5.9Kg
Slivertop: 6.9Kg

not sure about the 16v engines tho.

edit.... i just saw my information conflicts with what Fergo308 has stated... >_< sorry.

my source was the ae86dc faq.

rthy
28th September 2008, 08:42 PM
I wrote that in the faq, I can back it up

tony_kim
28th September 2008, 08:45 PM
from memory u weight them didnt u sam ?

fergo308
28th September 2008, 11:10 PM
don't take my figures as gospel,and if someone's put them on scales recently and has exact numbers,that's great,and the data is more than welcome. the ones I gave for the std flywheels are from memory - stuff I looked into about 7years ago,so I could quite likely be off by a bit.
I'll definitely stand by this order though,from heaviest to lightest:

GZE,big port & small port,silvertop 20v,black top 20v,TRD & toda,and alloy race components.

Justin...

DRFT - 86
29th September 2008, 09:51 AM
Cool as I wanted to compare to the chro-molly one I have for my 20v, which I weighed last night and its around 4kg, (weighed on normal scales that you stand on) so wouldnt say its exact to the gram but pretty close.

balistic
29th September 2008, 10:19 AM
I'm pretty sure the BT 20v flywheel is 212mm - not 200mm like was mentioned above.

Some more info on weight:

http://www.my-acoustic.com/Car/weight_issu...eels_weight.htm (http://www.my-acoustic.com/Car/weight_issues/compare_20v_flywheel_weight/compare_20v_flywheels_weight.htm)

slydar
29th September 2008, 10:37 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fergo308 @ Sep 28 2008, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=593657)</div>
ae86/ae82(big port) 180mm and ae92(smallport) 200mm are the same size and weight,only difference is the friction surface diameter.
they weigh about 7kg.

silvertop 20v (200mm) is about 5.5/6kg.

blacktop flywheel (also 200mm) is the lightest factory unit. would be around 5kg at a guess. I did a clutch in my girlfriend's Ae111 late last week,and it's tiny. it's as light as you could get without swiss-cheesing it like the trd units.

steel trd flywheels are 4.3kg. - I have one of these in my 86 and it's perfect IMHO.

there's an alloy one out there that uses a steel insert for the friction surface,and that's 3.2kg... made by alloy race components in melbourne. I've driven an 86 with one of these behind a rebuilt stock smallport 4ag and it wasn't too bad for daily use,as long as you're fine with 3k rpm launches from the lights everytime you move off,especially if you're going even remotely uphill.

the ring gear is the same on all models,from 4ac to GZE.[/b]

82/86 exact same. 200mm and 7ish. kg 4ac is also the same, but 6 bolts instead of 8 onto the crank.
small port and ST are the same, 212 friction surface. weight is same as each other and basically the same as above.
BT is 212, but lighter, id trust whatever is in the faq if sam says hes consolidated it but its somewhere in between a billet flywheel and the above weight wise. visually the BT fly' has sections machined out between the clutch cover bolts so theyre easy to pick.

gze's are the only ones that dont fit in rwd bell housings.

if youre sticking to NA. i usually suggest sticking with 200mm. the clutches are cheaper, and lighter, and its less rotational inertia. youre also more likely to be able to pick up a nice 2nd hand light flywheel in that size.
all ring gears are the same.

solid billet after market flywheels are usually around 4.3kg. billet after market flywheels with extra holes in them are usually around 3.7.

the alloy one you mention i would infer is more aimed at club man owners to be honest, i.e, 600kg cars.

Dish
29th September 2008, 01:02 PM
So you reckon just stick to the 200mm?

I just want to know what's the go with number of bolts and starter motor etc..

How many bolt is the Bigport 16v, I'm guessing 6. and The blacktop is 8 bolt. Is there any modification/changes of starter motor set-up to get a 212mm onto a 16v Bigport.

Main reason looking at the 212mm flywheel is it's going to work out cheaper for me to get one for the 212mm and still have it driveable rather than keep the 200mm and have something not so driver friendly.

I just chewed out my exedy heavy duty cushioned button after not even a year and I didn't treat it very bad. Mostly daily driving.

So I'm steering away from anything that is going to fuck out in 6-12months again.

balistic
29th September 2008, 01:30 PM
All 4AGE's are 8 bolt, only 4AC is 6 bolt AFAIK.

All 4AGE flywheels will bolt to other 4AGE cranks, just the GZE flywheel might have trouble fitting in the T50 bellhousing.

balistic
29th September 2008, 01:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dish @ Sep 29 2008, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=593949)</div>
I just chewed out my exedy heavy duty cushioned button after not even a year and I didn't treat it very bad. Mostly daily driving.

So I'm steering away from anything that is going to fuck out in 6-12months again.[/b]

..well it might pay to find out what chewed it out first - thats not normal. Everything being right then there is no reason for a clutch to fuck out in that amount of time with normal driving unless there is a problem somewhere!

Dish
30th September 2008, 06:02 AM
I spoke to guy who knows his shizat in and out and asked him about the HDCB and the sports organic and he said he wouldn't touch them. Cause I'll be doing them again in 6-12months. He offered me a custom kit that will hold up. The 212mm kit was going to be organic, but it's proving a little bit hard to find one, so I'll be getting a custom 200mm button I think.

Also, the clutch isn't fucked. But I just don't see the point in having a performance orientated clutch that is now starting to slip.

Also, what's the go with starter motor position when using a 212mm. Obviously there is a bigger radius of the flywheel, doesn't it cause problems?

Oly AE86
30th September 2008, 08:00 AM
Eek, I just bought the Exedy HDCB for my 212mm flywheel. hope that it lasts more than 6 - 12 months!

Ring gears are same size on 200mm or 212mm flywheels, can use any t-50 starter / 4A flywheel combination (other than GZE fly) without problems.

slydar
30th September 2008, 09:24 AM
this is all you need to know. Nicks clutches. speak to dougie.

rthy
30th September 2008, 12:48 PM
tony_kim: when I said I could back it up I mean I could do a double check. Highlife found where I found the information but I have personally found the same weight with my ST flywheel, however I didnt get around to weighing my BT flywheel before I installed it.

Dish: sounds like something is wrong, I have heard of a misalighned flywheel before that has caused such a thing. For me personally I like the idea of a greater torque limit of the 212mm clutch from the additional leverage and hence why I prefer it.

Heres a question for people, can the smaller of the GZE flywheels be made to fit a t50 with mods?

slydar
30th September 2008, 03:48 PM
ive heard of people doing it. but why? its alot of grinding of the bell housing. a 212 can be built to hold alot of power..

Dems
30th September 2008, 04:42 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sam_Q @ Sep 30 2008, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}> (index.php?act=findpost&pid=594419)</div>
tony_kim: when I said I could back it up I mean I could do a double check. Highlife found where I found the information but I have personally found the same weight with my ST flywheel, however I didnt get around to weighing my BT flywheel before I installed it.[/b]

I've got a 20v BT 212mm flywheel sitting at home which I'm going to use on my 4AGTE, if I remember I will try and weigh it tonight to confirm.

70XIN
30th September 2008, 05:11 PM
i'll agree with most stuff said

personal experience: if you're going 4AGTE, and wanting more than 150rwhappywatts, go the bigger flywheels

200mm sucked balls, i had to get the most ridiculous clamping pressures/materials so that it wouldnt slip (try driving a clutch with the disc made of 'sintered iron' (carbotic), it made a brass-button clutch a walk in the park in comparison..

those that had 212mm etc had no dramas.

so in summary, 212mm + GTE = winner

greenmac80
30th September 2008, 10:04 PM
can you buy an ae93 clutch?
that'll bolt up to the 212mm and the t50 won't it?

Dish
1st October 2008, 09:55 AM
D: I've allready spoken to the guys at Nick's clutches. That's who will be building it.

So there's zero problems with swapping a 212mm into my original 200mm set-up, no starter motor problems etc..?

Also as a couple guys have said. I'm wanting to go the 212mm for the piece of mind of more surface area and I can go something a little more reasonable than having to get something chronic to suit the 200mm.

rthy
1st October 2008, 10:26 AM
no problems at all with using any starter motor with the ring gear. The only catch is that some 4a starters hold the solenoid off away from the main motor a bit and it causes clearence issues with the extractors.

choom78
1st October 2008, 06:01 PM
it will be fine. I'm running a toda 4.1kg 200mm with a 4AC clutch! Pretty sure they are the same as 4age but its handled the abuse. Clutches are consumable products so they all need replacing eventually.