PDA

View Full Version : Wierd timing issue...

jaydos
7th October 2011, 04:34 PM
Car - KE70

motor / part in question - 4AGE bigport

problem - Timing retards itslef to ATDC, after cranking several times it will return to BTDC

occurs/started when (if applicable)- Forever

Basically my car has always had this starting problem, when starting the engine it runs really rough and mostly dies but after about 10 goes it finally fires up and drives like a dream :)

But i cant work out what could do this, i have tested and retested every single sensor on the engine according to the blue book. My TPS needed replacing and i replaced that today $220! still nothing. However when checking my dizzy pickup coils sometimes they are in range and other times there out by about 4ohms and yes i know i should replace it but i have no job at the moment so i was hoping i could get a definite answer before buying.

And i am positive it is firing ATDC because i have checked with a timing light

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jaidyn

jaydos
8th October 2011, 08:43 AM
Anyone?

timbo
8th October 2011, 09:57 AM
Is the TPS loom ok? Does sound very odd if you have replaced the TPS though... Maybe unplug it and crank the car over and see what timing it does.

H8CHIR6KU
9th October 2011, 01:03 AM
i have had something similar happen 3 times before. never on a 86 though.

turned out to be the keyway on the crank gear had flogged out and causing the timing to fluctuate as the gear was shifting back and forth on the crank.

jaydos
9th October 2011, 11:06 AM
Yeap TPS loom is fine, and keyway is also fine. It is something to do with the electronic ignition and i am 100% sure i know my dizzy needs replacing, but could comething like an ignitor also cause this?

timbo
9th October 2011, 11:24 AM
You have run a multimeter on the coil though haven't you?

Pull the dizzy apart and have a look through google for some rebuild photo's, maybe the problem is the crank angle sensor, who knows... Does sound frustrating though!

Bozu
10th October 2011, 01:52 PM
Could this have something to do with the knock sensor? Or does a 4age bigport not have one?

timbo
10th October 2011, 04:44 PM
Bigports do not have a knock sensor.

jaydos
11th October 2011, 12:26 PM
Well i havent got around to getting a dizzy as of yet and im just trying to live with it (unemployed :|) but lately when it hits 2000 revs when slwoing down it dies down and then does one really loud backfire and stalls. Ahh so frustrating could a coil cause this? because i think my coil may possibly be out aswell

jaydos
11th October 2011, 03:18 PM
I just checked my dizzy, i seem to have a bit of play within the shaft itself could this even be the problem?

timbo
11th October 2011, 04:46 PM
how much is a bit? mines moves a little.

jaydos
11th October 2011, 05:07 PM
When its inserted into the engine it has a fair bit of play and when removed it gear itself moved on the shaft

jaydos
12th October 2011, 09:34 AM
Its really never ending, i changed the pin over in the gear and insrted it again and now im getting not spark arghhh