PDA

View Full Version : 4agte Sumps

DR86FT
18th December 2011, 11:19 AM
Do you need more capacity in your sump for a 4agte engine?

Matt
18th December 2011, 11:33 AM
I used a standard sump, you've just got to make sure the return line is large and high enough...

DR86FT
18th December 2011, 03:06 PM
I used a standard sump, you've just got to make sure the return line is large and high enough...

im currently using a 4afe sump with the oil cooler setup. so i just mount the oil return high as possible on the sump and the same diameter of pipe that comes off the turbo?

So is there any need for more capacity?

dtour
18th December 2011, 04:14 PM
Nope

DR86FT
18th December 2011, 04:43 PM
thanks guys so what about breathers for the cam covers? I was thinking of drilling and tapping the baffled cam cover , over the existing baffle with two big brass fittings to save tigging ang stuffing around with baffles.

i dont know if you would need a breather on both covers ony because the both sides are joined by 3 or more breathing galleries inside the head..
heres an example pic, edited a pic i found on google

Sam-Q
18th December 2011, 05:09 PM
some people run two of the covers with the oil filling point as then they have two breathers

DR86FT
18th December 2011, 05:21 PM
some people run two of the covers with the oil filling point as then they have two breathers

then my cop adapter wont bolt down correctly and there will be extra holes next to the exhaust lol

maxhag
19th December 2011, 02:48 AM
No, you dont need a 'more capacity sump' if you are running a 4agte, BUT, you do need to use more oil in the engine if running oil coolers. To give some perspective, just think how much oil, the oil cooler and lines are holding, as well as the turbo + lines, and put that much extra in when doing oil changes/fills.

My sump, has the oil return line put in as high as possible, and the return line is the same diameter from the turbo, as mentioned above.

Re; duel breather cam covers: I have the 2 'filler/breather' covers on my 4agte, but not for any mechanical benefit. I actually have one blocked off. Reason why? Pretty simple, being now a turbo motor, I didn't want the cover to say 'supercharger' on it. I cant see any real benefit on having 2 breathers, unless its a massively built motor.