PDA

View Full Version : smallport head onto bigport 7 rib block

dove grey 64
29th December 2011, 07:55 PM
just wondering for future reference, if the head shit itself in my red top 7 rib bigport motor could i fit a smallport head and in essence change my motor into a smallport? i know the redtop is pretty much the same crank size etc bar oil squirters for the pistons.
cheers

timbo
29th December 2011, 08:42 PM
The block won't have an oil return bung on the back intake side. You could just block the one on the smallport head off or route a line to the sump.

marvis
29th December 2011, 09:06 PM
What he said.

Hen may possibly be a nut
29th December 2011, 09:12 PM
You also have to think about your intake manifold (and fuel rail). You'll either need a T3 (or other) bigport to smallport converter, a cut and shut smallport manifold, or some other form of creativity. Your fuel rail also has to match your intake manifold (they have different injector spacing).

timbo
29th December 2011, 10:50 PM
^Indeed.

Just get your local AE86DC TIG master (DannyT in my case) to do this:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/3/1/1/3/190056.jpg

dove grey 64
29th December 2011, 11:59 PM
You also have to think about your intake manifold (and fuel rail). You'll either need a T3 (or other) bigport to smallport converter, a cut and shut smallport manifold, or some other form of creativity. Your fuel rail also has to match your intake manifold (they have different injector spacing).
so quickest way around it is bigport to smallport adapter. cheers for the info peeps, did a few searches but couldn't find the info i needed

Matt
30th December 2011, 08:05 PM
The block won't have an oil return bung on the back intake side. You could just block the one on the smallport head off or route a line to the sump.

Do the latter otherwise you can end up with oil pooling in the head giving some not so nice results.

timbo
30th December 2011, 08:55 PM
Yesm, Toyota racing teams did this with bigport heads, it is a good idea.

Golberg
2nd January 2012, 08:31 AM
^Indeed.

Just get your local AE86DC TIG master (DannyT in my case) to do this:
[/IMG]

Damn, I've seen lots of these done, but that is definitely the nicest job I've ever seen.

timbo
2nd January 2012, 03:47 PM
Yeah, the man is an amazing welder. This is the back:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/3/1/1/3/190060.jpg

Golberg
2nd January 2012, 08:06 PM
Work of art that.