PDA

View Full Version : AE82 4AGE (small port) rev cutting and stopping

that_guy_93
18th February 2012, 06:55 PM
Car model: AE82 (1986)

Engine type:4AGE (16V small port)

Problem: Gave it a rev and the check engine light comes on and starts to cut the revs till it dies (sounds kind of like a rev limitter, but it cutting the revs by about 1k rpm till it stops)

Iv just took the engine out and replaced all the gaskets, put it back in. it was running really rough and took ages to turn over (timing is pretty spot on and starts a little better since then)

So pretty much when ever i rev or put the engine under load (moving the car) it stalls (i am able to build up the revs very slowly)

Please help, really need it. Thanks

Matt
18th February 2012, 08:12 PM
Find out what the code is by running a diag check and it'll tell you what sensor is playing up. Otherwise, double check your earth wires are all connected and tight... I've seen this in FWD format being the problem more times than i've had hot dinners.

You aren't running open headers either are you?

that_guy_93
18th February 2012, 10:56 PM
ok, Thanks.. not running open headers or anything, will check the earths nd do the diag check tomorrow and let you know how it goes

that_guy_93
19th February 2012, 02:57 PM
ok so i when to start it today and nothing.. wouldnt turn over and didnt sound like it wanted to even try. so i cant run the diag.. i tested all the leads the coil and distributor. i have the full 4a engine manual. but i cant find any diagrams.

that_guy_93
21st February 2012, 06:17 PM
:\ Solved it.. took the hole loom out and tested it. then i relised there was a hidden ground on one of the covers i hadnt bolted down..

Matt
22nd February 2012, 07:46 AM
That hidden ground the the lifeline of all 4ag engines. Glad you got it sorted