PDA

View Full Version : AE86 convert ADM speedo cluster to JDM

LEVIN86
16th April 2012, 01:55 AM
Hey Guys,

So i picked up a JDM whiteline pattern Speedo Cluster and want to get it running in my ADM AE86. I did a test fit/run and just from quick look it seemed like my fuel gauge was not working and possible other things...never got a chance to check it properly. The RPMs was working fine so thats a plus.

Now from looking around ive seen some articles of people who have gone from the USDM to JDM or a Analogue to Digital. Ive found the ADM wiring diagram and just wondering if anyone has a JDM pin out diagram? I found an old thread on another site with a guy listing out the JDM pin out but just want to confirm if this is right.

__________________________________________________ ____________

[COPIED FROM ANOTHER SITE]

well here is the line up for the JDM ONE from plug one to plug two ok...

the only diagram I have that's official is the one I sent before, I'm sending it again as an attachment. The way I did it was, place both clusters next to each other and match the wiring from both of the printed boards on the back. I have the harness from my cluster, most of the wires match, but some I had to reuse from another harness so the color won't match. The harness is as follows:
the left harness under the speedometer(white)from left to right (1-14):
1-Green/Black -turn signal
2-Green/ Yellow(thick)- turn signal
3-Yellow/ Red - FU (fuel sender unit)
4-Red/ Black- E brake
5-Red-exhaust temp warning
6-Red/ Green- door
7-Brown- "lead" (written in Japanese)
8-Red/ White- door
9-Yellow/ Green- low fuel light
10- Blue/ White- 'E'
11-empty
12-empty
13-Green/yellow(thin)- Chime output
14-empty

Second harness Blue, under the tachometer:
1-Black/Orange- IG+ (ignition Positive)
2-White/ Black- IG - (ignition Negative)
3-Red/ Blue- (diode Connection for charge lamp)
4-Yellow- secondary connection for charge lamp
5-Black- "E' and High beam light
6-Red/Green- second high beam power connection
7-empty
8-Brown- check engine light
9-Yellow/black- Oil pressure sending unit
10-( I don't have a wire for it yet)- rear lights warning lamp
11-Yellow/ Green- temp sender
12-Brown-"E"
13-Black- Illumination
14-Green- Ilumination

Try these connections. The cluster is already marked on the back what each pin does so techically Toyota put a diagram on it. I can't find the paper I wrote the wiring on so I read the back of my cluster and pulled this info off of it just now. It should be easy sailing from here. Let me know if you run into any problems. Thanks

__________________________________________________ ____________

From looking at the AE86 Body Electrical Diagram (found this pinout which is the RHD version) it almost looks like its exactly the same as the ADM one, unless the source i found above was wrong:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/6/319885.jpg

I still need to look around but just thought if anyone else has done this before and maybe it would save me some time XD

Cheers
Nam

dan.91
16th April 2012, 08:34 AM
i reckon Daniel garage could get that working lmao. ill ask my dad

LEVIN86
16th April 2012, 08:51 AM
Haha ur dad is BOSS!!

I just need to find the wiring diagrams to confirm the pin outs...don't know if I can trust something entirely without seeing a picture. I remember seeing diagrams of Saudi Arabia and ither countries...need to look again for this JDM section

BlueLevin
16th April 2012, 09:45 AM
Hey nam, I put a whiteline cluster in my adm sprinter, everything worked fine :/ fuel level, temp, speed, rpm and even jap warning for handbrake on, brake fluid warning lights also been on.

Rice86
16th April 2012, 10:32 AM
yup, should work plug and play unless its digital dash..thats different

sounds like your gauges on the cluster is broken.. you can just try to swap the gauges around with a working one or just swap the whiteline background into your ADM one..or just buy another JDM one with everything working

BlueLevin
16th April 2012, 11:02 AM
You can swap the circuit sheet thing from the two cause that might be damaged on the jdm one, easiest fix out of your options

LEVIN86
16th April 2012, 02:23 PM
Yeh I'll see if I can swap over the fuel gauge and hope that's it...I don't want to buy another one :(

hachirusto
16th April 2012, 03:55 PM
I put mine straight in and it work only thing you will need to is run a wire from the ECU to the warning lamp so that that will work.

Other thing is that instead of the hand brake light coming up my cat light above it comes up.

BlueLevin
16th April 2012, 04:00 PM
Take the jdm background off and swap it onto the adm one? Pretty sure they are removable

LEVIN86
16th April 2012, 09:24 PM
so ive swapped the fuel gauge over from my adm one to the jdm one...seems like it wasnt working! i have another spare adm cluster to test the fuel gauge and if thats not going to fix it then i deem the cluster faulty =(

guess if all else fails then ill just have to swap over the whiteline face to the adm cluster. only down fall is that i lose the extra three cluster lights on the top right [LIGHTS > ENGINE LIGHT > REAR LIGHTS] but i guess ill just have to live with it for a bit of jdm goodness.

ALSO, i got a jdm chime not wired up and want to see if it works too...any chance any one would know if i could run a wire from the chime to its pin out location? will the adm cluster detect it? or do i need to run the jdm cluster for it to work. i know heaps of people take it out cause they say its annoying but i dont care =P

BlueLevin
16th April 2012, 09:47 PM
I think the chime is wired into the jdm body loom as there's no wiring in ours for it.

Look at the back of your clusters, the green sheet circuit board thing, swap them over as the jdm one may be faulty

LEVIN86
16th April 2012, 10:04 PM
Maybe theres an issue with the JDM green sheet circuit board in relation to the fuel gauge. its getting too late to work on it so ill play with it tomorrow again

LEVIN86
17th April 2012, 07:49 PM
Well tried the jdm fuel gauge in my adm cluster and i was getting fuel reading, tried my bro's stock adm cluster and i was getting fuel reading...tried the jdm cluster with the adm fuel gauge and no fuel reading. I guess its the circuit board which is fault and not having any fuel readings. Time to swap over the faces to my ADM =P

dove grey 64
17th April 2012, 10:26 PM
take pics and do a write up, or mybe just try swapping the green circuit thing like people are saying?

LEVIN86
18th April 2012, 07:19 PM
So heres a little interesting note i found on my adventures swapping adm to jdm stuff...so yesterday i swapped over the jdm face and needles from the jdm cluster to the adm one. When i went to test it to see if everything was working i noticed my RPM's were inaccurate (on idle it read 400 while on my hand controller it said bout 800-900). When i reved it to bout 5000 on the cluster, my hand controller read that my max rev was only bout 4300.

The problem is now solved!! Apparently the jdm needle is a bit heavier than the adm one so it was giving inaccurate readings. I swapped in the adm needle and problem solved. I guess ill try swapping the actual jdm rpm motor device into the adm one see what happens.

...that is all =P

tuned86
22nd April 2012, 11:02 PM
good work.

I've put a JDM cluster in and worked fine for rpm in terms of accuracy. Was yours a dud? the RPM needle + circuitry would be an whole system.

LittleRedSpirit
19th November 2017, 12:56 PM
Hi guys,

I made a hybrid adm jdm kouki cluster, and have one curious thing. I used adm outer frame, jdm plastic green printed circuit, jdm speedo odo fuel temp and oil gauges. All works except fuel light stays on all the time, and i have the heavy needle issue described above. Very similar to whats described, tacho reading 800 when warming up at 1450 rpm actual. I can adjust my tacho to read better as I fitted a variable resistor when i did the mod so I had adjustment. The heavy needle makes it smoother. Not worried about that, but why on earth would the fuel light stay on? I might just swap it back to the adm plastic printed circuit. Thats about all I can think of that might interfere. I noticed one difference between them. There's a resistor thats not on the jdm one thats on the adm one. Maybe I need the resistor?

LittleRedSpirit
19th November 2017, 03:13 PM
Ok, variable resistor could not overcome the needle weight, so I installed aussie needle, and now the tacho is good. Had a few issues where the fuel light stayed on but it was just the bulb in backwards. Noticed slight differences in the green printed circuits. Printing much the same but the kouki odometer has an extra screw in it from the circuits. Also there's an extra resistor on one circuit, where its completely missing on adm.

So I ended up with:
ADM ODOMETER and speedo
JDM fuel gauge
JDM OIL and Water
ADM Tacho
Just used the green printed circuit that matches the odometer.

Fuel gauge didn't work at all with the wrong green printed circuit installed, and it meant I couldn't use the 148k odometer and am stuck using the 356k one from adm with the kouki face panels installed.

There must be a slight difference in body wiring between kouki and adm as neither adm or jdm gauge worked unless the green printed backing had the resistor in place.

I highly recommend installing a variable resistor on the tacho board and then you can install it with the plastic cover and speedo gauges removed, and adjust the resistor with car running to save hours of trial and error adjusting it, refitting it and putting it all back multiple times.