PDA

View Full Version : Smallport 4age rebuild

Ktas
18th April 2012, 11:32 PM
hi,

im in SA

anyone know of anywhere worth taking my smallport 4age to get rings and bearings done?

obviously going to need to get the block honed, so thought i might get the head shaved at the same time

want to get the valve stem seals done aswell, would that require getting the buckets and cams re-clearanced, or would just numbering them and putting everything back where it belongs work

oh and if anyone has an idea of rough pricing for the above aswell that would be great!

cheers

cae-086
19th April 2012, 12:30 PM
G'day, had similar work done to my smallport before i re-assembled engine myself

-Hot tank clean block, crank, pistons/rods
-Block hone and surface
-Clean & crack test head, clean & machine valves & seats, fit new valve stem seals, re-assemble valves & buckets, surface face, and check & reset valve clearances
-Supply new rings & bearings and full gasket set

Cost close to 2grand, and i still had to assemble bottom end myself.

Hope this gives you an idea of what you are up for, but well worth it I think, hands down heaps more power than my brothers shagged smallport had!!

slide86
19th April 2012, 12:57 PM
go to http://www.lewisengines.com.au/

send him and email and tell him "Huw sent me"

he does all my engine and head work, just look at his website to start with.....he doesnt mess about

edit, that price given above is pretty good.....

Ktas
19th April 2012, 02:11 PM
does anyone know if smallport and bigport use the same rings and bearings?

slide86
19th April 2012, 02:48 PM
main bearings between the two would be different due to the 40 and 42mm cranks.

rings *should* be the same, however the piston ring groove might have been modified by toyota between the two. the bore diameter should be the same

AJPS
19th April 2012, 02:54 PM
just order parts for a ae93sx

Ktas
19th April 2012, 07:52 PM
cheers guys, gonna be sending the motor out to get it rebuilt, just wanna supply the parts to keep the cost lower ;)

AJPS
19th April 2012, 08:32 PM
just buy a beams instead of spending 2k on a 4age haha

timbo
19th April 2012, 09:00 PM
Rebuild it yourself, it is really a piece of piss. I just got a engine re conditioner to clean the block and face the head. I think the rebuild cost me $500-$600 with ARP head studs and a TRD head gasket.

dying3k
19th April 2012, 09:08 PM
2ish grand got me, head full serviced(crack tested, shaved, clearances done) put bigport cams in(smallport head), 7a block bore and hone, crank ground, VRS kit, wiseco pistons, J-works Rods, ARP race bearings, arp studs mains and head, arp 2000 bolts for rods, HKS cam gears

Ktas
20th April 2012, 01:39 AM
whats the advantage of bigport cams in a smallport? and is it just a straight swap?

AJPS
20th April 2012, 02:05 AM
unless you get them for next to free get something more aggressive

ae86 slide
20th April 2012, 08:01 AM
bigport cams have a tiny bit more duration and lift. I got a set for next to nothing so I put them in my smallport whilst doing a re-build.

dying3k
20th April 2012, 08:11 AM
yea, i cooked my big port and decided to go small port, so the cams cost nothing for a little gian, so why not

Ktas
20th April 2012, 01:46 PM
no worries, yeh i have a complete bigport in pieces from my old sprinter, so ill chuck the cams in ;)

and AJPS, im pretty sure to convert to beams would cost me a hell of alot more than 2k...am considering doing it later down the track though