PDA

View Full Version : Steering Rack Woes

hao.
5th June 2009, 07:37 PM
Hi guys,

My steering column / rack decided to give up on life this afternoon as I was driving home from uni. The column has pretty much popped out of the steering rack.

Let my photo / illustration show you how.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/3/9/0/15606.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/3/9/0/15607.jpg

Basically the steering rack has always made small clunking/crunching noises since I bought the car two years ago. (like it's skipping teeth or something). This only happened when I was steering at low speeds. There was also a bit of play in the steering, like 3cm rotation on the steering wheel. I didn't think much of this problem 'cos it didn't get any more worse than it was, plus, I've given the steering a hiding at the track a couple of times now and until now nothing has gone wrong.

My question is, from the above photo can anyone tell me if it's worth fixing / reconditioning or should I source a good condition 2nd hand steering rack? Which one is more viable\time efficient for a poor-arse uni student like me? I need to get the car back on the road asap 'cos it's my main mode of transport.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Intense
5th June 2009, 07:46 PM
Grab a 2nd hand one from the wreckers. Mine cost me $80 and to my luck it had been rebuilt recently as well. They're not that hard to swap in and out either.

hao.
5th June 2009, 08:02 PM
What rack did you get? Another AE86 one or an exact equivalent that is more common?

Intense
5th June 2009, 10:13 PM
I just got an ae86 one. Pretty sure you can use a ke70 one but they don't provide as much lock. Just measure the rack width up and check to see where the mounts go, should be able to use anything that uses a rwd A series crossmember as far as rack mounts go, so AE71 should be useable as well I guess

shift_rook
5th June 2009, 10:22 PM
hao i've gotr a sapre 86 rack, $80 plus post, sprayed 2 pac black, let me know if you want it

Oly AE86
6th June 2009, 01:03 PM
Going by the manual and from when I recoed my rack, either the housing or locking nut must have damaged thread from being loose. When you rotated different directions the pinion must have been travelling up and down wearing it further.

You can get reco exhange rack for about $350 I think from the like of TBS, but dunno if they would take rack with that sort of damage,

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/5236/rackv.jpg

Just called Repco and they wanted $522 :O

I have my old one here in parts, but I think the rack is itself bent. Paying $80-120 for second hand item that feels smooth and not loose is probably best bet.

hao.
6th June 2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the help guys :)

I was looking at that exact diagram last night too Oly and I couldn't figure out what was what. lol. Thanks for clearing that up. I'll probably just buy Chris's rack.

shift_rook
6th June 2009, 01:45 PM
also another reack woe, where do i buy rebuild parts from? i'm buildin up my quaife rack but i want it as fresh as possible. anyone in vic know of a good place?

Oly AE86
6th June 2009, 02:31 PM
I rebuilt mine with parts from Toyota, most parts are unique particularly the bearings that are NSK special and had to come from Japan

Pinion Bearing - 90363-15003 $45 --- I used only one because bottom one was sweet

Rack Bush - 45522-1002 $51.60

Rack End Washer - 90214-14002 x2 $1.90

I bought generic boots from Repco because Toyota wanted $65!

NIZLAH
7th June 2009, 12:43 AM
I just had my rack rebuilt/refreshed with a quaife rack by Pedders and they fitted a new pinion bearing ($26 on receipt) and rack boots ($30), total was $156 to do the lot..