PDA

View Full Version : 4ac Modds....

luke641
9th June 2009, 08:11 PM
Hi guys im new here so take it easy on this question....

I heard that you can put a 4age head on a 4ac and it will increase the power of somthing rather.. I havnt heard of it befor this guy told me so im not sure its true...

So yer...

Cheerrs

Luke

mack 10
9th June 2009, 08:17 PM
dont waste your time

luke641
9th June 2009, 08:23 PM
dont waste your time

Im not saying i would do it...

Just want to see it is true?

shift_rook
9th June 2009, 08:25 PM
you can, it'll give you a comp ratio of around 6:1so it'd be shit, try searchin first dude

Golberg
9th June 2009, 08:42 PM
I don't know why this rumour is still out there, its the most stupid thing ever.

You have to go to the same level of trouble to put the head on the 4AC than what it would be to just put in a complete 4AGE if not even more.

Except the main advantage of putting a 4AGE head on a 4AC is that you get to waste a lot of time and end up with an absolute turd of a motor!

Axentrik
9th June 2009, 08:50 PM
so the blocks are the same, with different internals?

Golberg
9th June 2009, 09:25 PM
I'm reasonably sure that if you stripped it down to the bare block you'd find that a 4AC block is the same as a 1st gen big port(blue top).

I've been thinking of doing it on my very clean AE71, basically keeping the 4AC block (which has the original engine no. on it corresponding to the build plate) and basically stripping a 4AGE and swapping the 4AGE internals into the 4AC block.

biGtai
9th June 2009, 10:13 PM
does anyony once know the volumes of the 4ac? piston dome & combustion chamber?
the 4ac supposed factory compression ratio of 9.0:1?
i highly doubt it would be 6:1 with a 4ag head.
on the topic, does anyone know if the 4ac crank timing belt pulley is the same as a 16v 4age?

Konakid
9th June 2009, 10:51 PM
4age's are 1000 bucks save your money and buy one.

sun_moon
9th June 2009, 10:55 PM
no compression and also piss weak internals.... not cool.

a stock bigport 4age are slow enough, so imagine one with 6:1 compression LOL !!

focus_7
9th June 2009, 11:09 PM
I'm reasonably sure that if you stripped it down to the bare block you'd find that a 4AC block is the same as a 1st gen big port(blue top).

I've been thinking of doing it on my very clean AE71, basically keeping the 4AC block (which has the original engine no. on it corresponding to the build plate) and basically stripping a 4AGE and swapping the 4AGE internals into the 4AC block.

So if you use the bare block, with original engine number alot less hassle from the RTA yeah?

Golberg
9th June 2009, 11:38 PM
So if you use the bare block, with original engine number alot less hassle from the RTA yeah?

Its a grey area, but yeah, theoretically you shouldn't need to even have an inspection done. The job would no longer be classed as an engine conversion either, simply a modification to the original engine.

I don't know the rules of modified engines, but seeing as you can get 16v 4AGE's blue slipped straight onto the rego then I think you'd be pretty safe.

I guess I look at it all from 3 different perspectives:
1. What the RTA will pass as legit and their specific requirements
2. What police will defect you for
3. What is the legal implications of specific mods in the event that you crash

1. Its pretty easy to get most things through the RTA so long as you do a good job. Its possible to get 16v 4AGE's in legally without engineering, but its up to the inspector's pickiness. But if you did a neat job of it, most inspectors probably wouldn't even know its a different engine, they'd just write the number down and away you go.

2. Police can defect you for anything, engineered or not. If anything looks sus then they'll hit you for it. Do a clean neat job and they'll never bat an eyelid, especially if you've used the factory block too.

3. Well in most instances swapping a 4AGE in isn't going to make your car any less safe. But if you do get done driving stupidly and accidentally hit a pedestrian then be prepared to suffer.

Sorry for the long post, its just something I've spent a long time getting my head around and the system is very vague with what you can an cant do. So it will probably be useful to those who do this sorta stuff in NSW.

And one final thing I have concluded, if do so much as change anything from standard on you car and don't have it engineered then officially its illegal. In saying that, its fairly recognised that that idea is pretty anal and most institutions don't follow it.

Konakid
9th June 2009, 11:41 PM
*Facepalm*

Javal
10th June 2009, 12:01 AM
*Facepalm*

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/4/3/16060.jpg

luke641
10th June 2009, 04:53 PM
Wow....

Just for the record i wouldnt do this conversion just was wondering if its actully possible....

If i was to go for a power gain ild go the conversion

rthy
10th June 2009, 08:51 PM
anything is possible...

id do the conversion just to cheeze ppl off lolz

Dylan
10th June 2009, 09:22 PM
refer to this site for 4ac mods

http://4ac-powered.forumotion.com/