PDA

View Full Version : Import questions

gone0-60mph
17th October 2012, 08:19 AM
Morning People,

With the lack of JDM AE86'S for sale at any sort of a reasonable price I have been thinking about importing. Can anyone shed some light as to exactly the costs, quarintine, registering process etc. I am just looking for info from when the car arrives in Australia. I have the whole shipping process and car purchase covered. Thanks in advance.

Matt
17th October 2012, 08:48 AM
Add at least 5-7k for expenses... There are companies out there who will import them for you justjdm etc.

Its not unreasonable to expect it to owe you at least 10-12k or more by the time you land it.

gone0-60mph
17th October 2012, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the quick reply mate. Any idea of the breakdown of cost?

hayashi
17th October 2012, 11:56 AM
These were my costs about 6 years ago, so prices may have gone up/down depending on the market value. Prices are in AUD. I used J-spec imports.

Cost of car: ~$9000
For a car with minimal rust, expect to pay at least this much. For pristine condition cars, they're around the 13 to 20k mark. In retrospect, I should have saved up a bit more to get a car with less rust. Bear in mind engine condition as well, most 86's have been thrashed if they've been alive this long.

Cost of shipping: ~$4000
There are 3 costs associated here. There's a base charge that's calculated on the volume & weight of the car, and a percentage of how much you bought the car for. You will also be charged import duties & quarrantine charges when the car lands at the dock, which will also include degassing of A/C units if your car is equipped with one.

Cost of compliance: ~$1000-$2000
You won't need to un-modify any mods because of the 15yr import rule, but you will need to add safety features such as pretensioning seatbelts for front & rear seats, parker lights etc. How many features that must be added will be dependent on your state's rules. Seatbelts are the killer here, because JDM 86's came with no pretensioners, and only lap sash belts in the rear. Expect to have some parts of your interior panels cut to make the rear belts fit. grrrrr!

Cost of registration: ~$1000-$2000
There's the cost of registration, but to get there you need to have the car in a roadworthy condition. This is usually seperate to compliancing, cause they only give you an engineers report, not a roadworthy. Some of the roadblocks in obtaining a roadworthy are:
Ride height of car, suspension not working, fluid leaks, exhaust noise, excessive rust etc. This will be heavily dependent on how strict your state's rules are, and how strict the mechanic you go to is with their roadworthys.

gone0-60mph
17th October 2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks for that very helpful reply hayashi!! I have imported cars to Ireland before so I know the costs of buying and shipping etc. Pretty sure from my contact in Japan that I could have a decent ae86 bought an shipped to Australia for a lot less than 13k. I was just unsure as to what other charges there may be once the car arrives in Oz. For instance when it arrives at the port do I have to pay port fees, quarentine etc etc.... I highly doubt I can just rock up an collect the car? Who would I have to get to comply the car? Rwc and rego I understand what has to be done. As a person with no import licence can I just purchase a car in Japan and have my contact ship it to Melbourne and go from there or do I have to go through some of the importers? Once again thanks for the help.

hayashi
17th October 2012, 03:36 PM
You need to share the love & hook me up with this contact! Where were you 6 years ago???

Yes, you will have to pay for port & quarrantine, import tax etc. You will also be charged for de-gassing the A/C if your car has it. I forgot to mention that, sorry.

With the paper work, you can infact just rock up & collect it, and drive it home provided you have a temporary road registration. That's how I drove my car around while trying to get things sorted at different workshops. For convinience sake, I had my car transported to my residence via truck.

There are various compliance workshops here. A Google search should help you locate one closer to your area. I'll update this post with the one I used, I can't remember the name, I'll have to dig up the paperwork when I get home.

You can DIY import, it just means you have to organise everything yourself, which will be easier for you since you have a contact in Japan. Going through an importer just reduces the amount of work you have to do yourself, for a small fee.
http://www.raws.com.au/ImportPurchase.asp#DIY
Give that a read, it has some good info on DIY'ing.

gone0-60mph
17th October 2012, 04:45 PM
Once again.... Thanks for the help! http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Titan-Autoworks-Japan/283601278897?fref=ts This is the man in Japan! Very helpful ! Looks like an ae86 is definitely the way to go due to being easier to getting it complied. Can you remember how much the compliance cost you? Who decides how much the import duty and gst is? Obviously depending on the value of the car but who values it?

john84ie
17th October 2012, 05:18 PM
I don't think you would get one on the roa here for any less than 12k if ya got a car at a ok price. It would be a load of hastle and dicking around. You would buy one here for 9-12 easily and would be so much handier. Plus you can inspect the car before you buy. Anyone I've talked to who has imported here said you wouldn't have any change out of 15k

hayashi
17th October 2012, 10:16 PM
Sorry, bad news, I couldn't find the name in my documents. I was pretty sure it was Lena Engineering, but that shows up at a completely different address in Google, unless they've moved.

Compliancing costs were listed in my breakdown. The seatbelts & parking lights were the only things they needed to change, and a small hole welded shut in the floor. If the car your importing has alot of extreme mods, eg. rollcage, aftermarket brakes, it will take alot longer to compliance as they have to run tests to prove on the engineering report that these items meet safety standards. This extra work would obviously incur extra costs.

The cost of the car will determine the import duties. The value is however much you paid for it. When you buy a car, there will be documents pertaining to the amount paid, and other registration details. These documents are used by customs to calculate the tax.

Matt & john84ie are right when it comes to total cost. Using J-spec, the amount I paid to them was very minimal in the grand scheme of things. Even if you decide to DIY with the help of your JP contact, I would leave a buffer stock of cash for any hidden costs that might arise. Contingencies for contingencies. Also, make sure you get your contact to go over it with a fine tooth comb when they're inspecting the car. It's very easy to miss something especially when you're not the one physically doing the inspecting.

Whatever decision you make, I wish you all the best, and hope you find the car you're looking for.

85Kai
17th October 2012, 11:14 PM
Here is a little something I wrote at the time I went through the compliance process of my car in June earlier this year. I don't think it's really possible to do it any cheaper than this as I had the advantage of friends who work in the industry helping me out. I also did as much work as I could once the car arrived in Australia and the fact that it was a pre-1986 model meant it didn't need things that later models would need. I also had the advantage of flying over to Japan in January and finding the right car to send back and after living in Japan for 6 years I can tell you there are plenty of shitbox 86s you don't want to purchase simply by judging the little pictures on the internet. A close inspection is a must to avoid a dud. I hope this helps:

The importing and compliance experience.
I noticed a thread asking about importing an AE86 from Japan. So to help anyone else out who might be thinking of this I thought I'd do a write up on the whole process from start to finish while I'm going through the compliance of my own car now. I'll cover the time frame, costs and what's involved (and what's not) to give people a clear idea on what to expect. I'll continue to update the thread as more information comes in.

The beginning.
Firstly, you need to find a car. This can be done several ways. There are plenty of brokers and importers to help you out here. In my case, I lived in Japan for many years and have friends in the import industry so I flew to Japan and sort out a car for myself. This way I could be sure of getting exactly what I wanted (plus I got to enjoy a trip to Japan). It's a win/win solution if you're wanting to buy a car and take a holiday at the same time.

Patience my Precious.
Importing your own car isn't something to do if you want to be driving it next week. I bought my car in January and it landed in my driveway in late June. That's longer than what it would normally take as I had my car rebuilt over in Japan. However, it still comes down to when the car gets onto the boat or when the container leaves. There's a lot of paperwork and waiting before and after the car loaded onto the boat. My car went into a container. Expect to wait 3 to 4 months before you can touch your car. During this time you'll have to apply for your Import Approval. It took my paperwork about 3 weeks to get processed. My paperwork didn't get sent until about 2 weeks from when the container was due to arrive in Australia so car had actually arrived before I'd received my paperwork so my car was stuck in storage in Australia for about a week.

Compliance.
This is something that can cost you a lot if you're not careful. I shopped around and found most people were quoting $800+ just for the plate. Then add the cost of parts and labour onto that. I've found one guy here in Brisbane who quoted somewhere between $500-$800 over the phone and went with him because he actually came to my place to do the initial inspection and will come back in a few days to fit the plate once the work is done. This saved me on extra towing costs. The initial inspection was yesterday and here is a list of what needs to be done for my car to be complied:

New seatbelts front and rear.
Child restraint anchor points.
Rewiring of my front indicator lights and clear parker lenses.
Fit a tyre placard.
Replace blown bulb in number plate surround.

That's it!

Because my car is a 1985 model it's pre-emissions and doesn't need side intrusion bars. So I saved money in those areas. It also helps that my car is a very clean example and I'd already had all the fluids changed before the inspection. My brakes had been rebuilt in Japan and the old brake lines had been replaced with the ADR approved ones. These maybe an extra cost on other cars though. The compliance process started on Monday and I hope to be driving my car on Friday.

The costs:
Import Approval Application fee: $50
FOB (freight on board) costs: $530
Shipping fees: $1200
Taxes: $720
Towing from customs storage to my house: $60
Compliance plate fee: $726
Safety Certificate: $66
Seatbelts: $480.60 (that's new front and rear belts plus child restraint anchors and all other fittings)

The cost before registration and insurance: $3832.60 plus the cost of the car.

Insurance: $649.37 (comprehensive insurance with Shannons)

I'm yet to get my air con regassed in Australia ($130). That gets done this Friday as it's getting hot here in Brissy. All up, I'm still looking at a bill of around $13,000-$14,000 from memory. For me the wait was worth it because I now own a very nice, unique example. However, I can't really see a decent JDM 86 being registered in Oz for $9k. In my opinion only do it if you're after something unique. I originally hoped to pick up a nice JDM KE70 or AA63 Carina but had bad timing. If you're just after an 86 to slide then it's quicker, easier and around the same price to get something already here.

gone0-60mph
18th October 2012, 08:18 AM
Huge thanks to everyone who replied. I think your helpful replies answers all my questions and I will not be going down the importing road now. Will just keep an eye out for something moderatey priced already on Australian shores. Thanks Again!

dove grey 64
9th November 2012, 07:36 AM
[QUOTE=85Kai;897999]Insurance: $649.37 (comprehensive insurance with Shannons)

QUOTE]

insurance $649.37? thats pretty good. mine is $1200 for an agreed value of 12k with shannons. daily use. and im 29 yrs old with no priors and live in a low risk area

85Kai
9th November 2012, 07:28 PM
Damn! That's almost double the amount of mine for the same value. I'm 35 years old though and I live in sunny Qld, perhaps Melbourne is significantly dearer. It's been years since I lived there. I also have another car and my home and contents with Shannons and my car isn't modded up to the hilt.

dolsonlelan
7th July 2020, 12:56 PM
The customs tax will be calculated based on cost, insurance and freight. If cost mentioned by you is 0 or even less then actual value of goods, custom will do its own valuation, based on the defined costs of similar goods. Custom inspector always have right to change the value if he has any doubt on value. And duty will be calculated on valuation done by custom inspector. I suspect it'll be not more than 10k including the taxes and freight. I suggest ACC customs broker (https://aucustomsclearance.com.au/customs-broker-perth) in Perth to help you with that.