PDA

View Full Version : mx62 cressida E series diff experiences/power handling

cooter
1st May 2013, 11:34 PM
hey all
after a bit of stuffing around and searching i think i have come across that i have an E series diff in my possesion (not an F series like first thought)

im chasing peoples thoughts and experiences on these diffs concerning thier ability to handle power/abuse etc.

the diff is to go behind a basic s14 SR20 in a ke70 and will be used for drifting. im not running huge or super wide tyres. im just a lil worried it might not hold up for very long but wanted to know if anyone else has any experience with using one.

any help would be greatly appreciated
cheers
craig

PS: i know u cant get any lsds for them

AJPS
2nd May 2013, 12:24 AM
it will be fine

maxhag
2nd May 2013, 12:33 AM
My experience with E series diffs is not that great...
I own a MX22 Mk2 Corona (2 door Hardtop) that has a E series diff........
I originally bought the car off a granny...... Within 8 months, the diff was very clunky, only powered by the old 2M motor (2.3L 6cyl), and I wasn't treating it badly either.....
But in saying that, it was made in 1974......

Considering there are no LSDs, I wouldn't waste my time (and No, I dont weld diffs. Welded diffs handle like shit)

AJPS
2nd May 2013, 12:40 AM
Welded diffs handle like shit

True - but if you are just drifting at a track, the $$ saved is substantial for something your can drive around

having said that i definitely FAR prefer LSD and would avoid going back to locker at all costs haha

cooter
2nd May 2013, 01:29 AM
haha yeah i deffs hate lockers, after going lsd in the 86 ive never looked back but this diff came in the car so if i dont have to scrap it i wont. but if its gonna blow in 2 track days ill be on the look out for summin else

LittleRedSpirit
4th May 2013, 11:12 AM
Sounds like your issue is one of using worn out old parts that arent acquitting themselves well.

I personally feel parts of this era were made well and are generally very good to use if found in good condition.

I guess it depends a lot more on how the car was treated over the last 40 years than it does on what series of diff it is.

I was lucky enough to get an f series from an mx13 that had everything in very good order, I even re-used the 3.9 gears from the original diff. I think if you put some maintenance into it, you would be fine. Realistically if its track only then you could have a diff shop fit a spool quite cheaply and fix up any slop in the centre while your at it.

maxhag
4th May 2013, 06:20 PM
Um, I dont quite know how to say this after my last statement,
But, (hahaha)

I just picked up a complete E series, welded centre, and in leaf form, for pretty much nothing.... ;)

Came out of a KE30, and I've measured the leaf mount spacing and its the same as a AE71/KE70...... Since it's a 7.1" diff, the centre should be strong enough, but they have pretty small axles for their size. They only have 25mm axles (Like a kouki T series)...... I

I am going to put this into my panelvan, and see how it goes, for a uber cheap diff solution.

cooter
4th May 2013, 11:17 PM
Just to clarify I got this diff already converted to ke70 in the car I got the sr20 conversion out of. The diffs been given a reasonable hammering for the last few years behind the sr and seems to be holding well. I was more just curious of what sort of power/driving they can withstand before breaking things. Not overly fussed if its whiney or loose. As long as it doesn't go bang for a while. You could have an immaculate T series and a thrashed G series, the g series will still take more abuse.

Ill definitely be on the lookout for an F series though because I want LSD but untill then I'm happy too see how far the E series can take me.
Cheers for your input but, muchly appreciated.
I also started this thread for people's future experiences with E series because through all my searching I couldn't find much about their strengths/weaknesses. (Probably due to the fact everyone jumps straight to the F series)

and jojo I look forward to seeing how yours goes handling your 4agte. Post it in here once it's done and hopefully we can get some idea about their longevity.

cheers
craig

maxhag
4th May 2013, 11:46 PM
Yep, no worries.... I still plan to get a F or G series, but its not happening as quick as i'd hoped, so the welded E series will do for the time being. It has to be better than using a stock diff anyway...... I will give it a good test and report back ;)

From what I've read, the axles break before the actual centre.....

cooter
5th May 2013, 12:19 AM
" It has to be better than using a stock diff "

exactly

And ill be on the lookout for 5th gear burnouts and crappy handling should an axle snap hahaha

sam92
5th May 2013, 01:16 AM
Is there actually a noticeable difference in handling between having a locker and a decent LSD? I wouldn't know as I have a welded diff and don't know any different. I'm want to go f series eventually and will probably get a LSD because my car is a street car and the locker is annoying at times.

maxhag
5th May 2013, 01:18 AM
Yeah, but if it was costing time and money, I wouldn't have put any time into it. I got it for $50, ready to bolt in..... The guy was upgrading to a F series LSD......

cooter
5th May 2013, 10:54 AM
Yea I wouldn't have gone to the effort of getting someone to convert it. I actually originally thought the car was coming with an F series that's why I bought it but the found out the year of diff donor and turns out its E

Sam92....
yes there is a great deal of difference between a welded diff and a good LSD. An LSD will unlock itself when you are casually turning a corner or parking in carparks making the car behave a lot more predictably and easily. If your car sees hard driving you won't get that all or nothing effect like the welded. Where u have to be on gas all the time or it will grip and under steer or worse will just break traction completely and spin the car right around. This is not fun at speeds.

sam92
5th May 2013, 11:17 AM
Sam92....
yes there is a great deal of difference between a welded diff and a good LSD. An LSD will unlock itself when you are casually turning a corner or parking in carparks making the car behave a lot more predictably and easily. If your car sees hard driving you won't get that all or nothing effect like the welded. Where u have to be on gas all the time or it will grip and under steer or worse will just break traction completely and spin the car right around. This is not fun at speeds.[/QUOTE]

Cheers for the info!
Obviously I know what it is like to drive with casually and in carparks but I always assumed they did the same job whilst up it as a LSD locks under load. But as you said and it makes sense when you back off through a hard corner the LSD will let go and let's the outside travel further again giving you max grip and stability. Correct me if I'm wrong

cooter
5th May 2013, 11:54 AM
Sounds about right to me

cooter
5th May 2013, 11:57 AM
Although if you back off too hard if its a 2 way it will lock under the decel force and make the rear slide. It has a much more predictable threshold than the welded though

sam92
5th May 2013, 12:05 PM
I've noticed the locker will do that when backing off too hard.Cheers for the info I will defiantly be considering an LSD with my next diff as i just have a stock borgy ATM behind an sr20de. It's not going to hold up forever. I have my first track day next week and will hopefully enter plenty more.

cooter
7th May 2013, 04:26 PM
No dramas, yea an LSD is deff the way to go. Good luck with ur first outing :-)

LittleRedSpirit
8th May 2013, 10:38 AM
LSD diffs are great. Awesome for weight reduction too. Your wallet will be much lighter...