PDA

View Full Version : Diff Queries

focus_7
5th March 2014, 03:33 PM
Hi all, my drivers side axle seal is shot and apparently the whole drum brake assembly is coated in Axle fluid which is hindering braking performance. It's an S-series Diff, so I am considering upgrading to a T-series LSD, (I've been quoted $1250 for a T-series Drum rear with LSD).

Just thinking about options at the moment, would it be a similar cost to replace the Axle seal, and what possible snags could I run into doing that. Additionally I was told I may have to replace the whole drum assembly because it may be too difficult to clean, how would I go about cleaning the drum and shoe.

Finally, is there anything additional that I must take into account when transplanting a JDM T-series beside the short tailshaft, are handbrake lines, suspension mounting points etc the same as the ADM S-Series.

dove grey 64
5th March 2014, 03:48 PM
Axle seals about $15 each. X2
Drum shoes about $50 a set, need to change if coated in diff oil.
Your time cleaning with a pressure washer and de greaser.
New fuid. Around $ 100 max all up.
Drum t series with lsd could be shagged, much cheaper to fix your s series.
Obviously t series rear is better for long term but its not the first mod worth doing if you haven't done suspension and motor, brakes etc.

dove grey 64
5th March 2014, 03:52 PM
You may have to replace wheel brake cylinder boots (im sure that's not the tech term but im mentally disabled at the moment and im sure someone will correct me)
If they have perished. Dont cake them in degreaser if they are in good shape

Matt
5th March 2014, 04:10 PM
Easy to swap the seals and cheap as chips. The t series will bolt straight up.

focus_7
5th March 2014, 04:16 PM
Axle seals about $15 each. X2
Drum shoes about $50 a set, need to change if coated in diff oil.
Your time cleaning with a pressure washer and de greaser.
New fuid. Around $ 100 max all up.
Drum t series with lsd could be shagged, much cheaper to fix your s series.
Obviously t series rear is better for long term but its not the first mod worth doing if you haven't done suspension and motor, brakes etc.

Seems like a reasonably easy job. I do have a 4AGE in the car so a t-series would definitely be worthwile, I'm just not sure if im prepared to take the car off the road for too long.

Do I need to open up the diff centre to free the axle, or should I be able to 'pull' the axle out once the brake assemby is off?

Matt
5th March 2014, 05:21 PM
You undo the axle bolts and just pull them out without touching the center

Jimmee1990
5th March 2014, 05:36 PM
Axle seals are easy to change, and brake fluid is easy to clean off the drums and housing. Use proper brake cleaner, not degreaser. Just make sure when you're putting the axle back in after fitting the seal that you don't catch the seal and damage it also.

You will have to replace the shoes if they've had brake fluid on them as they will eventually just fall apart.

focus_7
5th March 2014, 10:28 PM
Cheers guys. Will the rear Axle Seal be a repco/supercheap stocked item? Or will I have to wait a week to get them delivered by toyota.