PDA

View Full Version : Will T3 Rear Big brake Kit fit on mx13 diff

Mirko
20th August 2014, 02:28 PM
So got my hands on a MX13 diff thanks to Eddie. And now working out brake options. There are a lot of options like the normal st141 path but was thinking does anyone know if the T3 kit will fit the MX13 Diff. Website says will fit standard diff and RA40 diff from celica.

Have an email into them asking for more info but wondered if anyone has done this on the fourms

Big T
20th August 2014, 06:48 PM
The ra40 type should fit the f series. I don't know if they had a different bolt flange in the usdm though. I know their ra45 came with stock disk brakes but if their ra40s are drums, it should be the same bolt pattern as what we got. Msg gabe with the bolt spacing of the f series. $950US is mega dollars for the rear brake upgrade though.

Mirko
20th August 2014, 07:32 PM
Yeah it is but it would mean no drum for handbrake right

Mirko
20th August 2014, 07:36 PM
And when u work it out it's not that much more expansive really once u get everything

Big T
20th August 2014, 07:37 PM
Drum on handbrake is better than integral caliper type. It locks better. The reason that drum only on rears is worse is due to the lack of cooling as the drum heats up. The heat has nowhere to go. That's why prop valves are needed in drum setups otherwise with full flow they will lock before the fronts.

Mirko
20th August 2014, 08:32 PM
Yeah but it's not a drift car so don't think it will make that much difference I think

Skylar
20th August 2014, 11:55 PM
Generally, anything small and disc braked has the same flange pattern. So AE86 T-series with disc brakes had the same axle tube flange pattern as the MA47 (I think these were MA45 in America). Disc brake usually means double row wheel bearings too. These are an odd '2+2' shape.

Same applies for drums, anything that was smaller (T and under) and drum braked usually has the same pattern. There are exceptions like the MX13 which was F-series but small flange. S/T/E all run the same flange so brakes swap over. The live axle RT142 had disc brakes but used the same flange too. These flanges look more like a rectangle.

To answer your question, the 'RA40 format' will fit.

Mirko
21st August 2014, 12:47 AM
OK cool. Any idea what backing plate l should use our would this come with one as there is no mention in site

Skylar
21st August 2014, 02:44 AM
Typical T3. No pictures and no info.

The kit should come with caliper mounts, calipers, pads, brakelines and probably handbrake cable or at least some sort of adaptor, maybe a dust shield. The other way to do it is to run dogbones on factory caliper mounts. So if you don't have original caliper mounts, that kit will be useless to you.

Wait, I'm so confused right now. RA40 I don't believe ever came with an F-series. They quote the Celica Supra rear-end which is MA46 or MA47 which is F- which is disc braked, which is the same axle tube flange as T-series disc or Corolla GT-S in their words. If they meant MA45 Celica Supra, that was T-series but disc braked, it's the same as Corolla GT-S again.

Yeah, fuck that. I'm way confused now. Ask for a picture of the caliper mounting plate and a measurement between two caliper mount holes to confirm.

Mirko
21st August 2014, 08:48 AM
Lol thanks dude have an email into them no reply yet

Mirko
21st August 2014, 01:32 PM
ok they said this "Sorry, I can not provide any of the measurements as they are proprietary"

kit comes with "Calipers,stainless lines, brackets, rotors, pads, and E-brake cables, and all mounting hardware"

Asked if it would fit MX13 F Series diff and got this

Unfortunately, the rear kit uses the factory backing plates. If you take some pics and measurements, it's possible our quad caliper bracket "might" work as it does come with backing plates. You'd have to pull the axle and measure up the pattern on the F series backing plate, where it bolts to the axle housing.

Im thinking if l get the kit for RA40 and run St141 backing plate it should work

Big T
21st August 2014, 07:34 PM
Farkin geniuses! Should've just replied with "I can't tell you if our brackets will fit because we're jerks."

The st141 may have different caliper mounts so their bracket may not fit. You need the bolt spacing and the distance of the caliper from the centre of the axle. Either that or ask for the dimensions of their ra40 backing plate. Or is that confidential as well!

The other thing you can do is modify and existing pair of ae86 disk caliper brackets to take your tube flange. It's not hard to do.

Skylar
21st August 2014, 08:45 PM
Aaaaaaaand that's about the amount of service I'd expect from T3. If they had even a shitty picture, we'd be able to figure out what it was and whether it would work. Ugh. Never dealt with them, and never will.

If you still want to deal with them, ask them if any of their brake kits will fit an SR-5 diff. They should understand them words. If you want to use a picture it's the diff tube flange to the left in the picture below.
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g122/plate2169/MA46_AE86%20Axle%20Swap/MA46_AE86AxleSwap4.jpg

The ST141 caliper mounts are same as drum braked S/T/E series and most likely different to AE86 caliper as the corona stuff has drum handbrake. I could be completely wrong but they are totally different systems.

Mirko
21st August 2014, 11:54 PM
this is what the website says

We offer this kit in two formats. The first format fits the stock AE86 GTS 6.7" rear end. The second format fits the RA40 7.5" rear end from the Celica Supra 1979--1981. The Celica Supra rear end swap is popular on high HP AE86s.

Skylar
22nd August 2014, 01:10 AM
Wait, I'm so confused right now. RA40 I don't believe ever came with an F-series. They quote the Celica Supra rear-end which is MA46 or MA47 which is F- which is disc braked, which is the same axle tube flange as T-series disc or Corolla GT-S in their words. If they meant MA45 Celica Supra, that was T-series but disc braked, it's the same as Corolla GT-S again.

Yeah, fuck that. I'm way confused now. Ask for a picture of the caliper mounting plate and a measurement between two caliper mount holes to confirm.

That's what this post was in reference to.

Mirko
26th August 2014, 09:09 AM
Lol now I am as well. Hmm think need alot more research as don't even have backing plates yet

Big T
26th August 2014, 12:34 PM
The other thing you can do is modify and existing pair of ae86 disk caliper brackets to take your tube flange. It's not hard to do.

Do this. I just so happen to have a pair lying around :)

Mirko
26th August 2014, 01:46 PM
OK lets do that eddy then l can just order the brake kit for the GTS diff they offer and should be fine l think