PDA

View Full Version : Popping noise coming from Rear when taking off

pkjai
16th August 2009, 08:19 PM
I have now spent the last days researching everything can find from the forum but didn't come across any similar topic. Recently,it began to make a popping noise from the rear of the car when taking off. Not straight away either. After a few revolutions of the wheels with some struggle to move (with my right foot on the accelerator), it would make the popping noise when moving. especially when the car is on a slope of a hill(i.e traffic lights on a hill) or doing a turn.

This noise and struggle does not happen all the time. Went to the mechanic and failed to find the fault. I am using a 1.5 lsd. :worried::worried:

shift_rook
16th August 2009, 08:21 PM
possible exhaust leak, my mate had a similar problem

Cerby86
16th August 2009, 11:07 PM
does it only do it when your on the accelerator
or when your off the accelerator slowing down or going down hill
or all the time?

I had a massive exhaust leak and it struggled to accelerate and chuffed like a train, but when i got off the accelerator it cackled and popped heaps!! Was very funny going through town but impossible to put up with!!!

Vezza
16th August 2009, 11:16 PM
Yeah does the sound seem to come from the exhaust of from the diff? Hopefully it's a simple exhaust leak.

pkjai
17th August 2009, 01:09 AM
Cerby86 -> it happen on both accelerating & going down the hill.

sounded more like exhaust leak now! :yeah:

any recommended exhaust places in Sydney.

Cerby86
17th August 2009, 01:25 AM
mmm I wouldn't think it would pop under acceleration though. What motor and ecu?
surey if it was an exhaust leak a mechanic would have spotted it. And an exhaust leak would effect the car all the time.
maybe your loosing ignition spark?

drift kid
17th August 2009, 08:52 AM
my exhaust does that, sounds funny lol, should get it fixed.

pkjai
17th August 2009, 12:25 PM
Its a BT engine with stock ECU.

The issue doesnt happen all the time, that makes me wonder if I have a faulty LSD too.

Dish
17th August 2009, 01:05 PM
My diff has recently started doing the sound you describe not sure what it is yet, but it sounds like there's just alot of play in the CW&P in my car. Exhaust leak sounds sort of inprobable for the situation when it does do it.

pkjai
17th August 2009, 01:38 PM
what does CW&P mean?? so you reckon that I might have a faulty diff

todd
17th August 2009, 01:43 PM
Crown Wheel and Pinion.

Cerby86
17th August 2009, 01:58 PM
its incredibly hard to say without hearing the noise and seeing what happens.
Basically there are really only three things back there that could make a noise like you say.
The exhaust, the diff and the suspension maybe.
a popping exhaust would sound very different to a noisy diff or suspension.
but if it is the exhaust the cause might not be the exhaust itself but something your engine is doing.

ae86
17th August 2009, 02:23 PM
yeah i dont think would be exhaust cause of the thing on uphill as you said ? i got an exhaust leak and just makes a popping noise when i let off throttle or as soon as i touch it again just a few little pops, as far as cw&p i dno if its that i jus got lots of whineing from mine.