View Poll Results: is carbon fibre cool or tacky?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cool

37 68.52%
  • tacky

17 31.48%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: is carbon fibre cool/tacky?

Name
    Robbo
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

As with most things... Good in moderation

Former Cars: 1992 300zxTT ***SOLD*** ----------------1984 Daily 20v AE86 ***PARTED OUT*** =(
    1983 Daily GZE86 **No Longer**sniff**-------------------------1984 JDM Daily ***SOLD***
    2001 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7 GSR--------------------------'Sonic' 2012 Blue Toyota 86 GTS ***SOLD***
    Current Cars:
    Project Ugly Duckling - 1984 AE86 SR drift car ------------------Daily JDM Trueno GT-APEX hatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerby86 View Post
    I said it cos it is possibly one of the stupidest things I have ever read on this forum. And I remember when Klutch was on here so that is saying something!!

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i did a composites course at uni last year. and any sort of composite material is FREEKING AWESOME STUFF.

i went and saw the military helicopters (tiger) being built out at brisbane airport etc. very very VERY cool.

when you start anlysing the forces the stuff can take and when you consider how much material is being used. its quite incredible.

it must also be noted that the structure of the carbon composite is what makes it strong. you can have some carbon fibre, and if its been constructed wrong and put into the wrong job it will be no good. carbon fibre is exactly that a fibre. so its only strong the inaxial direction. it is USELESS in the transverse direction. so there needs to be layers in the directions that is needed to be strong. the resin isnt strong at all, although they are getting better but thats what you pay for.

as for its worthyness on cars? meh. its cool. and expensive. id like to make some things from it. just to say ive made some things from carbon fibre. though im sure it wouldnt be pretty. and would be an expensive procedure.

its brittle though. so not really suited to anyone that cant afford to replace it. or repair it. which is very possible, but there is an art to it. and arts are expensive.
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5