Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast

Thread: custom steering Knuckles and getting max lock

Name
    Lawrence
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

For all those suggesting that shortening the steering arms further in this instance is going to increase lock... take a step back and think about it. By shortening the arms you're actually going to decrease the available lock because the arm will bind against the control arm sooner in the steering arc. The reason for going shorter steering arms is change the lever ratio of the arm thus achieving further steering travel with the same rack. The downside of this is increased steering effort. So in otherwords if your steering arm hits the control arm before the rack actually comes to the end of its travel you're wasting steering effort for no gain.

In summary, if blair were to run shorter arms than what he has now, it'd simply result in less lock and greater steering effort.

There is something to be said about changing the ackerman angle you'd potentially gain more lock, but you'd see bigger results with a notched LCA and relocated rack as has been suggested.

Name
    Jason
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

So who are the people we talk to about getting arms modified?
    How do you get hold of JDI?
    Ive got P/S arms I wanna get the ackerman cut out.

Name
    Johl
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Don't use your ps arms. I sold my old ones and got jdi ones and it didnt cost me anything in the end. I can't remember who the guy was that contacted me about it but if you search my threads I put up a wtb about it. I would go there and get his name but I'm on my iPhone
    stroked 2L ca18-ae86 in the build...eta xmas 2012?

Name
    Leigh
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

No one has suggested just shortening the steering arms, the biggest gains from knuckles is the reduced ackerman angle which will actually gain you tie rod to lca clearance on lock. Hence getting more lock (and more front end grip and better feel also).

With notching the lca and moving the rack forward you would gain a little lock but for alot of effort/cost. Or you could just change knuckles, leave the rack in the standard position and not touch the lca. And you would gain massive amounts of lock (if you had enough tyre to castor rod clearance). And the benifit of better front grip and feel, which you wouldn't get with natched lca and moved rack.

Name
    Leigh
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

For all JDI knuckle enquires contact Inverse tyres, all there details are here: .

Name
    Tom
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Blair have you checked that it is actually the tierod hitting the lca that is limited lock? check if the tie rod ball joint thingo stops on the end of the rack.
    i am using corona knuckles (125mm bolt spacing) with 22mm longer LCA's (no camber tops, guessing around 2-2.5 degrees of camber), maxed out caster rods, when i got an alignment it was about 5.5 degrees, with a lock spacer i made that allows 25mm extra rack travel. (longer than the ajps ones)
    running performance hurricanes (8j -10) with 185/60's

i would say i have about the same if not a little bit more lock than you, i was running into the same problems as you, front scrapes on the tub, rear scrapes on the inner guard/tub/rail whatever that part is (this was when i had standard lca's, fixed it with longer lca's), and the brake line where it comes through.
    i also had problems like castor rod bolts hitting the strut bolts, might want to check that isnt hitting,

another thing i can think of is that physically the xt130 LCAs might be thicker than standard ones? i have never measured that shit so i wouldnt know, might be something to check.

only pictures i have of my lock for reference

[img][/img]
    Last edited by Hachi_Tom; 27th November 2011 at 04:52 PM.

Name
    Sam
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

does anyone know of a god diy article on making knuckles

ps im not welding them myself i can't weld for shit haha
    you play halo?
    add me GT: samnbhnc

Veteran
    Name
    John
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

Why bother with DIY knuckles when proven/cheap options are readily available in Australia? Leighs JDI knuckles are mint! Back when I paid $350-$400 for my heyman knuckles these options weren't around! That money would now nearly buy 4 pairs!

Name
    Jason
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Ae86 knuckles are hands down the easiest to modify.. So simple..

My current setup. Is cut knuckles. a fair amount shorter and roughly 1/3 the factory angle. Adjustable LCA that I have MASSIVELY notched and is wound out almost as fat as it will go. relocated castor arm. AJPS lock spacer And moved the rack for approximately 25-30mm
    With the setup the way it is now My tyre rubs the chassis and I still have rack travel left. To gain more angle I need to make the LCA longer. Which requires cutting and adding and also I need to find longer rack ends.. Using celica ones at the moment which are longer then 86 but need to be even longer again.

Also considering another set of knuckles. with 0 or even anti ackerman. and not as short.. Which will allow more angle befor bind aswell..

And this is another issure I run into if I run rediculas castor.. Roughly 10 degrees in this pic..
    Last edited by --Redwork--; 28th November 2011 at 04:45 PM.

Name
    Sam
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

do jdi make s13 knuckles?
    how much?
    will it be less then $100
    probably not
    and the guy im getting to weld mine is 59 years old and has owned his own metal workshop for a bit over 30 years so i have 100% faith in his welds
    you play halo?
    add me GT: samnbhnc

Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 LastLast