Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Pauls 4AGTE Sprinter

Name
    Rob
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Yeah that's fine Paul, is much decided to keep it anyway will be keeping an eye on your build
    ハチロク

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Ok so the gearbox is sorted, just picked up a W57 with tailshaft of ebay. Just have to sort the bell housing and a diff and I will be ready to rock and roll.

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Just dropped the coin on the diff, it is a cut down Commodore diff with KAAZ 2 way and already modified to suit the AE86. Also paid for a Toycoolrolla Bell housing that should be here in a couple of weeks. Should all being going together over Christmas for a run up at Wakefield in the New Year.

Cheers
    Paul

Name
    Joe
    State
    NT
    Country
    Australia

Online statement time

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Ok so while I am waiting for the diff and bell housing to turn up I thought that I would do a couple of odd jobs.

First of all I wacked in a new set of tie rod ends as the others were looking a little the worse for wear and I finally got around to putting in some proper T3 upper hats for the coil overs. This has made a massive difference to the weight of the steering so I am very happy with that (thanks Joel).

The other job that needed doing was that the turbo had to come off. Once of the studs on the exhaust manifold snapped when it was on the dyno last and I havn't had time to fix it so I have popped the turbo off to put a new one in.

While the turbo was off I have decided that I wanted it to come on boost a little earlier. At the moment it is running a 0.60 A/R exhaust housing but I still had the 0.49 A/R one fro the old turbo. The turbine wheels are the same so it is just a case of swapping the housings over. Once it is all on and ready to go I might drop it back to Autotech for another dyno run to see what the difference is in spool ect. If I can get it to come on sooner with a similar top end it should make it very nice to drive.

Oh well back to the shed to pull the gearbox and diff so that when the new stuff turns up I am ready to go.

Hoping to get up to Wakefield early in the new year to give it a decent run and get it set up properly before the hill climb starts in April.

Cheers
    Paul

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I forgot to add that I ported the wastegate on the old housing as well to give it a little bit more flow. I know that it doesn't sound like much but if you can make the hole 4mm bigger overall then you get around 30% increase if flow capacity so it is reasonably substantial.

Name
    Andrew
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

First trip of the journey in style!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356235707273.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	27783  

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Andrew you are a scholar and a gentleman. When do you want me to pick it up? Also are you putting the new motor in while you are home?

Name
    Paul
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Today's random discovery is that when you rotate a garrett turbo and put the wastgate actuator on the back of the housing you end up with a hole in the compressor cover that lets all the boosty goodness out.

Both my turbo's a T25 and T25G have this problem. Looking from the front you would think that they are just blanks that have been drilled and tapped but one of them goes right through to the inside of the housing so if you don't blank it off you are letting out boost which is going to make the turbo have to spin much faster to develop the same boost and make your boost response shit.

So if you have done the same thing as me find yourself a spare M6 bolt and pop it in there. It is not near the wheel so it won't matter if it is a little on the long side but the turbulence might effect the boost a little bit. I will measure just how long it should be and post it up. I have circled the offending bit on the attached photos.

Cheers
    Paul

Name
    JoJo
    State
    ACT
    Country
    Australia

That was drilled Paul.... They dont come like that...

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast