Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Tom's RA65 Coupe

Name
    Guy
    State
    qld
    Country
    Australia

some presents arrived for the red dragon today!

a 1982 usdm ma61, 5m-ge AFM AND THROTTLE BODY!!!

the reason the model and year of ma61 is so specific is because i needed a specific part number afm and throttle body.
    this particular models afm is a direct plug and play unit that shares the same electronics and plug as the standard afm and its about +20% larger internally. which is a hell good upgrade for the shitty restrictive standard 22r afm.

inside of 5m afm

plug

toyota part number 22250-43110
    nd part number 197110-3020

5m on left 22r on right

above 22r below 5m

5m AFM installed, needed a new intake pipe as the new AFM has a 3'' inlet and outlet. perfect for my pod filter. but not perfect for the original 2 3/4 inch intake pipe.

comparison pic of throttles.

also the TB off this particular mk2 supra shared the same TPS electronics and plug and also has a wheel type throttle linkage which is easier to attach than the slide type linkage that is on some other 5m engines. This TB is 60mm which again is a decent upgrade from the standard 55mm unit.

the plan with the throttle body is to get the pelenum off a newer 22r out of a 4runner or similar. it apparently has better flow characteristics. i will then bore out the TB flange to suit the 60mm 5mge TB and then figure a way to get the throttle linkage adapted and working before swapping out the old gear for new.

The AFM however went straight in. no issues. works fine, car idles and drives as per usual. however when driven in anger it is a fair bit more punchy, the engine note is more aggressive and the power extends deeper into the rev range. The engine was choking on the restrictive old AFM. this AFM allows the upgraded cam to breathe and do its job right. The engine as a whole has only a little more max power but is much more rev happy with a better longer power curve.
    So just keep in mind the next time ur at a drift meet and someone asks u why ur not out there ripping it up with the other sikunts, don't say "I'm waiting for my coilovers to arrive" or "my gf wont let me drive sideways", u say "I flatspotted my tyres on my HUUUGE 120km/hr entry and if u missed that then ur TOO LATE BIATCH"

Name
    Guy
    State
    qld
    Country
    Australia

im thinking this afm and tb upgrade will be a massive help when i come to attempt my sc12 mod in the near future
    So just keep in mind the next time ur at a drift meet and someone asks u why ur not out there ripping it up with the other sikunts, don't say "I'm waiting for my coilovers to arrive" or "my gf wont let me drive sideways", u say "I flatspotted my tyres on my HUUUGE 120km/hr entry and if u missed that then ur TOO LATE BIATCH"

Name
    Chris
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

looking good mate, bit different to see the 22r worked but good to see it's rewarding, get up some vids

Name
    Guy
    State
    qld
    Country
    Australia

haha yeah thanks! 22r isnt the most popular choice is it. im just working it a bit, on a budget. just to get a little more useable power while i concentrate on chassis and handling etc before swapping to beams.

ill hopefully have some footage that is sensible to post sometime soon :p

Name
    Beau
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Awesome
    full time mechanic... part time toyota tech lol

Name
    Guy
    State
    qld
    Country
    Australia

UPDATE!

got the red dragon's rear tyres for matsuri today. hopefully these will last a few events. depending on how similar the compound is to lego car wheels.

Name
    Beau
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

the china tyre factory called they want there stock back lol
    full time mechanic... part time toyota tech lol

Name
    Sam
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

i call dibs on 22r parts when you go beams!!! hahah

Name
    Guy
    State
    qld
    Country
    Australia

lol. theres a few of them isnt there

got new coilovers and brake rotors with green stuff pads (s13 front and mx73 rear)

its a mixed set. s13 front ae86 rear. spring rates are 8kg front 6kg rear

they are "BC" coilovers. not my first pick but they were cheap and available. I wasn't expecting much so i was pleasantly surprised to find that they seem like pretty good quality. we shall see how they perform in the long term.

i like the way that the adjustable spring seat fitted. its all in nice and snug.

fresh rotors and pads look great.

took it out for a spin and to start bedding in the pads.
    the coilovers are pretty good so far. have them set to 18/30 on the front and 25/30 on the rear. I might dial fronts down to 15 and then 12 as im finding its a little more understeer biased and a little skittish over rough surfaces in the front than it used to be.
    other than that, the new sussy is nice as it makes NO NOISE! the old stuff was all shagged out in the pillowballs etc was making some terrible thumping and creaking. also its more comfortable that the old stuff. actually its ride is quite reasonable.

will take pics of stance tomorrow maybe.

Name
    John
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

your rear spring perch is upside down.
    the adjustable perch sits at the top against the body. and the spring coil sits on the lower trailing arm.

Apart from that , good shit man!!
    coFF33.wordpress.com
    ^^^^^^^
    Toyota Love and other junk about my life

ODIN GARAGE CREW est. 2008

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast