Thread: KKR 280.. experiances..

Name
    Jason
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Default KKR 280.. experiances..

Thinking about useing a KKR 280 turbo on my GZE.
    J
    ust looking for ppls experiances with them.. good bad average. power results and drivability. and any comparable sugestions...

Trying to do everything on a limited budget and this is my daily drive car not my track hack so it has to be pleasant to drive..

Cheers guys..

Name
    Ben
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

Something that small will still be somewhat responsive, biggest issue with the KKR turbos is the wastegate. Switch it to external gate straight up and you shouldnt have any issues.

I know Eddie and Lleyton/Crab used to run them, they'd have more of an idea on reliability of them.
    Member of the Cable-Tie Cartel.

Name
    Pat
    State
    TAS
    Country
    Australia

think beau toasted one or two?
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

Name
    Nic
    State
    Victoria
    Country
    Australia

Yeh I had one with external gate. Made good responsive power 185rwkw at 16 psi. I can sell it to u if u want but it may need oil seals but I'll sell it pretty cheap pm me if ur interested.

Name
    Aaron
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

i havent used kkr280 but fitted bigger ones to a skyline and some silvia's. i have customers buy their own turbos cause the company in wa that sold them says they are hit or miss. if you dont get a dud they will last a while, but high chance of getting a dud.

luckily tho the ones ive fitted have been alright

Name
    Eddie
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

i had one with an external gate, still had internal gate working tho, made 170kw on 16psi fkn ripped hard, i had an issue with the chaina external so had the internal machined out to hold boost pressures beter,(owed me $800 by then) worked, had it running for 2 events after that and, the thrust bearing gave up and the comp wheel was chopping out the comp cover haha sold it for 50 bucks. Lesson learnt dont bother with junk!!!!

ive been rolling garrets for 3 years now over 20psi every event never missed a beat!!!!

i was reading something interesting in hpi the other day about turbos adn they were saying turbos with smaller gates were built for diesel applications and a reason they fail so readily on a petrol engine is the EGT are twice that of a diesel engine and are only meant to run at lower boost
    AE86 THE BEST

Name
    Gareth
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

i run a kkr300 on my gze, has a 0.64 rear as opposed to a 0.49, not very laggy at all and has heaappps of midrange pull. I still havent had a final tune but on 12psi it has loads more power than it did running 12psi through the blower. I used a die grinder to port the internal wastegate hole as it is far too small from factory, gave it an extra couple of mm in diameter. For the price you can get them for i reakon they are ok, think about how long you will keep the car in its current form for. I only expect to get 6-12 months out of mine but for around $400 (got a very good deal for it new) i dont really care, i factor in budget for another 3 before it matches the price of a new Garrett, and that gives me anywhere from 2-4 years of driving potentially. And in any case between now and then i will have sold the car and moved onto another project!!

Name
    Jason
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

Geez.. $400 would be nice... I'll go hit up a freind tomorow and see what he can hook me up a Garrett for... Not super keen on the thought of having to stuff around with dud turbos... I won't have the time. I need my car and can't afford to be sitting idle waiting for replacments..

Name
    Eddie
    State
    SA
    Country
    Australia

even go a t28 non bb turbo cheap and reliable under 14psi, pick em up for around $200-400 and they spool up harder than the bb version!!!!
    AE86 THE BEST

Name
    Reeece
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

I strong recommend hyper gear turbos due to them using all Garrett parts. They have been around for awhile in the Nissan forums. I am using a atr28 .64 161rwkw on 15 psi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast