Thread: hoons towed in Homebush... .with added hachi love

Name
    Ed
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Hey boys,

I'm also a hachi owner and i read that article in the paper the other day. Even though the cops were giving "Mr Nguyen" a hard time they were right on defecting his car.

If you look at the pics of the hachi in the paper, they were defecting him on the fact that he had put a surge tank inside the boot of his car. The surge tank looked like he had been put together with two paper clips and a couple bits of string. This type of setup isn't even legal for the track, what would it justifiable to be on the street? Nguyen also told them that he smoked in his car, if the surge tank had leaks in it then the vapour from the fuel has the possibility to ignite.

I had to say that when i read this story i too was upset that they had called a hachi a "celica" but atleast it takes the pressure off us other hachi drivers so good on Mr Nguyen.

But all in all you couldn't help but laugh at him, poor fella. lol

Name
    Jason O.N
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

hey there, my surge tank isn't put together with two paper clips and a couple bits of string.its bolted down. 20% what i sed was in the paper was true. for one they asked me if i smell petrol in the car i sed nope, then they asked me if i smoke? n i answered yes.....another cop laugh at me, i wasnt laughing at all . n i told him its a AE86 stupid noob. my defects where, almost 30yo stock seat which seemed to be not bolted down, one water jet not workin, cat converter to low (not car), exhaust to big (not loud), no spare wheel and what killed they found the surge tank under my NRMA vest...

Name
    Akio
    State
    Other
    Country
    Japan

i have seen this set up in jasons car, its the same one in 90% of AE86's using a VL fuel pump and off the shelf surge tank.

now having said that, it is not illegal to run a surge tank in the boot. it is however illegal to have it not sealed in an a fireproof container and/or seperated by a firewall.
    so if you have a AE86 coupe you could fit the surge tank in the boot and fit a sheet of metal (aluminium, stainless, whatever) where the seats used to be or on the inside of the boot backing the seats and your legal.
    if you have a hatch, and you seal your fuel setup (not air tight) securely from the rest of the cabin then your ok.

all this is required in the chance that there is a fire in fuel system so it can be seperated from the rest of the car and you can get out without risk of injury.

you can debate this with your local constabulary, but your still going to get a defect and have to prove your correct...

guilty until proven innocent..

you say its not even legal for the track.
    have you had a good look and the fuel set ups in many track cars? they very closely mimick this set up..
    Last edited by xero; 23rd March 2010 at 08:39 AM.

Name
    Phuoc
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

its a loosing fight untill we come up with a plan... to win

AND i agree with what xero said. people need to put more though in their cars... sydney siders need to stand up and have their say..
    Last edited by evil86; 23rd March 2010 at 07:19 PM.
    Pick up Sydney
    Pics can be sent by phone
    Emails ignored
    Texts ignored
    Private numbers ignored
    Wankers abused

Name
    Ed
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Personally, i love my car. I spend atleast 1 hour making sure my car works properly which includes fixing things that are broken and servicing my car. You got defected on not maintaining your car properly which hopefully will teach you to remember to do this.

1. Tighten the bolts on your seat. Takes 5 mins.

2. Buy a new water jet from repco. Price 5 dollars - takes 5 mins to put in.

3. Buy a spare wheel, If you have a flat you'll f&*% your rims. Nuff said.

4. If your going to do something to your car, do it right. Your representing all the other hach drivers out there. If you want to be treated properly don't break the rules.

By the way when i say that its put together with "a couple of paper clips and some bits of string
    it only means that you didn't put it in legally. (Ie in a sectioned off area of the car)

You have to admit you f'd yourself by not looking after your own car.

Name
    Ed
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

"now having said that, it is not illegal to run a surge tank in the boot. it is however illegal to have it not sealed in an a fireproof container and/or seperated by a firewall.
    so if you have a AE86 coupe you could fit the surge tank in the boot and fit a sheet of metal (aluminium, stainless, whatever) where the seats used to be or on the inside of the boot backing the seats and your legal.
    if you have a hatch, and you seal your fuel setup (not air tight) securely from the rest of the cabin then your ok."

1. The hachi that he had was a hatch = Yes. So no seperation from surge or fuel tank.
    2. Did he have a peice of sheet metal blocking the surgetank or boot area off = No.
    3. No seperation or container to seperate the surge tank = Illegal, you said it yourself.
    4. Was his set up legal? No = defect.
    5. He should learn his lesson. If your a serious enthusiast about your vehicle then set up the bloody car right.

Xero, When i mentioned that it wasn't legal for the surgetank to be in the car like that i was refering to his specific set up. I'm fully aware that a surge tank can legally be in the boot if its blocked off, but poor jonn didn't do that. So was it installed properly? No.

By the way same rules apply for track cars, it needs to be seperated. So regardless of wether or not most "mimick this set up" it still doesn't mean it complies to the rules.

Breaking the rules = detention = defect

Name
    Ed
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

Win? The only way we can win is show the public that we are responsible enthusiasts that love Hachi's. How do we do that? Simple. Spend the time and obviously the money to make your car perform and handle the way you want.... Legally.

If you want to drift and speed, then build a track car.

If you want your car to drive nicely on the road with no hastles then put some thought into making the car legal for the road. I'm not saying you shouldn't make it perform well with some good aftermarket or modded parts i just mean that you should do it responsibly.

THAT is the ONLY way we can "win".

Banned

Unfortuately that is the only way we can win and the law is the law. Sure its fun having all fibre glass panels for a street car but there is still rules to follow and if you dont follow them then accept the consequences. I think most of the arguements are about their reasons like pod filter getting soaked in fuel and catching on fire, or show off valve letting contaminated air into the atmosphere when theirs more chemical in exhaust fumes or smoking. Or car to low it might flip on a speed bump when most people in lowered cars drive like snails over them. List goes on but we can't argue the fact who shot who when you clearly had the gun and pulled the trigger. We can only argue our reasons why for a slap on the wrist not a kick in the ass. The law see us "hoons" and i use that term bluntly as potential danger and if we can get a message out for everyone to be responsible then soon we will be the last target on their list. We just need to prove ourselves and show them that a hoon is not an enthusaist we are completly different as a hoon can be in a stock car and driving like a moron. I for one drive like a grandma on the street....and only once i got pulled over as i was in a stock pulsar doing 110km on the F3 while i was on my red Ps. For the past five years ive got nothing..touch wood.

We need a way to get a message to every community whether itll be ford or even commodore owners. Even reach out for 60yr old MG drivers. Get all enthusaist together and prove we different from hoons and don't target us rather target the dangerous driving...then defect him for all you like.

We will never win the defect law but atleast we can help point them in the right direction.

Name
    Akio
    State
    Other
    Country
    Japan

my my thats a high horse you have there...

richard you make perfect sense. but unfortunately its minority that ruin it for the majority. but the police need to take some blame here too.
    too many times i have been at a car event (supernats at oran last year springs to mind, also a few WSID days/nights) and leaving and the coppers are sitting there defecting every car that rolls passed. when the people who were at the track doing the right thing are getting stung leaving there is something wrong with the system.

Banned

Indeed Adam my friends and I attend a car event either at oran park (RIP) eastern creek etc almost every weekend weather itll be compak attak, small drifts events, private track days, even bogan events and 9 times outta 10 the cops are waiting at the exit defecting people as they leave which i believe is BS. But i remember back in like 2005 after a drift event some stupid comomdore driver decided to try drifting as he was leaving and hit a tree at oran parks gates. Now again if that small handful of people didnt do that shit they wouldnt be there. So while the police are waiting for something stupid they decide to defect us instead my mates a cop and the first thing he noticed when he joined the force was everyone was all of a sudden the slowest and safest drivers. So instead of setting up a defect station they should just camoflage the cars hid in a bush and wait for Johno or Davo in there VL to HOON past at rediculous speeds.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast