Thread: issues with servo tester

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Default issues with servo tester

hi guys I have been trying to use a servo tester with an auto and manual mode and when I try and use it it seems to make the motor act different than how it would with the wireless controller.

I have the servo tester going into a motor speed controller and a high current outrigger brushless.

When I use it it seems to only use part of the travel to do the same thing. Anyone ever use these things properly?

Gunner

Home made or purchased? Not very familiar with them though. Whats it for, and what is this wireless controller?

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

I have bought a new Hobbyking in house model which I have not tried but the previous one was an ebay job.

When I say wireless controller its what you put in the car/plane/thingy that you plug your servos into, oh yeah they call them a received whoops.

These things are intended for replacing the receiver and replicating their function without the remote control bit. This is so I can use brushless engines made for planes on other things, it just so happens that these engines are independantly unbeatable in price, power, weight and size.

Gunner

like this sorta thing, or something else?

I'm not very good with electric stuff, so i am a bit lost at what you are trying to do.

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

could be, have a look at this one though

this is the one I am using right now

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

no sorry I am using this one right now:

Name
    Phil
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Late Reply.

Could be relating to where the power (current) is coming from. Does the ESC for the brusless motor have a uBEC? are you ading power through the battery connection on the tester?

May have to disengage the uBEC on the ESC.

OR try setting the tester to -100% travel, as most ESC require 'arming' at the lowest possible throttle position, to avoid hard (hi powered) starts.

Phil.

Bad Email Address
    Name
    Paul
    State
    N.S.W
    Country
    Australia

I may be a bit simple but I don't understand what you are trying to do. Servo testers are for diagnosing if you have a dud servo or if the problem is elsewhere (receiver/speed controller/transmitter).

A dumb question but I will ask anyway - You are using a brushless speed controller (ESC) with your brushless motor aren't you? Are you using Li-Po batteries and what voltage are you running at?

Servo's usually run at 6 Volt and sometimes servo testers sometimes reduce this voltage further.

Without fully understanding what you are doing I cannot offer more help.

Name
    Phil
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

at a guess, i think sam is trying to use the tester to control the ESC, inturn to control the brushless motor.

If he is using the ECS's uBEC, voltage should not be a problem, but i am unsure if a servo tester can work like this.

if he is running a seperate batt pack, then the he may need to disable the BEC (disengage or cut the red wire).

also, as it seems to work (but not fully or correctly), it maybe that the ESC is not arming properly.. (set tester to -100% travel)

Bad Email Address
    Name
    Paul
    State
    N.S.W
    Country
    Australia

One would think it would be a lot easier if he used a transmitter and receiver to do that. What is the benefit of using a tester in this situation?

Ok, lets forget about the ESC for a moment, what will he use to control the steering (rudder/aileron etc).

I'm still struggling to understand why he is doing all this in the first place when systems that are already tried and true are avaliable very cheaply.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast