Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: s13 front end V *E7* front end??

Name
    Leigh
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

Smile s13 front end V *E7* front end??

hey all,

ill explain my situation.. I currently have a 4age *E7*, im considering a swap for a mates *E7* that is only a stock 4k, but comes with s13 crossmember- steering rack- control arms etc.. all to suit a corolla. also included in the sale is an r31 diff to suit corolla. (obviously with cash ontop of the swap)

my plan for the car is a ca18det conversion.

my question is, what are peoples opinions on running the s13 front end compared to the corolla front end? a fair few members on this forum are totally against the idea of it, but some others have chosen to run it.. how does it rate (driving wise) in relation to making up mounts to suit a corolla crossmember? i know the s13 setup is wider but that isn't an issue im concerned about!

cheers,
    leigh.

Name
    Sam
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

if the whole lot has been converted with the rack and all then I don't think it's a geometry fail like just putting coilovers in. Now if you don't mind me asking why isn't going wider an issue your concerned about?
    My website: SQ Engineering - 4AGE and 3SGE upgrade/replacement parts

- SQ Engineering on facebook -

Please e-mail to contact me instead of sending a private message on here.

Name
    Leigh
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

pretty much ive seen the setup used in a corolla before, (its leigh pidwells ex' ke70 setup) and it wasn't outrageously wider, the setup also had a shitload of lock, so it all seems pretty decent (due to it being suited to a corolla).. the wheels that i plan on running should still be under the guards pending on how good my flairing/bogging skills are, and when i take it to the track ill just run different wheels with a better offset

Name
    Calvin
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

leighs car wasn't wide because he was running adjustable lca's. you can run r31 arms anyway and that'll give you a bolt in track decrease.
    T18 in the build

Gone
    Name
    Joel
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

i wouldnt bother -You need to ask yourself - Y the S13 front end, and what benifits does it have?
    R31 diff's are to wide unless u get them shortened.
    you already have a 4age, you can get just as much or even more lock with the ae86 front end with some good bits.
    i could bet that it would be cheaper for you to keep your car and mod the front end with some good bits.
    Run the 4ag for a while, save for the CA + F series diff and sell your 4a.

Wanna know more PM SR_Rolla or read the thread about this in the tech section

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

ive had s13 gear for around 3years now.

s13 LCAs, ca18 brakes (250mm x 18mm)

ive gone through 2 different sets of coilovers and 2 pairs of springs trying to find a good setup.

the problem is, finding "Soft" coilovers is difficult for s13. maybe if you bought brand new ones, but that defeats the benefit of s13 gear being a cheap alternative.

i reckon i have found a good setup now, but its definately not been cheap.

you need REALLY long coilover body, base adjustable is a MUST. it will just be too low otherwise.

i am in the process of reverting back to ae86 gear though, it has cost a fair bit more, but the main reason i am converting back is the legality. to much drama getting a mod plate for s13 gear, ive tried, too much track and engineers dont like the idea of bolting random parts into cars. its true you can use r31 arms to kill some track. my car looks pretty dumb with so much track on the front, and not as much on the rear. i got a pretty sweet deal with the ae86 coilovers/brakes but i still have to get some powersteering arms if i want the turning circle and lock that i have with the s13 gear

ive not yet put the ae86 stuff in, but ill be very interested to see how it compares, i know its a bit of a downgrade in brakes as the CA brakes on the s13 are very good. but with rebuilt 2022 calipers and machined rotors i think it will come pretty close to the same, ae86 stuff is 234mm brakes i think, so its not that much smaller.
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    Leigh
    State
    VIC
    Country
    Australia

sundee86 - just to clarify, the r31 diff has been shortened. as for lock on the corolla front end, i'm currently running a lock spacer + JDI custom steering arms and corona LCA's. so lock is pretty damn good IMO =)

the main reason i was considering the front end swap was due to the fact coilovers were alot cheaper, plus the setup is just sitting there..

ke70dave - im keen to know how ya new setup goes! but yeah, the brakes were definitely an upside to the front end conversion!

thanks for the info guys! i now have no idea what im gonna do ahah

cheers,
    leigh

Name
    Richard
    State
    NSW
    Country
    Australia

coilovers cost more for ae86 then s13?...or are we talking about second hand vs second hand?

cause im sure all good condition to brand new coilovers are going to be same price range for both cars, $800+ isnt much for adjustable dampers and hieght of your car in 1 package, you cant complain unless you cheaped out and got unlucky with stuffed up gear
    dose

Veteran
    Name
    Dave
    State
    QLD
    Country
    Australia

yer i think your right there Rice86,

the only "real" advantage of the setup is the bigger brakes.

the rest of it is can be had for about the same as ae86 gear.

ive only ever dealt with 2nd hand coilovers (had one set rebuilt). ive come to the point where i just want to buy exactly what i want and for it to be perfect (right spring rate, and shocks to suit) and that will cost the same weather you go ae86 of s13 gear, as new stuff is about the same cost.

the annoying part is how much people charge for ae86 struts/brakes. see standard ADM (solid disc) setups going for $400. then when you factor in coilover kit for $300, shocks $500, camber tops $300, RCAs $150, jap calipers/discs ~$300, power steering arms $200.

suddenly a pair of 2nd hand s13 coilvoers for $500, and some old s13 hubs/brakes/calipers....doesnt look so bad. and you get stiff/low suspension and epic lock all in one.

you just have to look out for good bargains to make ae86 stuff about the same price.
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't.
    - Blaise Pascal

Name
    Tom
    State
    WA
    Country
    Australia

I know what you mean. Some how the stock ae86 struts have gone up 300% in the last year or so. 2 years ago I couldn't even sell my complete stock ones for $100....

More recently I couldn't even sell my standard brakes and hubs, which i sold for a total of $80? Now people are charging like 200-250 just for that!!! It's not worth it....

Is ae86 gear THAT hard to come by now???
    1983 AE86 ADM rust spec goodness track car build - end of the road
    1984 AE86 Silver ADM mk2 daily build - SOLD
    1984 AE86 ADM granny car daily now 4AGZE - SOLD
    1983 AE86 ADM Engine Conversion Slut - SOLD
    2002 IS200 6spd - new daily in progress
    1986 AE86 JDM GT-Apex Levin Notchback ready to roll......

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast